Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 88 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING What Are Your Weekend Plans Thread

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Let me see if I understand this....

Start in Mack City, End in St. Ignace, get on boat to Island, walk around island, then take the ferry back to Mack City? Brilliant!

9.8 Miles??? I could have sworn it was less than that. Why do 8 or 6 stick in my mind?
    Almost. The bridge walk is southbound; must start in the UP. Without the ferry rides, the Bridge Authority provides school buses to shuttle bridge-walkers back and forth. If the M.I. C of C had good sense, they would publicize this; Labor day on the island is relatively fudgie-free.

Sunday, drive across bridge (an experience in itself) to St Ignace. Perhaps the newly-licensed teen will get to do the honors.

Camp out with a bicycle tour of my acquaintance. No campfires, no picnic tables, just a bunch of tents and bikes at the high school.

Walk bridge to Mack City. Crawl to ferry dock. Ride boat to Island.

If my sis doesn't bail out, I plan to bring my unique Counterpoint tandem for her to ride on the front. I've even figured out how to get it to the island (and not be joy-ridden? joy-rode? borrowed) and waiting for us once we get there.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Make her drive on the grates!

You are correct. I've never walked it, but last year I went to Taquempenpn (sp) Falls on Labor Day. I had to go potty when I reached Mack City I can recall going to the rest area and not being able to park the car and when I reached the rest area N of the bridge it was full of buses, so I guess I had just had it reversed in my mind. Excuse me, I was more concerned about finding a bathroom than which way the peds were going!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This one's gonna get old real fast. Stock up on wine. Drag out the photos, birth certificates, etc for "hurricane evacuation Rubbermaid bin". Find potential hotels and public shelters that take pets, out of state. Sheesh.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bridge Walk & Weekend Plans

Da plans for this Labor Day weekend.....

Friday PM - Probably Loma Linda's (Haven't decided yet)
    Saturday Until 3:30 PM - Putz in garage, yard (Actually starting to think about chores to do before winter winds blow in)
    Saturday 3:30 PM - Michigan on the tube - Go Blue !
    Saturday PM - Not sure
    Sunday - More putz
    Later Sunday - Old movies, work on De Noc
    Monday - Even more putz
    Tuesday - Taking an extra day, may go fishing, crowds will be history

Temperatures in NW Ohio this weekend.....mid 80F range with sunny days.
    _____

This Bear walked the Mackinac Bridge fifteen years in a row, from the mid-1980s into the late 1990s. Some memories.....

One year we had to drive back south the same day as the walk (Labor Day). Not a good idea, because I-75 is bumper-to-bumper stop & go for 200+ miles before the traffic starts to split in different directions. Most years I was camped at the nude beach south of Wilderness Park (just southwest of Mac City), or just north of the bridge at a National Forest Campground just outside of St. Ignace, or at a State Forest Campground just north of Paradise (60 miles away on Lake Superior), or at Big Knob State Forest Campground (about 100 miles away, on Lake Michigan). We would get up early on Bridge Walk Day, drive to the bridge, park the vehicle in Mackinaw City, walk the bridge, and proceed directly to The Keyhole Bar.

At The Keyhole we would drink with some locals we know. They would always comment that they were glad to see all the "fudgies" heading home. Rooms are easy to find on Labor Day night, so we would crash in town and head back to the campground the next day, for more camping adventures.

One year I was with my pal, Phil. We had been fishing in northern Ontario and were working our way back south. I never drank so much in my life (at a local campground). I forgot about my "moderation" mantra. Never did that again.

Another year I was on the bridge, with the usual 65,000 other walkers, when some guy jumped off the bridge. I didn't see the jump, but we all heard about it. One year Katie and I were camped north of the bridge and decided not to walk it, so we stayed in our shared sleeping bag. We heard George H. Bush go over in his helicopter, landing at Mackinaw City High School. He walked the bridge that year.

I always walked the bridge at a brisk pace. When you first head south, from the St. Ignace side, the crowds are tight. However, different walking paces tend to spread the crowds out.....until you get to the expansion grates. Most walkers will not walk on those grates, because you can look down and see the beautiful Lake Michihuron waters. That's my time to increase my speed because the grates do not bother me.

I am suprised that McCain and/or Obama are not walking the bridge this year. The walk gets a lot of airplay in Michigan and the Wolverine State is vital to each candidate.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ...I am suprised that McCain and/or Obama are not walking the bridge this year. The walk gets a lot of airplay in Michigan and the Wolverine State is vital to each candidate.
    Secret Service nightmare. There are pics of the gov doing her jog, and evidently she has an Executive Protection Unit numbering two. (I got closer to her during election year, and it was astonishing to see just a couple of local city cops providing security. Compared with what goes on in the 313...)

Better they should do the Labor day parade in Detroit, which has the advantage of no water access (expansion joints).

I have ridden across the bridge twice, when I was doing the afore-mentioned bike tour. Four days, starts in Lansing on Wednesday, finishes in St Ignace on Sunday evening. Includes an options "quad century," four 100-mile days. For that you are awarded a special belt buckle. My only bridge walk took place the first year that I did the ride.

N.B. a bicycle "tour" is not a race, in this country

Registered
    Apr 2007
    I spent Saturday at our lovely state fair... In case you've ever wondered what a 907 lb. pumpkin looks like, here you go. I want pie.

http://picasaweb.google.com/amygkarn...88645441252402
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    May 2003

Da Weekend Fer Da Bear

Before I report my planned activities for the next weekend, a word or two about state fairs.....

The only state that has two.....counte 'em, two.....state fairs is Michigan. They have their regular fair in Detroit and the Upper Peninsula has their own state fair.

Back to the evening news.....

Plans for da weekend.....

Fri PM - Probably Loma Linda's
    Sat AM - Garage putz, building shelves, blah, etc., blah (Loud rock and roll fer sure!)
    Sat Noonish - University of Meeeshigan on the tube. Go Blue!
    Sat PM - Local bar? Hub's? Maybe. See below.

Katie is driving to Akron this weekend.....not sure of when.....maybe Saturday PM. My plans are questionable.

Sun AM - Garage putz and blah blah.
    Sun PM - Old movies and working on De Noc. Maybe insert a new development called "Moose Landing" or "Giant Pumpkin Estates" or "Preggodauter Villas".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We're in the Hurricanes From Hell Mode; two weeks ago, Fay, last weekend, maybe Gustav, coming up, maybe Ike.... all I'm banking on is RJ painting my toenails (Flamingo Pink, BTW....). And maybe a couple Margaritas along the way.

You can't plan anything here this time of year. Festivals, fishing competitions, etc, all being delayed because of storms.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Yoga is back on Saturdays, yeah

off at the crack of dawn to NNE-CAPA for Thursday and Friday then preparing for my son's 4th birthday party on Sunday -

did I really invite the kids and their families to make 50 people - wth was I thinking?

I was planning outdoor fun but it looks like Hanna may bring rain up my way

Registered
    May 2004
    Hard to top last weekend:

Sis and nieces declined to come along, the creeps. Hope whatever they sat home and watched on the tube was worthwhile.

Saturday: Civil War ball in the street, part of a small town's historic home tour events.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    7:07 tee time on Sunday. Other than that, nothing planned.

It's all about the weather.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Football, baby! Iowa State/Kent State with my college peeps. 6:00 pm kick so that means WAY too many hours tailgating.

Then starts along stretch of gigs, beginning with a repug party picnic. I'll wear blue as usual . . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2660479...7605524769047/

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Not much because I am poor between back to school shopping, text book buying, parking permit fees ($250 for the honor of parking in front of my apartment), and whatever other fees Rutgers is going to add to my bill.

I will clean my house.
    Cook a lot of food.
    Maybe read up on the background of my studio course. If it weren't raining I would go for a site visit.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Fri: hanging out with a buddy.
    Sat: going to beach with sis and cousins, hanging out with another friend in the evening.
    Sun: reading the Green Book and taking notes for most of the day.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Friday: Softball game at 8pm.
    Saturday: Going to Denver, lunch downtown with a couple friends and then tickets to the Rockies/Astros game, 30 rows behind home plate.
    Sunday Putz. Maybe catch some football on the TeeVee, maybe sloth through the day.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Before I report my planned activities for the next weekend, a word or two about state fairs.....

The only state that has two.....counte 'em, two.....state fairs is Michigan. They have their regular fair in Detroit and the Upper Peninsula has their own state fair.
    BUN, Michigan may be the only state with two state fairs, but Alaska actually has five . The Southeast Alaska State Fair is in Haines, the Tanana Valley State Fair is in Fairbanks, the Kenai Peninsula Fair is in Ninilchick, the Alaska State Fair is in Palmer, and the Kodiak State Fair and Rodeo is in Kodiak.

This is mostly due to our large physical geography, of course... but I had to brag
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!" ~Calvin and Hobbes

Registered
    Aug 2001
    So...the golf round was interesting today. I ended up shooting a 92 but had the best two shots of the round in our group. I chipped in for a birdie on a tough par 4. Then on the easiest and shortest par 4 of the course, I over shot the green on my second shot, chunked two loft wedge attempts, then hurled the loft wedge into the nearest body of water and finished the hole with a triple. I just knew I should have taken the loft wedge out of my bag a couple weeks ago.

The Co Mgr and the Ass Co Mgr got good laughs from my behavior. But hey, I'll never use the loft wedge again!!! We gave it last rites from the tee box of the next hole.

Co Mgr: "We can get that out of the creek, RJ. It's close to the edge."

RJ: "Fark you. Leave it."
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Co Mgr: "We can get that out of the creek, RJ. It's close to the edge."

RJ: "Fark you. Leave it."
    RJ, you should have said, "Great idea, I'll join you after I tie these damned shoes."

Cause big time delay by slowly re-tying your shoes.

Once he's at the edge, either:

(a) Let him get really wet by repeatedly re-tying your shoes.

or/and:

(b) Sneak up and push him in.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I met the acquaintance of a Sri Lankan family on Friday by being nosy on the bus. The little girl had a book in Sinhalese which I recognized immediately so I asked the father if they were Sri Lankan. So anyways we had a nice chat and I took them shopping yesterday since NJ hasn't given them a driving license yet. Today they invited us to dinner and we met another young couple from the university that my group worked at in Sri Lanka, turns out the young fellow was in the department below the planning floor and said he remembered seeing a group of Americans coming and going during the spring. Small world, new friends, and a great Sri Lankan meal tonight. All is good in the world.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

Da Weekend & Da Bear

Paramount Pictures presents, "A Clockwork Bear".....

Friday - No plans, yet. If we go to Marion, OH, early Saturday, we will not go out on Friday PM.
    Friday PM - If we do not go to central Ohio, probably Loma Linda's.

Saturday - Marion, OH (Maybe) (To see youngest granddaughter, in from Portland, OR)
    Saturday - If no trip.....the usual garage putz, with loud rock and roll.
    Saturday Later - Michigan VS Notre Dame Go Blue!
    Saturday PM - Going to an Ohio State Party

DISCLAIMER: Katie is a Buckeye fan. Her best friend, Kim, and her husband are big Bucknuts. They have a huge building in the woods behind their Swanton Township home. They host numerous Ohio State parties. This Saturday's event is because of the BIG GAME between Ohio State and Southern California. I will be the only person in the building with Michigan robes. Just like I like it!

Sunday AM - More garage putz and if it is not raining, working on a fence and some stone (out in the dog yard).
    Sunday PM - Steelers VS Browns! Go Steelers!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Off tomorrow morning to Miami for the APA Florida conference.
    Returning on Saturday.
    Sunday: 7:07 tee time.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Ummm.....

Holed up in the PC lab working on studio report
    Reading about 100 pages of material for two courses
    Writing about preliminary findings of qualitative methods observation exercise to be done Thursday after work
    Cooking food for the upcoming week

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm hoping to sort thru, and box up, a bunch of stuff I just threw into boxes last year when I moved, and donate to Goodwill.

Lt Dan backed out of the Miami trip so I guess I don't have to worry about him luring RJ into strip clubs and stuff. Whew.

I have to create a new identity so I can still call our commissioners obese and not have it traced to RJ. Just kidding. Sheesh, the morons should be glad I voted for them a couple weeks ago....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We might head out and listen to Budgie and friends play some bluegrass this weekend.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Friday:
    Haircut
    Softball game, maybe it is a doouble header, I do not know.
    A or in the driveway afterwards.

Saturday:
    College FB watching, especialy Notre Dame vs. Meeechigan
    Friends from Denver in area, they'll stop by for a cocktail
    Party at neighbors' house at night
    Stay up really late with wife....

Sunday
    ...see wife off to the airport at 3am for flight to Chicago.
    Putz
    Watch the Broncos game and enjoy a couple days of bachelorhood with the
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 88 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 240
    Last post: 17 Apr 2015, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 3:11 PM
  3. What are your plans for the weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 940
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 9:31 PM