Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Partying in grad school

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

Partying in grad school

For those of you who have earned a masters or are in the process, I want to know how different the amount of "free time" is from undergrad to grad. To be honest, I go out to bars a lot. I party a lot. I'm in a fraternity and I like to have a good time. I also have excellent grades and I've been accepted to three good grad schools. So I enjoy a good balance of fun and school. However, grad school seems less fun and more focus on academics. Will I be in trouble if I continue this lifestyle in grad school? Do any of you party in grad school?

PARTY TIL YOU PUKE

hopefully...

Registered
    Mar 2008

Graduate School

It isn't a matter of how much you party. In graduate school, it is all about how you allocate your time. If you sit around a bunch and party, then you will not have the time to finish your homework.

Bottom line: use your time effectively

I had a blast in grad school - met my wonderful spouse that way.

But you will find that there is less tolerance for excuses. Professors will treat you differently. If something isn't done or done right, no one cares - you just get marked down.

BANNED
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    I'm a second year MBA student at USC. In my opinion, you have the same amount of time to party as a grad student as you do in undergrad. I don't know if that holds true for all programs but it seems to be the case for mine.

Although previous posters are correct: Don't expect "I'm hungover" to work as a valid excuse.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm sure you'll have time to party and I'll concur with what's been said. But I'll add, I'd expect if you're funded or have assistantships, I believe the maturity expected from a graduate student in those circumstances exceeds that of an undergrad quite a bit...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rsmith23 View post
    For those of you who have earned a masters or are in the process, I want to know how different the amount of "free time" is from undergrad to grad. To be honest, I go out to bars a lot. I party a lot. I'm in a fraternity and I like to have a good time. I also have excellent grades and I've been accepted to three good grad schools. So I enjoy a good balance of fun and school. However, grad school seems less fun and more focus on academics. Will I be in trouble if I continue this lifestyle in grad school? Do any of you party in grad school?
    If you can get away with it go ahead, but it might be harder at some schools that others. Has anyone been able to party when working on an MArch or an MLA? It was next to impossible when I was an arch undergrad but easier as a planning major Unfortunately, I am pretty much set to being locked away in a studio for 2-3 years for landscape architecture

Registered
    Jul 2007

depends...

I am currently in grad school and manage to get out one night a week or so. School work and my assistantship keep me pretty busy though, no time to be hungover. For example, I go to UF and last year we won the football national title, on a monday night...I was still expected to be at class tuesday morning! I was certainly tired, but I went to class
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by rsmith23 View post
    I think you can pretty much do whatever you want.If what you really mean is can you continue to live a "frat boy" lifestyle, my answer is, probably not. Papers you write the night before the due date will be recognizable as such and traditional undergrad BS techniques (we've all done it) for writing papers just wont cut it anymore.

While you'll still be able to head out to the bar whenever you like, my attitude is that you'll pretty much have "zero excuses" for anything. Any road trips, spring breaks, hangovers, etc. are just days missed... and if you miss days indulging yourself, I can't imagine that earning you any respect from your professors or planning school colleagues.

Another factor is, you might be able to party 3/4 days a week when you are in your early twenties... but it's just hard to keep that up as you get older.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Constant partying is not a lifestyle you can sustain throught adulthood and lead a productive life and have a successfull career. If your reasons for going to graduate school are so that you can delay growing up and having to face the "real world", I'd say you're probably going for the wrong reasons.

I recently finished my undergrad degrees and got my first professional job. When you work 8-5 (which, in most cases turns out to be more like 7-6, or later when there are evening meetings), partying during the weeknights is not an option except on very rare occasions.

Using graduate school as an extension of your college frat-boy lifestyle will most likely hinder your learning experience, prolong your bad habits, and make it more difficult to quit them when you finally do have to get a "real" job. Limit partying to Friday and Saturday night...or, even better, just one night.

Registered
    May 2006
    I agree, you can't sit down the night before a deadline and rip off a 25 page paper, or expect to read a 10-20 page journal article and still be able to discuss in class the next day. It just ain't gonna cut it in the grad world. The other grad students will know and you won't be liked or accepted very well. I find that being able to collaborate with others is a great asset to getting work done.
    I've been able to allocate time effectively and slide through a few classes that I found stupid or boring. So my advice is be prepared to cut off the 'partying' when the class' subject is interesting to you.
    Remember - what you put into it in Grad school, you will be rewarded. Not at all like undergrad. IMO, that degree is almost meaningless in today's society.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    You'll need to ratchet back the fraternity lifestyle if you want to achieve in grad school. I was a TKE in undergrad and while I still paid the guys a visit on a regular basis, I certainly couldn't keep up the same level of intensity as before. Besides, once you have your undergrad degree, it really is best to step back and be one of the wise elders. Don't be the lame older dude who is around too often.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    but what if you were the lame slightly older dude who wants to hang around?

Registered
    Mar 2007

Partying in Grad School

When I was a senior in undergraduate school I went to a National Conference with students from University of Texas and Texas A & M University.

The UT students brought all their work with them and had no fun at all. The Texas A & M University group brought no work with them and had a blast. Made up my mind then and there that Texas A & M University was for me.

When I got there it was one party after another and the professors partied as hard as the students. We even had after school get togethers at the Dixie Chicken every Friday.

Pat

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dsrtmaiden View post
    When I was a senior in undergraduate school I went to a National Conference with students from University of Texas and Texas A & M University.

The UT students brought all their work with them and had no fun at all. The Texas A & M University group brought no work with them and had a blast. Made up my mind then and there that Texas A & M University was for me.

When I got there it was one party after another and the professors partied as hard as the students. We even had after school get togethers at the Dixie Chicken every Friday.

Pat
    Personally, I would prefer to hang out with Texas AM if I were a student attending a conference. Although maybe UT was busy juggling the conference with project deadlines in their courses. Hanging out with faculty can be fun, but fraternizing with them on a weekly basis is a big no in my book (it reduces the instructor's credibility in my eyes).

I'm not a huge partier myself, but I still think if you can party hard in grad school and pull off good grades (without any ethics violations: bribing, cheating, threatening, public drunkeness, indecent exposure, harassing midgets, etc.) more power to you. It would probably be pretty difficult to get away with it (you're in school to learn not to party and the courses should hopefully reflect that). Hopefully, you could pull it off and not make your classmates jealous, no pun intended
    Last edited by nrschmid; 06 Apr 2008 at 8:35 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have spent more time partying, drinking, just plain ole havin' fun, etc. in two years of graduate school than I did in 4 years of undergrad and I have gotten much better grades in graduate school as well.

Like has been said above, it all depends on how you allocate your time; I would imagine that by the time you reach graduate school you should have already learned what your capabilities are and then not overdoing it.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I don't agree with some of the posts that last minute papers and article reviews just won't cut it - I did it no problem but this is how I always did them in undergrad so really its all about how you work.

I partyed pretty good with those in the program and as I was on the varsity rugby team with them as well, including practice 5 nights a week and a weekend game, sometimes away and the majority of the team were undergrads who really wanted to party.

I agree with another post re: the excuses - they don't cut it anymore and the universal response to any complaints about workload, etc: "Welcome to Grad school".

Everyone is different - some people struggled without partying and others did fine.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Grad school low GPA
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 3:22 PM
  2. Grad school now or later?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2008, 2:17 PM
  3. Grad School Q's
    Student Commons