Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What do I need to know about for a strategic planning class?

Registered
    Feb 2008

What do I need to know about for a strategic planning class?

I am currently studying Urban and Environmental Planning,
    as I want to have a better preparation for my course, I would like you to give me some ideas what is strategic planning about. Thx

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

Different things to different people

I suspect that the answers you will get will show quite a variety of meanings.
    I have seen it used at urban level. The differences from classical city-wide planning were several. First, it did not simply project current population figures to some future date, then determine what infrastructural and service developments are required. Instead, it looked a the city's multiple assets, established a long term vision and goals, then set out to create its own future.

Secondly, it dealt with strategic issues, not mundane and detailed ones. Specifically, it looked at what forces are driving significant change in the urban context, saw these as "strategic drivers," then set out to develop strategies that would either build on the positive forces, or counteract the negative ones. These are meant to give strategic guidance to more detailed plans.

Thirdly, it suggested strategic interventions in a prioritised manner. Some of these strategic interventions might involve institutional capacity building, others might be more detailed studies, whatever. Underlying everything however, was an attempt to establish the strategic principles that should be used when making more specific decisions on new development proposals, whether these are generated within the local authority, or initiated by private sector developers. This idea was particularly important for coping with very rapidly growing cities in the development world.

Of course, there are lots more details that could be given. To get very different views on what it is, go to the Cities Alliance website or the website of the UN-Habitat. Even the Asian Development Bank has a free manual on what they consider to be strategic planning.

I am currently working on a set of Guidelines for Strategic Regional Planning, to provide a larger context for strategic urban plans within the region.

I would love to hear what other cyburbians have to say on the subject.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I once heard it said that the important and useful part of strategic planning was the "planning" (the process of thinking about the strengths/weakness of the thing, the vision, etc) and not the "plan" (the product. Throw that away in a year or to and start over. That may be a bit overblown, but the process is very important in that it forces a look at the big picture and encourages thinking "outside the box.

And as fast as the world is changing now few plans are good for very many years without at least some tweeking.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Monamogolo View post
    Even the Asian Development Bank has a free manual on what they consider to be strategic planning.
    Monamogolo, do you have the URL to this manual?

Sounds like an interesting role that you're doing. Just wondering though, what sort of technical skills you need - for instance, do you require detailed statistical, knowledge about tree surveys, water flow counts, etc?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    A good strategic planner needs to understand their history, so they know how their present arrived here; they need to understand current affairs, so they know where they are and what is happening around them; and, they need to read science fiction so they know what is coming to bite them on the ass.
    On top of that its a bit like a 4 dimensional jigsaw puzzle with no straight edges, no picture on the box and a variable number of pieces, some of which appear and disappear seemingly at random.
    Strategic planning is about organizing to provide a solution to a problem that won't be serious for another 10 years.
    Strategic Planning is NOT about meeting current political objectives.
    Strategic Planners define what policies need to be created, and what their implementation should achieve.
    Strategic Planners live today, but they work in the next decade... they are the navigators for our urban futures, the anticipators of our children's world.
    However, they usually wind up doing policy development, corporate planning or reacting to the politically unexpected events that surprised their elected masters. There's no real place for serious strategic planning in a 4 year electoral cycle, unless the elected boss and the admin boss get on and are both there for the long term, and care about what's coming.
    Good Strategic Planners foresaw the current global economic mess and have ideas for their cities to survive it. Good Strategic Planners have the research and critical analysis skills to tell you which parts of the IPCC reports are right and which are rubbish. Good Strategic Planners don't believe their own spin, and know that you're only paranoid if you're wrong. They also smile alot.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    The process of strategic planning is important not the product as another has noted. Classical strategic planning is a broad-to-specific approach:
    Vision: what you wish/want to see in the future.
    Goals: what you are striving to achieve that cumulatively accomplishes your vision.
    Objectives: what needs to occur to achieve your goals.

Your policy framework should then be set up so that your policies allow you to complete your objectives, goals and utlimately your vision.

The actual application of strategic planning is vast rangning from military to business to neighbourhood revitalization.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007

some sources

joshww81
    here's your reference.

http://www.adb.org/Documents/Books/C...es/content.pdf

you'll find Cities Alliance guidelines at

http://www.citiesalliance.org/activi...uidelines.html

In fact, if you go to www.citiesalliance.org you will find a lot of good reference material, as well as good global links to urban development/ management/ planning/ informal settlement upgrading, etc.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS Tools for strategic land use planning
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2012, 8:58 AM
  2. Strategic local planning?
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Nov 2010, 10:36 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jan 2010, 10:06 PM