Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Playing & Improving Civilization II

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Playing & Improving Civilization II

We have a thread that allows we fair Cyburbians to comment on all of the versions of the PC game Civilization. Those posts wandered between the different versions and the posters all had their favorites.

This thread is Civilization II specific. I know from browsing the posts that a number of folks believe that Civ II is the best version. This Bear is in that demographic.

This is your chance to explain why you like (or don't like) this version, offer playing tips, and suggest what you would do to improve Civ II. Move, move, move.....FIRE !!!!
    _____

My addiction to Civ II started quite a few years ago. Eventually I lost so much sleep with this addiction that I just cold-turkey stopped playing. I resumed playing, on a laptop, when I was in the hospital for a month (with the bone marrow transplant). Because I played it quite often, especially in the latter parts of my hospital stay, I burned-out again.

A few weeks ago, at the workplace, a friend (who also loves Civ II) asked if I had played lately. "Not in 3 years" was my response. That night I started playing......dang it......once they get you in you can't get out.....
    _____

I tried Civilization III, never tried IV (even though many have suggested IV is "great"). I did not care for Civ III. Maybe this sentence can explain my take on Civ II.....

I like it for its' "simple complexity".
    _____

If I was going to make changes to Civ II I would consider the following.....

When continents and islands are only a single space away, allow the building of "specialty" bridges using the same method as when you build a temple, etc......Add in more choices when discussing your actions or the other country's actions.....Allow construction of an "ordinance depot" (a non-city location to store non-active military units that you are building).....Have a secondary page within the game that allows you to save specific comments that have flashed on the screen (now I toggle into Word and type something like "List of cities requiring an aqueduct ").....When all the city squares are "worked" and the population is expanding, allow for the city square designation to expand, also (as in "suburbs").....When two cities are relatively close and they have "worked" all the city squares, allow consolidation into a single city.
    _____

Civ II players.....what say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I liked Civ 2 much better than Civ 3. I got Civ 4 for Xmas and like it about as well as Civ 2. What I disliked most about 3 was how badly you were punished for buliding far away from the capital. They still have that penalty but for some reason it doesn't seem as bad. The one thing I liked about 3 was the introduction of the idea of 'cultural boundaries' - they've refined the concept in Civ 4 and seem to have struck the right balance.

I like in Civ 4 how if a rival civ builds a wonder before you do you're not automatically screwed being left with the choice of converting all the excess production into building something like an aquaduct or market; instead, all production devoted to the shorted wonder automatically gets converted to cash - it's more realistic. Plus there is no more converting all of your production from one wonder to another the turn before its built simply because someone else beat you.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I never played II. I started with III, gold edition, but IV simply outdoes II by so much it's incredible. I have both expansions (Warlords and Beyond the Sword), and hardly have time for them all!

By the way, if you want to get better at your play, there is a site called CivFanatics, and it's a big board. But, what helped me most was the game(s) of the month, and the succession GOTM. They give you a starting save, everyone plays the same game, and you can compare scores and strategies. In the succession game, you play as a team, passing the game between team members, and coming up with a team strategy. I recommend the place to anyone who plays any version of the game with regularity...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Civ II VS Windows 7

Civilization II does not work on Windows 7. There are a number of patches available to help it work......but this Bear is extremely non-tech/patch oriented and is not going down that road. The patches look complicated. Too much for me.

I keep my olde laptop on my desk, under the printer. It is my road to Civ II.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 37
    Last post: 10 Dec 2010, 8:40 AM
  2. Anyone else play Civilization?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 30 Jan 2006, 5:43 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Oct 2005, 7:14 PM