Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 88 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING What Are Your Weekend Plans Thread

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk View post
    drinkin', studyin' and potentially doin' somethin' stupid....
    Ahhhhh.........the good ole' days...................

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG stole my thunder. Tomorrow, she's taking her son and his half-sister on a tour of the area. They'll need to use my pick-up as a window on ZG's vehicle won't close. I guess she can reach the pedals on the pick-up? That will give me some private time by the pool to simply relax.

Note to self: pick up your feet...no more stubbed toes....

Sunday....7:00 tee time.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm blowing out of the office in about an hour to spend the rest of the afternoon by the pool (I'm over 40 hours already).
    Tomorrow, lots of little things to do around the house. Whether I do them is another question.
    Sunday, a 7:07 tee time. Afternoon by the pool.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I will be running the Detroit Free Press Marathon.

This is a spur-of-the-moment decision (literally, the last five minutes) with zero preparation and mainly being done out of spite to show up a friend.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have a feeling this will be one of those weekends where I wake up Monday morning wondering if I actually had a weekend at all.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Statistics problem set
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    relaxing. working on christmas gifts. studying for Civil Service Exam.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Tailgate gig followed by rehearsal of our Christmas Show

I've got to get the durned attic dormer repair finished and since the weather is likely to be good (cool, dry) it would be the perfect weekend. Except Sunday weare hosting my daughter's ninth birthday party (where'd the time go?!?) and I'm sure Mrs G has various marching orders for me...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I will be running the Detroit Free Press Marathon.

This is a spur-of-the-moment decision (literally, the last five minutes) with zero preparation and mainly being done out of spite to show up a friend.
    Take your camera. It's the only time of year that they allow pedestrians on the Ambassador Bridge, and in the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Take your camera. It's the only time of year that they allow pedestrians on the Ambassador Bridge, and in the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel.
    Does it still start in Windsor and finish on Belle Isle? I ran it twice many years ago. Still have my "I Ran The Underwater Mile" card and of course, my medals and finish photos.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004

OH YEAH!

Going to camp at the

GRAND CANYON
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Does it still start in Windsor and finish on Belle Isle? I ran it twice many years ago. Still have my "I Ran The Underwater Mile" card and of course, my medals and finish photos.
    A bi-national marathon? I'd be surprised if they still do it with tightend border security and all. Although I supposse its so heavily monitored that it wouldn't likely cause any security concerns.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Going to camp at the

GRAND CANYON
    Well that is bragging a bit....I so wish I could do that...One of these days.

Does Monday count?? I get a three day weekend.

Monday my son-in- law is becoming my oldest grandson's dad. The final adoption is Monday morning. Then we are all going to meet at their house for a party. I am so happy. This is a really wonderful thing he is doing.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Mid-October Weekend

This Bear's plans.....

Friday PM - Nothing.
    Saturday - Garage putz and all that stuff.
    Saturday PM - Loma Linda's
    Sunday AM - Garage putz
    Sunday afternoon - Football and fake city

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Going to camp at the

GRAND CANYON
    So that's how you young ones are describing it now.

Have fun.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 17 Oct 2008 at 5:36 PM. Reason: engrish

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    If I had a slightly smaller camera, I might but I am going to have to go camera free... While I have no fantasies of actually winning, I do plan to beat my buddy who has been training since last year's marathon.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004

Yup....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    So that's how you young ones are describing it now.

Have fun.
    Yeah, normally I would refer to it as the opposite of what Homer Simpson calls the State of Florida
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm not gonna mop any stinkin white tile floors. But I'm gonna make up a whole passel of margaritas.
    Any excuse. I'm on it. Oh, and I want Eggs Benedict this weekend.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have to put up the last 2 storm windows and get the AC unit out of the dining room window before furnace weather.

Other than that, I will probably do work - lots of deadlines coming up.

Registered
    May 2004

Haunted corn maze

Had three agenda items on Friday, and two on Saturday. Too busy to post.

The second one on Sat was a singles bonfire party at an agri-tainment venue. Petting zoo, corn maze, hayrides, on Sundays they have musicians. I told 'em to let me know when they want to add square dances.

We did the hayride, got dropped off at the entrance to the haunted forest. These people go all out; a novelette setting up the scenario, costumed creeps every 50' along the trail. Special effects (cauldron of fire, spongy pathway, lit jack o'lanterns). A "haunted tarp" tunnel with the de rigeur hanging strands of stuff. Creepy actors would slither up, walk alongside, and engage in discussions.

That ended at the corn maze, which becomes haunted after dark. It had some human ghouls in various places, and the most effective had a realistic chainsaw (sound and gas fumes). If you ran, he'd chase you. (I was getting used as a shield by a couple of jumpy gals, trying to toss me to the ghoul, and blocking my escape. Did not care for the noise nor the smell.)

Another major feature was a pulsating strobe light along with a fog machine (putting out heat; smelled like Battle Creek)...and either the same chainsaw guy or a second one.

It was real fun for about an hour, and then got aggravating. My group folks started asking the ghouls for the egress. Finally emerged, and rather than wait for a wagon to return us to our bonfire site, we walked back around the maze field. This took us past the haunted tarp again, and one of those ghouls, staying in character, talked to us about walking on the road. She later slithered over to the bonfire and had some fun sitting on haybales next to unsuspecting bonfire sitters.

$14 for everything; seems like a deal. Hope I never hear a chain saw again, ever. But I'd do it again next year.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

A Pre-Hallow Weekend

Hump day just over the hill.....when the weekend finally rolls in.....

Friday PM - Probably nothing doing because of Saturday plans.
    Saturday - Garage putz. (Big chance of rain, though, keeping me inside garage.)
    Saturday PM - Big Halloween party.
    Sunday - NFL football, old movies, work on De Noc. (The record's stuck, the record's stuck.....)

The halloween party is at our friend's house in the woods in Swan Creek Township, south of Swanton. They have a huge barn that is decked out with a balcony, a bar , a dance floor....everything you need to have a big halloween shindig.

I will dress the usual way.....normal clothing, Steeler sweatshirt. Katie is going as a devil or some such thing.

The party will be attended by 75-100 people.....and almost every one will be a Ohio State Buckeye fan, with eyes glued to the big screen TV that will be broadcasting the game against Penn State. I will quietly cheer for the Nittany Lions. Oh, I will also be quietly wishing for the somewhat risque costume choices to make sure my night with a bunch of Suckeyes isn't a total "bust".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    A bi-national marathon? I'd be surprised if they still do it with tightend border security and all. Although I supposse its so heavily monitored that it wouldn't likely cause any security concerns.
    Yes it is a bi-national marathon. Detroit has always tried to remain an international metroplex in spite of customs and immigration. Detroit is as much a City of Onatario as it is of Michigan. Growing up we had Hockey Night in Canada, even the local Bozo was at a Canadian Station! From when I was 18 to about 20 I spent just about every weekend in our neighboring cities in Canada. Lots of folks still work in Canada but live in the US or Vice-versa. GM, Ford, and Chrysler all have a large presence on both sides of the imaginary line that separates the two countries. We are one community both economically and historically.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Opening for REO Speedwagon in Champaign's Assembly Hall Friday.

Set list:

Mongonucleosis
    Make Me Smile
    Vehicle
    Smoke from a Distant Fire
    Beginnings
    What is Hip
    One Fine Morning
    Smooth
    Giving it up for your Love
    25/6/4

We're gonna blow the roof off the joint.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    ...From when I was 18 to about 20 I spent just about every weekend in our neighboring cities in Canada. ....
    The drinking age in Windsor is 19, and here it's 21.

DP, you didn't mention CKLW!

+ Reply to thread
Page 24 of 88 FirstFirst ... 14 23 24 25 34 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 240
    Last post: 17 Apr 2015, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 3:11 PM
  3. What are your plans for the weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 940
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 9:31 PM