Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What little OCD things do you do...

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I didn't know the toilet paper could be installed in another direction than over the top.
    Which is, of course, why you're a planner and not a civil engineer.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I don't think most of you have OCD; just habits. OCD interferes with daily life. It's not just how your live your life. It's compulsive stuff you have doing but can't help doing.
    Oh, we know, we can't all have OCD Just funny compulsive habits, really.

Maybe we should have a "psychological conditions you've been diagnosed with" thread.
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 21 Feb 2008 at 9:08 AM.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I don't think most of you have OCD; just habits. OCD interferes with daily life. It's not just how your live your life. It's compulsive stuff you have doing but can't help doing.
    True I should have named this thread 'What little compulsions do you do?' The even number thing comes closest to something that has to be done. My g/f will mess with me sometimes and turn the volume to an odd number in plain sight of me, it freaks me out a lil and I won't feel completely calm until it's back to an even number.

Yes, I know I am weird haha.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    "Bye" always has to be the last word I speak on the phone. A simple "see ya later" won't cut it..

Whenever I go out in public, I'm always subtlely checking to make sure my fly's up.

I have to double, triple, quadruple check that I have my keys before locking my car door...especially when there's other tasks involved like getting stuff out of the car.

I can't let my bed go un-made.

I always have to have my MP3 player when going to class.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

I know several people who have OCD. It really messes with their lives and puts them in a lot of pain. It hurts to watch them go through it and realize that you can't do anything to help them.

As for habits, things also have to be in balance, but that's a lefty thing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I have remote keyless entry on my car. It just takes one click of the button to lock all of the doors, but I click it again to hear the horn honk, I don't know why.

When I wash dishes, its always silverware first, followed by glasses, plates, pans, and finally pots.

Shirts are always arranged by colors, reds, pinks, oranges, etc.

I always shave starting on my left cheek, anything else is too hard.

Probably have a bunch more that will come to me later on.

Speaking of OCD, in high school my mom the social worker forced me to see "As Good as It Get's" at the theater when I was obsessing about my AP exams. It was a great movie, but I really didn't think I had OCD.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    toilet paper must roll over the top
    clothes in the closet must all face same direction.. (front on left)
    Windsheild must be clean
    Beer must be cold
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I realized that while the dogs have free reign of the house and back yard via their doggy door, and I know that they won't run off or bark all day in the yard, but I still have to have both of them in the house when I leave for the day.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Oh, it recalled to me what is my most OCD characteristic. I use one kind of pen - Uni-ball Vision Micro, black. In a pinch I can use a Uni-ball Micro without a huge problem. If I use another pen I am not happy. Recently I have been able to sign a check using the store's pen but I don't write the transaction ino my checkbook register until I can get home and use thr right pen!

I really like the way the pen writes. When the pen starts to not give a full, rich flow of ink, I toss it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I menitoned it before on another thread, but I've got this old rug that I have to walk on certain squares. Real Rainman stuff, I tell ya!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I agree on the gas thing. Pump must stop at $X.00 or I will settle with $X.50. Everything I sign must be in blue ink. The right pants leg, the right sock and shoe must be put on first before the left. Beverages especially pop, must be near freezing cold, if I'm at home or at work. Toilet paper must be placed on the 'over' instead of 'under'. Cash in my wallet is always higher to lower demonination and also alphabetized according to Federal Reserve bank.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Sep 2001
    If I go someplace frequently, I have to park in the same general area and preferably the same parking spot. When I park in large lots I always park under a light, even if it means having to walk a long distance across a parking lot.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I have to work the sudoku puzzle first, before I can read the rest of the morning paper.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I always have to put the money in my wallet in serial number order and from low to high denomination, with the bills 'faced' and the corners unfolded.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Apr 2012, 8:21 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 09 May 2010, 2:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  4. two new things
    Introduce Yourself