Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Snapshot 1/11/16

Registered
    Feb 2004

Snapshot 1/11/16

Forget false modesty. Tell us about a culinary accomplishment of yours you are proud of (doesn't have to be recent). Maybe you can't cook and it's making rice-a-roni without directions, or maybe you can cook extremely well and Wolfgang Puck complimented you on your peach and prosciutto canapés. In any event, the litmus test is if you are proud of it.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've made box mac & cheese into an art form - or so I've been told. I know just the right amount of milk and butter to add to the cheese powder packet to attain just the right flavor and amount of creaminess in texture. Aside from grilling that's pretty much the extent of my culinary repertoire.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I learned how to make these bacon-wrapped lil' smokies (laden with brown sugar and held together by a toothpick), pretty much all on my own. It's tedious and time-consuming, but it makes for a great appetizer, and it was a hit at multiple parties this holiday season. I feel like I've moved past the typical cheese & crackers/chips & salsa type of appetizer to something a little more advanced, and I'm proud of that! I should invest in a crock pot though, because the challenge is keeping them warm (unless the crowd polishes them off in 10 minutes, which happened at the first party).
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I made some great taso cured salmon a couple times along with a few other dishes, but I have to admit all I can do is follow a recipe. The hardest thing I think I've done are tamales. Mine were good, but not abuela worthy.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I am multi-cultural and make great spaghetti sauce, kung pao chicken, and fajitas. Separately.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My pain au chocolate are pretty darn good. My family likes my potatoes au gratin. I can whip up a nice mess of cheese grits, too.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I can whip up a great omelet. My hoppin' john is first rate (black-eyed peas, onion, smoked ham and rice). I can shuck oysters. Rock a boiled seafood dinner. And every Thanksgiving, I turn out a great feast. It is a bit funny that I don't like to cook much because I am pretty good at it.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I made a Black Forest cake one time - from scratch. Quite proud of that.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I made scratch made cranberry sauce for our Thanksgiving party last year. I also made some rice crispy treats based on the recipe for the Girl Scout's Samoan cookies. They looked exactly like the internet picture, and tasted pretty good.

I make a really sweet Æbleskiver. Other than that, I'm a liability in the kitchen.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I make a really sweet Æbleskiver. Other than that, I'm a liability in the kitchen.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver
    Oh man, I love those. There used to be a restaurant - The Sveden House - that served them. Unfortunately, they closed 25+ years ago and I haven't had 'em since.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This reminded me of this SNL skit

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...nch-chef/n8667

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So I am a pretty good chef. I take pride in my ability to make lots of things. I am a cook though, not so much a baker. I am working on it, but not there.

My favorite things to make are salads - with toasted or sugared nuts and homemade dressings; steak prepared with very little additional seasoning and garlic smashed potatoes; and pad thai.

I think I get the move rave reviews about my brisket and various chicken dishes.

I love food.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I don't have one thing that I am super good at cooking. However, I do enjoy the process and overall I am a reasonably good cook.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æbleskiver
    Oh man, I love those. There used to be a restaurant - The Sveden House - that served them. Unfortunately, they closed 25+ years ago and I haven't had 'em since.

Maybe next time I'm down in Lindsborgh I can check if they have a pan for you or some of the mix. Not as good as the real thing, but it's a start.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Snapshot 11/23/15
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 Nov 2015, 2:03 PM
  2. Snapshot 1/27/15
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 28 Jan 2015, 3:18 PM
  3. Snapshot 1/22/15
    Friday Afternoon Club