Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Product Recalls

Registered
    Feb 2004

Product Recalls

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,4428760.story

Did you hear earlier in the week about the largest beef recall in history? Apparently this company out in California was butchering animals that were too sick and weak to move. I tell you between the goodies posted in the ‘insider tips’ thread and this piece of news I’m half-heartedly considering becoming a vegetarian (at least until the next batch of e. coli infested green peppers gets shipped in from Mexico – then I’ll just drink water). Who knows, maybe I could avoid some nasty karmic consequences at the same time?

What is your reaction when you hear about tainted foods or other product recalls. Did everyone giving/receiving toys this last Christmas check to see if the toys were on the Chinese lead paint list? Did anyone order Wendy’s chili the week the story ran about the lady finding a human finger in her chili? (turned out to be a hoax). How many letters have you received from your auto manufacturer instructing you to take your vehicle down to the dealership to get a part replaced or installed? Did you do it?

Our reactions to hearing about product recalls probably range from organizing boycotts/sending letters to senators and swearing off the product the rest of your life all the way to simply dusting off that layer of asbestos on your Pringles before eating them. How do you typically react?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I think you gotta put stuff like this in perspective. This doesn't happen that often, and life's too short to worry about it much. I don't think anyone even got sick from the tainted beef. And being a vegetarian wouldn't solve the problem. Remember the tainted spinach incident several months ago?
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by KSharpe View post
    I think you gotta put stuff like this in perspective. This doesn't happen that often, and life's too short to worry about it much. I don't think anyone even got sick from the tainted beef. And being a vegetarian wouldn't solve the problem. Remember the tainted spinach incident several months ago?
    Because there have been no reports of people keeling over dead or ending up paralyzed, I'm guessing most consumers will probably shrug this off. Had there been widespread illness or fatalities it would probably change folks' views considerably and cause some to swear off beef. My question, however, is intended to be more general and not really aimed at this particular product or incident.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2007
    In the past if something is on a food recall list, I may avoid it for a while even after the product is back on the shelves, i.e. Totinos Party Pizza, being a poor student at the time, I used to buy them b/c they were so cheap, but after they were recalled back in the fall I have yet to buy another one. Same with the pot pies, etc. Oftentimes I will just find something else to replace it in my buying habits and that is why I haven't bought the pizza since.

I know one of my friends is still wary of Jack In the Box after the e.coli outbreak back in the mid 90's, she still won't eat JIB.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've had a couple of cars recalled, both for minor repairs...didn't strike me as a big deal either time.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I remeber the Firestone / Ford Explorer incident. I had always had good luck with Firestone tires and didn't think too much of it.

Mrs. P got on the China lead paint issue with toys for the little one. She was very frustrated trying to find things NOT made in China.

I think our food is generally safe, but I don't waant to think about what and how the work a chicken, pig or cow slaughter house.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 28
    Last post: 29 Jan 2013, 4:06 PM
  2. Which Hostess product wil you miss ?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 5:08 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 11 Oct 2006, 5:33 PM
  4. Renovation Product List Blues
    Friday Afternoon Club