Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Expensive Countertop Appliances, are they worth the cost?

Registered
    Apr 2003

Expensive Countertop Appliances, are they worth the cost?

My wife and I were in a store over the weekend and they had a Vitamix person doing a demonstration. It seems like a very impressive machine, and we have a blender that was going bad, so I walked over to pick one up only to be taken back by the $400 price tag. We did not buy it there, but are still considering it as a purchase sometime down the road.

On a similar note, last night my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday… it is a $200 Keurig Coffee maker (the 2.0 so it can make small pots too). She didn't think that would be too bad, but said that it would be a birthday/Christmas gift (my birthday is between Christmas and New Year’s.) I have been making my own pods for my senseo coffee maker for a while now, and my wife said that she would make me coffee, but she doesn't like making the pods.

However, it got me thinking about it, some of these countertop appliances are very expensive given their size and potentially limited use. Granted the coffee maker would be used multiple times per day as I frequently will have 2 to 3 cups in the morning and a cup after dinner.

Do you have any countertop appliances that were expensive given the potential counterparts? Do you think spending the extra money is worth it.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I've seen those Vitamix machines and other high priced blenders but even if it's something you use all the time, I just cannot see how to justify the increased cost. We have a blender that was probably about $30. I've been using it nearly daily over the past 5 years (and sometimes multiple times a day) and have had zero regrets about not buying a nicer one. The blender has two settings, I call them "fully-automatic" and "three-round-burst". It does everything I have asked it to, works quickly, cleans up easily, and will not make me spend a lot of money if/when it dies.

We do however have a Kitchen Aide Stand Mixer which I would call an expensive countertop appliance. We use it maybe a couple of times a month and each time I look at it sitting idle, I think to myself, "What a waste of money!" But when I do actually use it, it works great and does save me a few minutes over using a hand mixer.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We have a kitchen aid that has lasted for years and we use it at least once a week to make pizza dough. I think you get what you pay for with kitchen aid (as long as you use it). For coffee makers I have to agree with my mom, she has a $10 coffee maker and it works just fine. I'm not into the little cup things and neither is the wife. I'd say a good blender or food processor are great buys. We use our food processor a few times a month. Blenders not so much, but cheap ones will break on you so I guess it goes to how often you use a blender.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Best blender I've ever had cost me about $25. My favorite toaster was a crappy $10 Sunbeam, but it always evenly toasted with no hot spots or malfunctions. Consumer Reports is tremendously useful when it comes to this kind of stuff.

My exception to this rule is the KitchenAid stand mixer. They are incredibly well built and have excellent accessories. They are like the Weber Grills of kitchen appliances. My mom has one that I think is pushing 40 years old and still runs like a champ. Same goes for food processors... I went through several crappy ones before finally biting the bullet and purchasing a KitchenAid.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

My wife and I were in a store over the weekend and they had a Vitamix person doing a demonstration. It seems like a very impressive machine, and we have a blender that was going bad, so I walked over to pick one up only to be taken back by the $400 price tag. We did not buy it there, but are still considering it as a purchase sometime down the road.
    IMHO the Keurigs waste tons of resources, and 400.00 blenders are a waste of money unless you are rich or are riddled with guilt about your weight and are looking to make a purchase to assuage that guilt.

That said, we cook a lot and the KitchenAid stand mixer and food processor are money well spent (I made three loaves of bread Sunday and wouldn't have kneaded by hand), and the pesto from the garden would be much less without real food processor.

That said, the pesto goes into the freezer in vacuum sealed bags using a Cabela's vacuum sealer, another good purchase.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

SURE!

My $350 Mixer looks GREAT on our counter.....just have to dust it off now and then
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The VitaMix is an overpriced blender. I have a $40 Oster that is 20 years old and still works like a champ. Self cleaning? Cup of warm water and a couple drops of soap and whiz it around.

The $200 Keurig? Waste of money. Mr. Coffee has a model for $50 that has the Keurig logo on the top. The only difference is that you have to add water each time you want a cup of coffee rather than it having a tank of water...but why do you want to use stale water to make coffee?

Kitchen Aid stand mixer is worth it if you cook/bake frequently and spend decent money on a quality food processor. I have an 18 year old Krupps that I love.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    We have a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, it is basic white and was a Black Friday special a few years ago, for $149. I also have a KA food processor. Instead of spending big bucks on a Vitamix we ended up getting a $99 Ninja. The thing has worked great for over two years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm amazed that you can buy an appliance for just about every kitchen task and have no idea where people store them. I have a KA mixer that's 30 years old; I use it frequently. I've just about worn out my food processor but I'm not sure I'd buy another.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The only "expensive" appliance we have is a KitchenAid stand mixer. Love it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Doohickie View post
    The only "expensive" appliance we have is a KitchenAid stand mixer. Love it.
    My wife bought the shredder attachment and we'll buy big hunks of cheese on sale, shred, and put in the freezer for later. We also have the 11 y.o. making mashed potatoes and whipped cream with it - some of her kitchen tasks. So many ways to use this tool...
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I never knew there was a shredder attachment. We use a lot of shredded cheese for various recipes and I like to shred cabbage to make my own coleslaw and potatoes for hashbrowns on the weekends. I may have to look into getting one of those for ours.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I never knew there was a shredder attachment. We use a lot of shredded cheese for various recipes and I like to shred cabbage to make my own coleslaw and potatoes for hashbrowns on the weekends. I may have to look into getting one of those for ours.
    You'll want that for the potatoes alone! That accessory completely changed my Saturday mornings!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm not sure what brand food processor the wife has, but it's old and of course it comes with a shredder blade! Cheese for pizza takes no time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 3:03 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jun 2007, 7:35 AM
  3. Amtrak, why more expensive than flying?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 15 Feb 2005, 6:05 PM
  4. Replies: 52
    Last post: 13 Jan 2005, 1:03 AM
  5. What makes cities expensive?
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Dec 2004, 8:12 AM