Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What were your portfolios like (not content related)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

What were your portfolios like (not content related)?

I will prob apply to MLA programs for 2009 (so next application cycle) and Im doing my head in wondering about what sort of chances I have for acceptance... and since a bunch of you just applied I was hoping to here some feedback/help. Was wondering how everyone formatted their portfolios? Did you have them professionally printed and bound like a book? That seems kind of expensive... is it necessary? To what lengths did you guys go/will you go?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    i printed out all the pages on nice papers myself (i am in school right now so got a good deal printing stuff out) and brought them to Kinko's to have them put together for me
    ended up spending around $15 on each portfolio. i think is worth doing it...it looks a lot more organized and show you put thoughts and care into your work
    hope it helps

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    btw
    i am at the Virginia Tech Alexandria campus doing my MLA......saw that you are in DC, you might want to check our program out

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    One copy unbound, one on heavier weight paper in a comb binding.

Courtesey of my old company...sshhhh.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    I formatted mine as well as I could in InDesign, but nothing special. Then I had the local copy place print it on nice paper and velo-bind it. Again, it wasn't the most special binding, but it made it look far more professional than staples. It was expensive, but I think worth it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Portfolios and resumes
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Aug 2009, 9:29 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 May 2009, 6:25 AM
  3. Portfolios, etc.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Jul 2008, 7:59 PM