• Ryan Leaf

1 2.38%
  • Other

2 4.76%
  • I don't know and I don't care..

3 7.14%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Greatest NFL quarterback of all-time (AIB, Favre hangs it up)

Registered
    Aug 2001

Greatest NFL quarterback of all-time (AIB, Favre hangs it up)

Ok, what are your thoughts? Who's the best?

My pick? Joe Montana....never lost a Super Bowl.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Tom Brady - he came from mediocrity and has 3 rings now - can't take that away from him -

...we'll just forget this past year...

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Voted for Dan.....also will vote him 'Best quartback to never acheive hyped potential'.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Many here in Dallas would mention that Roger is on the list, but not Troy.

I don't think I'd select Troy, but he probably deserves more than "Other" since he had three rings and an SBMVP.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I picked John Elway

Am I biased? Yes
    Am I blinded by ORANGE and BLUE? Yes
    You wanna make something of it? Go suck a lemon.

But seriously, in my opinion, he is the best and he went out on top!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Cool Joe, Super Bowl 23... TD to John Taylor with less than a minute to play. Enough said.
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    So......Terry Bradshaw.....Pittsburgh Steelers.....how many Super Bowls did he win?

Yeah, it was the ultimate TEAM effort, those 1970s era Steelers. They need their own wing in the Hall of Fame.
    _____

I picked John Elway, simply because of his ability to drive his Broncos downfield, seemingly with no problems at all, whenever his team needed a two-minute drill. I would rate Dan Marino, Brett Farve, Joe Montana, and John Unitas in that front group (not in any particular order....they all were very good).

Tom Brady will probably enter that elite group.....at a young age he has shown an amazing ability to get the job done.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Dan Marino and Bob Griese - tie!
    (Can you tell who was my favorite team back in the day?)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Joe Montana was the best in the game. The only way he could have been cooler was to have a big 80's moustache like Burt Reynolds.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Warren Moon - only player, let alone quarterback, to be enshrined in both the NFL Hall of Fame and the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Moon
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Longevity, classy, entertaining, and a consistently winning record in the least desirable (from a player's standpoint) venue in the NFL.

Easy, non-biased decision.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh yeah....

John Elway by far.....

but mostly for making Bernie Kosar his Beeyotch for so long...ha ha ha....1986, 1987, 1988....ha ha ha.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I am a Pats fan, but I had to pick Dan Marino. Nobody did as much with so little talent around him.
    Satellite City Enabler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I picked John Elway
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    John Elway by far
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I picked John Elway
    Another Vote for 7 John Elway

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Bob Griese
    All time favorite in my fair city because he is from here.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    No Fran Tarkenton or Sammy Baugh on that list? Steve Bartkowski?

I'd probably lean towards giving the nod to Montana.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Joe Montana followed closely by Johnny Unitas.

As for all you Elway Kool Aid drinkers, just think back to New Orleans January 28, 1990, Super Bowl XXIV...

San Franscisco 55
    Denver 10

Montana 22/29 297 yards 5 TDS
    Elway 10/26 108 yards 0 TDs 2 Int

I can't remember who won the MVP but I think it was the same person who was named the MVP of Super Bowl XVI and XIX.

Zman, look on the bright side, Montana was a Notre Dame graduate.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I had to go with Brett because there were many times that he forced the pay to happen and it paid of with TD and making superstars out of guys who would otherwise not be starting with other teams.

Don’t get me wrong, Joe was a hell of a QB, but he had Rice and a fleet of other targets. He was surrounded by talent that to this day is unparalleled. But they just made him look better than he was.

Farve also has also been able to come back from very low points in his life. For a long time, the joke was he did not know who to throw the ball to because he would often have more interceptions than receptions. But that quickly changed.

Even this past year, there were comments that the opposing QB was in Elementary school when Farve started his career. 17 seasons with one team… Most NFL QB’s can’t do half that. And then there is the 9 probowls.

The thing that solidified him as the greatest was the game after his dad died. Here he was at the hardest point in his life, but he dug down, and had the greatest game of his life. People right stories about this type of determination and professionalism, but it is so rare to see in real life.

I think that ever person on that list is comparable, but I personally think that Farve is just a notch above the rest.

I also think it was time for him to retire and let Rogers make is mark as the starter for GB.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Bart Starr

5 championships in 7 years, the latter two being the first two superbowls. More modern day while Montana won all those superbowls, which I attribute more to the system Bill Walsh install, his inablility to throw the deep ball always bothered me. If you look at all all of his completions of over 40 yards they where all on slants or shallow crossing routes. They rarely threw the deep out.

Yeah I was and LA Ram Fan so I got to see him decimate my team on more than one occasion.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ever notice how whenever there's a (Who/what) was the Greatest (whatever) of all time the answers are invariably weighted heavily towards those choices most recent in people's memories?

Why no votes for Unitas or Staubach?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Zman, look on the bright side, Montana was a Notre Dame graduate.
    I'd probably pick Montana second. I liked him (except for the one super bowl he played in )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Ever notice how whenever there's a (Who/what) was the Greatest (whatever) of all time the answers are invariably weighted heavily towards those choices most recent in people's memories?
    Hey I Voted Starr. I also think Sid Luckman And Otto Graham should be on the list, Heck I heard Thorpe could sling it pretty well too
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    No Fran Tarkenton.
    Would be on my list of favorite QB's, seeing as how I watched him growing up in a NY Giants home.
    How about for you Gedunker ?

He also used his impressive scrambling ability to rack up 3,674 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 675 carries.
    During his career, Tarkenton ran for a touchdown in 15 different seasons, an NFL record among quarterbacks.
    He ranks fourth in career rushing yards among QB's, behind Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and Michael Vick.
    He is also one of two NFL quarterbacks ever to rush for at least 300 yards in seven different seasons; the other is Tobin Rote.
    Voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986, Tarkenton is widely considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Tarkenton

Off-topic:
    In re Tarkenton: He threw so many interceptions that my father took to calling interceptions 'a Francis', as in "Ah, jeez, he just threw another Francis! Son of a ... dangnabbit."

For me, I think Scott Brunner is way underrated.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I went with Joe Montana. You really have to respect his Super Bowl-winning record.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    Who picked Ryan Leaf?

As much as the Donkeys are my most hated sports team (next to the Patriots of course) of all time, I have to say John Elway. He did so much on his own. Montana had some great players surrounding him, and Tom Brady probably benefits more than any other QB on that list from the team he plays on. Elway did alot all on his own.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 Nov 2011, 8:45 AM
  2. Ten Greatest Inventions of All-Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 4:39 PM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 29 Jan 2010, 11:23 PM
  4. Replies: 38