Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Converting agricultural silos to housing

Converting agricultural silos to housing

I am interested in any info on converting a concrete silo to a multi-level (rural) residence, including known examples, references, etc. also, names of manufacturers of new silos to research design, specs, etc, would be helpful.

of special concern are the openings for entry and windows since most silos i've seen have hoops spaced closely enough to be a design problem.

anyway, any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

b.van allen - central new york / albany region

There is a project going on now near Bozeman, MT converting a grain elevator to a residence. These folks are also very interested in learning what has been done before. You can contact me for more info or I can forward stuff to them. I do not have their email address at this time.

Chris Beatty
    ecopress@peak.org

There is the Hilton Hotel in Akron, Ohio that utilizes former Quaker Oats concrete grain silos.

Let me know if you're still interested about this topic and I'll send literature.

j m paananen
    design@paananen.net

I am also interested in doing this and have poked around to see what I can find- I have heard (but not confirmed) that there is a B&B in Hazel Green, WI that has a silo converted to a living space- also a guy in San Jose: see http://www.metroactive.com/papers/lo...over-0010.html
    I am particularly interested in single silo houses, not grain elevators like in Akron.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    There's an interesting illustration in Stewart Brand's book, How Buildings Learn. Can't remember the city, though.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    There is a grain elevator historical society located in Montana, they have a web page (not sure what the URL is), when I e-mailed them they gave me lots of examples of grain elevator conversions - an indoor rock climbing wall, hotel in michigan, housing...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Converting parking garages to other uses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Nov 2011, 4:32 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Jun 2004, 12:48 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Apr 2004, 1:07 AM
  4. Grain silos converted to condominiums
    Design, Space, and Place