Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MLA for Fall 2008

Registered
    Nov 2007

MLA for Fall 2008

Thought I would see if a separate thread for MLA folks would take off. So far I've heard back from UMich and Kansas State--both yeses!

Anyone else?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Do you think if you havent heard from a place by now that it means youre not going to get accepted? I visited Harvard and a prof told me they had sent out there first round of letters but the admissions lady (lied I think) and told me that all letters go out in the middle of March... }Ideas on this/experience with this anyone?

Registered
    Mar 2008

UMN, TEXAS

I was accepted by Univ. of Minnesota and Univ. of Texas-Austin. Does anyone have opinions about either school?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    The only thing I know about UT-Austin's program is that it is relatively new. It just got accredited in 2006.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    did anyone apply to UW-Seattle and heard back?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    i guess for what its worth i got accepted to UVA and UBC's MLA programs

Still waiting on Harvard and Univ of Toronto...

Registered
    Nov 2007
    Congrats, smapty and nlh! Where are your first choices?

Just accepted from UGA on Friday--got a letter in the mail.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Congrats on UGA!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally posted by nlh View post
    I was accepted by Univ. of Minnesota and Univ. of Texas-Austin. Does anyone have opinions about either school?
    I have a pretty high opinion of U. of Minn's MLA program. The only problem is that it's pretty expensive. I got assistance in the form of in-state tuition & it was still about double the tuition cost of coming to UIUC. Throw in the bitter cold of Minnesota & that was enough for me to pass...

Don't discount UTA on account of it being a newer program. Their School of Architecture (which includes LA under it's umbrella) just put out a nice international piece on Landscape Urbanism, titled "Center 14: On Landscape Urbanism".

Registered
    May 2007

MLA Oregon and Arizona

Yeses from both, still no word from Penn, Berkeley, Ball State, Washington.

Registered
    Nov 2007
    I'm also waiting on Berkeley... Congrats on your yeses!

Got an email from a professor at UIllinois U-C with a yes (and on a Saturday!)! But sadly with no money.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ecogal View post
    Just accepted from UGA on Friday--got a letter in the mail.
    If you wind up coming here, and want a friendly face, let me know. I'll probably be living in Athens until mid-July.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    just got a yes from harvard! yeah!!!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008

UIUC fin aid

I'm also waiting on Berkeley... Congrats on your yeses!

Got an email from a professor at UIllinois U-C with a yes (and on a Saturday!)! But sadly with no money.
    Ecogal - I know some schools work out aid well after application letters are sent. The two aren't necessarily linked, just depends on what's available.

I'm at UIUC right now & 1) I got an assistantship (tuition waiver & stipend) about a month AFTER I got my acceptance. Just depends on whether they can match your talents with their need. 2) UIUC is pretty good about getting all of their grad students something to work with every semester.

If you want more info from the ground floor, let me know.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Oh, and the emails on Saturday? That's totally like our faculty . You'll like 'em if you end up here.

Registered
    Nov 2007
    Awesome job, smapty!!

bdaleray, thanks for the offer! If I'm having trouble deciding on a school I may pop down for a visit, and I would love to see a friendly face! Are you in the LA program down there? If so, what do you think of it?

rdnichol--thanks for your reply as well. The reason I think I missed out on funding is because the professor actually apologized that there was no funding available for me at this time, but could change in the future. I don't know how far in the future, though! I guess I'll wait and see! By the way, how do you like the program there?

It's so great to have connections at these school! Thanks all!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    NLH tell my what you did to get yourself into texas. That is my number 1 choice and I am dying to go there for 2009.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Sure, lucifer. I don't think it's a relatively difficult school to get into. My undergrad major was poli. sci., gpa 3.3, and gre 1310. I think my recommendations were strong but I didn't try that hard on the statement (wrote it in one day, the day of the deadline). I took an art class and an intro to arch. drawing class during undergrad so I had some drawings to include in a portfolio. I don't have any significant work credentials.

So far, everyone from the school (texas-austin) has been more than welcoming. I'm a little hesitant because the size of the faculty is very small. But, I guess that could be both good and bad. Good luck with your app.

Registered
    Mar 2008

decisions decisions

Hello - I am new to this post. It is now decision time and Im wondering if others find themselves in a similar situation as this: When I was sending applications I joked that I would probably get accepted at my top choice schools, which are also the ones w/ highest price tag, but not my second choices, including UGA which is in my state of residence, which have more affordable tuition an room & board.

As fate has it I got accepted at Harvard, and rejected from UGA (!). I am now navigating the not insignificant finances that come along w/ the harvard package.

Anyone else having sticker shock? Even after the grants are awarded, loans must be taken out in order to attend the Ivy league schools. Im hoping to resubmit my FAFSA and include my parents financial info to see if they pony up some additional funding....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    i think you just need to take out the loans, i mean you could always try to get an assistantship once youve started at Harvard. moreover, i think that you will make more money (very broadly speaking) coming out of the harvard program than you would have at uga. its grad school, lots of people get into debt for flat screen hd tvs and shiny cars, just think of this as your brand new hummer. in all seriousness though, its harvard - have you seen the faculty and alumni that come out of there - you are tapping into that whole network, etc etc. you really should just take out the loan and go.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    bdaleray, thanks for the offer! If I'm having trouble deciding on a school I may pop down for a visit, and I would love to see a friendly face! Are you in the LA program down there? If so, what do you think of it?
    Yes, I'm in the process of finishing my MLA right now. Just need to finish the thesis and I'll be done! (and then find a job)

Overall, I think the program here is a good program. With the size of the undergrad program it means you've got a very diverse faculty. More importantly, Athens is a great town to spend a few years in.....

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by smapty View post
    i think you just need to take out the loans, i mean you could always try to get an assistantship once youve started at Harvard. moreover, i think that you will make more money (very broadly speaking) coming out of the harvard program than you would have at uga. its grad school, lots of people get into debt for flat screen hd tvs and shiny cars, just think of this as your brand new hummer. in all seriousness though, its harvard - have you seen the faculty and alumni that come out of there - you are tapping into that whole network, etc etc. you really should just take out the loan and go.
    thanks for the advice smapty -- this seems to be the general response that Ive heard from friends and family so far. I'll go to the open house in april and decide afterward, based on other acceptances and/or rejections that come in the meantime.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    ecogal - When they say "there isn't any funding available for you at this time" put the emphasis on "at this time". Assistantships, etc. are assigned in about a month or so. Most of that is due to the fact that we don't start registering for fall classes for a few weeks & therefore the department doesn't know when people will be available yet! If I remember right, I got my call (on a Sunday ) about an assistantship in the middle of April. That was pretty late though.

The program is solid. but there were two new LA design faculty hires last year that are amazing and they're working out another one right now (three faculty left due to retirement recently). If I'm reading into the "eco" part of your handle correctly, there are alot of students in the ecological design concentration at the MLA level here and alot of faculty that deal specifically with ecological design here both within and affiliated with the LA department. If you do end up here and that's your focus, you'll be happy.

Registered
    May 2007

Show me the money!!

Congrats to everyone on their yeses and to those with NOs, I commiserate (a big middle finger to UW-Seattle!)

So now that we more or less know our options, how do we find out what we really want to know--how much is this going to cost me?! I understand from some other posts in this thread that assistantships are doled out much later than acceptances. Unfortunately, most programs want a commitment by April 15.

Do you think it's unrealistic to want to know whether you can get an assistantship before you accept an offer? How do you get an assistantship?

Right now, I have decent scholarships from Arizona and Berkeley, no $$ from Oregon (they say no departmental awards for 1st year students?), still waiting on Penn's $$ offer, and waiting to hear yes or no for admission to Ball State. I like all the programs and honestly don't think I can choose without knowing how much debt I'll be signing up for.

Can anyone tell me about likelihood for assistantships at any of these places? Is it rare to get an assistantship your first year and easier after that?

Also, what about applying as a resident after your first year in Arizona, California, or Oregon--does anyone know if they go for that?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    i got accepted to Ball State last year and they offered me half assistantship
    and from my visit there, the director was telling me how he wanted to provide at least some sort of assistantship to all the incoming students.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 36
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 12:14 AM
  3. Replies: 34
    Last post: 03 Jan 2008, 1:37 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Sep 2007, 12:36 PM
  5. Replies: 31