Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING What Are Your Weekend Plans Thread

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Just got back from the the State Basketball Tournament, where our son's school lost in the finals. Scary being in a huge caravan of drivers, many of them kids, doing 80-90 mph, but nice getting home in 2:20.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Band practice

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    It's true: conservative Christian Grand Rapids has a burlesque show.
    http://www.spacevstime.com/burlesque/index.html

The acts consist of stripping, weird skits of varying hilarity (the even keel of SNL), stripping, musical interludes, audience participation contests, artistic stripping (hula hoop!), a character known as the re-animated corpse of Gerald R. Ford, vulgar humor, stripping, sophomoric humor, and props such as whipped cream and confetti. The emcee has to kill lots of time while a stagehand cleans up.....
    OK, for the show taking place on the Saturday night between Good Friday and Easter, the show will be making fun of...the Bible!

At rehearsal we got a sample of a song about circumcision. Other themes will include Cain & Abel (for that I riff on "Five Foot Two," as it fits well), Satan (heavy metal music, will have to bring the sousaphone), a Latin number saluting the Virgin of Guadalupe (who strips), and Creation.

I didn't catch any lampooning of folks holding other persuasions. Mr Happy Pants really needs a checklist so he can be sure to offend everyone!

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    wow - never ever invite people to your house on a school night that just got back form a month in Brazil on vacation - hiccup

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    OK, for the show taking place on the Saturday night between Good Friday and Easter, the show will be making fun of...the Bible!

At rehearsal we got a sample of a song about circumcision. Other themes will include Cain & Abel (for that I riff on "Five Foot Two," as it fits well), Satan (heavy metal music, will have to bring the sousaphone), a Latin number saluting the Virgin of Guadalupe (who strips), and Creation.

I didn't catch any lampooning of folks holding other persuasions. Mr Happy Pants really needs a checklist so he can be sure to offend everyone!
    Shoot, I gotta join that troupe - I can do a dead-on imitation of Bullwinkle, and one thing I like to do for yucks sometimes is to recite the most graphic or stirring Bible verses in Bullwinkle's voice ("yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil for thou art....") seems like that would fit right in
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Ummmm....it's really all about roundball from now until the first Monday in April, including weekends.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Rain projected here for Saturday so probably work around the house and move the golf to Sunday. Alternative for Sunday is a hike, but that's up to the other two inhabitants of the casa de Planit. IF they want to go, we'll all go.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hubby and eldest are off to NH for a fencing tournament - when I have the other 2 kids alone like this I am not into cooking so I am workign with some New England traditions:

tonight - spaghetti supper benefit for a pre-school my neighbor's send their kid to
    tomorrow night - public chicken/rice dinner to support a playground
    Sunday night - St Patrick's Day potluck at Church

all set

now I just need a babysitter for the morning so I can make my yoga class...

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    sold the boat! so wrapping her up to send her on her way to Rhode Island. Taking our younger dog to school for tricks training (socialization). And then...continuing on with sewing curtains and cushion covers for my new (old) camper.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2004
    After I discovered that the mowers mowed over my blooming sunflowers, I have added the following tasks to my weekend:

1) buy cheap landscape borders
    2) plant more sunflower seeds
    3) mulch area
    4) install cheap landscape borders

I already had planned to plant some stuff in the front flower bed, take the dog to the dogpark, grocery shopping, library visit, and visit a friend. It'll be a busy weekend!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Looks like we'll be heading over to the beach side tomorrow to check out the new Margaritaville. Then back home for yard work and maybe a little relaxing by the pool time.

Hmmm.... probably better also pick up some frozen concoction supplies on the way home.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Looks like we'll be heading over to the beach side tomorrow to check out the new Margaritaville. Then back home for yard work and maybe a little relaxing by the pool time.

Hmmm.... probably better also pick up some frozen concoction supplies on the way home.
    ack - weather envy - it snowed up here today -

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Apparently I'm being dragged through the over-priced, over-crowded, over-hyped, over-confusing mess that is South By Southwest.

Why can't the future Mrs. TexanOkie's friends just want to experience the recreational Austin? Why's it gotta be alcohol, loud music, and partying all the time? I don't mind it sometimes. But all the time? I'm so glad I'm no longer in college.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Apparently I'm being dragged through the over-priced, over-crowded, over-hyped, over-confusing mess that is South By Southwest.

Why can't the future Mrs. TexanOkie's friends just want to experience the recreational Austin? Why's it gotta be alcohol, loud music, and partying all the time? I don't mind it sometimes. But all the time? I'm so glad I'm no longer in college.
    I feel your pain. I'd rather buy some CDs and go hiking.

I'm glad I don't have friends who do the loud music, partying, alcohol thing all the time. I did it in college, and then I grew out of it. Five Years ago.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I feel your pain. I'd rather buy some CDs and go hiking.

I'm glad I don't have friends who do the loud music, partying, alcohol thing all the time. I did it in college, and then I grew out of it. Five Years ago.
    The funny thing is, the future Mrs. isn't into the partying and alcohol thing so much. She just caters to her friends (especially since they're the ones giving her a lift from OK to TX, which I guess is understandable). She'd go along with it a lot less if there wasn't the music aspect. I like music too. But I like to hear it, not feel it.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Tonight it is Movie and pizzia night, after I head home pick up the kids and go to the gym ( new tunes on the pod so I am so looking forward to me time in the gym)

Saturday morn take the pooch to the dog park and then me to the gym. Later spend some agonizing hours in the back prepping the yard for the spring makeover. Saturday night take the kids and wife to the arc light theather ( they have a cocktail lounge in the the lobby though you cannot take the beverages into the theater)

Sunday watch roadracing, go to the gym, go to the park with the kids to bike and skateboard.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Tonight, I will probably go deposit my check and then buy some beer. Maybe a pizza too.

The weather in Denver is turning ugly on Sunday so I will not be going down to help my dad work (getting his landscaping business up and running for summer). Therefore, I will be hopping on the neighborhood car pool to a St. Patty's Day party in Fort Collins on Saturday night.

Oh, 50 degrees tomorrow, may have to hop back on the bike for a long ride (it has been too long).

I think I have breakfast plans with my wife tomorrow morning too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Not so fast there.
    ZG took my temperature about 30 minutes ago: 101.4 degrees F; sore neck and shoulders, no appetite, feel lethargic. I'm treating the symptoms with red wine.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Not so fast there.
    ZG took my temperature about 30 minutes ago: 101.4 degrees F; sore neck and shoulders, no appetite, feel lethargic. I'm treating the symptoms with red wine.
    Good luck if you got the flu and gave it to me. We'll have a 14 y.o. with an attitude taking care of us. Ruh-roh...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Likely spending saturday in the office working on LUCA.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Not so fast there.
    RJ was in bed and sound asleep by 7 p.m.; a new record. He sipped a little wine; after I took his temp he took 2 Aleve and hit the hay. This does not bode well. I would say he got a little sensitive about me hovering...haven't been around him before when he's been sick... but I am the same way when I'm ill.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

A Weekend With The Bear

Here's da weekend plans for da Bear.....

Friday PM - Nothing cooking. Trying to fix my major computer problems. I have an HP that has a recovery disc built into it. I just ran the recovery and started reloading all the "Winders" updates. But, it appears that my problem has not gone away. The cursur still sometimes sticks in a single position, shuts off the internet, but doesn't shut off the PC.

Saturday AM - Doing some paperwork for the workplace, from the home office.

Saturday PM - Possibly do a little garage cleaning, with temps expected to be about 40F. Today it was in the mid-50F range. Spring is lurking, baby!

Saturday Evening - Loma Linda's. Already got the word from Katie and I quickly agreed. No green beer for us, but Rolling Rock does come in a green bottle. Close enuf!

Sunday - Work on De Noc, watch old movies, relax.

Sunday Evening - The HBO series "John Adams" starts. It looks super. Will check out.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005

Maine winters mean creative holiday plans and events

possible change in plans - some friends invited me to an Ides of March outing tonight at the local Publick House, babysitting included - hmmmmm - screw the community dinner (well, maybe, I am still thinking about it)

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    RJ was in bed and sound asleep by 7 p.m.; a new record. He sipped a little wine; after I took his temp he took 2 Aleve and hit the hay. This does not bode well. I would say he got a little sensitive about me hovering...haven't been around him before when he's been sick... but I am the same way when I'm ill.
    He's probably eating it up. Someone cares, and if I need a Rx or more meds she'll go collect them. Someone else is here. If I take a turn for the worse, won't be a tragic story & headline in a couple weeks...

It's tuba time for me, headed DT for the St Patrick's parade. I will be harassing small children with my big horn, and probably fall in with a marching band for a half block. Last year I drifted to the rear and played off a GRPD cruiser, trading horn blasts as we cleared the streets. It was fun!

Followed by some house work, then headed to Lansing for a contra dance.

Spent three hours on the phone last night with a likely prospect from the afore-mentioned plentyoffish.com dating site. I might have a date for next weekend. (Good Friday, indeed.)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Cleaning & Recycling

This Bear spent a healthy portion of Saturday gathering in some good ole' fresh air. Was out in the garage, for hours, cleaning and straightening. Temps were in the mid-40F range, the rock and roll was loud and good, the hot tea (with local ain't-no-bee-disease honey) was steaming.

After a fairly cold and snowy winter season (more so this year than in the past few years) it was nice to be outside. I believe that TOFB is now familiar with one of the CDs I was cranking, "Lighthouse Live" (horn band from the 1970s, Canuckistan-style). Also blasted Floyd and the MC5 (original punk/hard rock/feedback group from the Motor City).

Because newspapers and other recyclables had been collecting (another word for "Too cold to do anything, I will throw these things in a pile in the cold garage and deal with in the springtime") I filled my Tundramobile with newpapers, cardboard, and plastics and slid over to the local recycling center.

Still a lot to do out there. More next week, as the weather creeps toward the 50F-range.
    _____

Loma Linda's was too crowded when we finally arrived, along about 8:00 PM, so we went to another establishment and had a few drinks with a friend of mine from the workplace.

Sunday will be a day of rest.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ was unwell enough to skip Margaritaville yesterday, and golf today (golf being the true barometer of sickness...). But we got the veggies planted and spent a few hours by the pool today in 78 d. temps with a bottle of bubbly. Now he's making prime rib with roasted potatoes... yum.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 237
    Last post: 09 Sep 2014, 11:04 AM
  2. Replies: 61
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 4:11 PM
  3. What are your plans for the weekend
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 940
    Last post: 06 Jan 2008, 10:31 PM
  4. Weekend Plans