Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Graduating from Cal Poly Pomona and jobs in the LA metro...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Graduating from Cal Poly Pomona and jobs in the LA metro...

I am going to Cal Poly Pomona next fall and am wondering if I will have a good shot getting a job in 2 yrs when the economy picks up. I heard LA has alot of jobs and a lot of internship possibilities. Pomona is close to the OC, Inland Empire, and LA. My other choice for school is Cal Poly SLO and I feel I won't get into that school. Thanks for any help.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    I am going to Cal Poly Pomona next fall and am wondering if I will have a good shot getting a job in 2 yrs when the economy picks up.
    WHEN the economy picks up. Since you can see the future, do you have the latest PowerBall numbers too?

Nonetheless, there is a backlog of planning jobs right now, likely not getting filled in two years. Start your internships right away, network until you are blue in the face, and hope.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    The department chair told me students are getting jobs and I heard Cal Poly SLO students are getting jobs too. Apparently doing Climate Action Plans and half in cities and half in firms. My understanding is more jobs are near major cities. And to work in smaller or wealthy towns u at least need a master's degree.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    The department chair told me students are getting jobs and I heard Cal Poly SLO students are getting jobs too. Apparently doing Climate Action Plans and half in cities and half in firms. My understanding is more jobs are near major cities. And to work in smaller or wealthy towns u at least need a master's degree.
    What is the sustainability of these jobs? Planning is dependent upon development and things getting built: current planning is doing plan review for development proposals. Long range planning is setting patterns for development. If the economy is such that little or nothing is getting built, there are little or no jobs for planners, especially as there are plenty of jurisdictions still making budget cuts. It is true that the young and little experienced are getting hired because they are cheaper and more mobile, but Climate Action Plans are not permanent jobs.

My point being in two years there is little likelihood of the economy being turned around and stuff being built. And there are plenty of planners with experience willing to relocate and take a pay cut to work. Just saying. Look with open eyes.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The department chair told me students are getting jobs and I heard Cal Poly SLO students are getting jobs too.
    I work with 2 calpoly slo interns. One is a recent graduate and is only of the only 2 other people employed from the graduating class. And this person is still an intern.

Department heads and other permanent faculty have no real clue on how ruff it is out there. When it comes to jobs, the private sector will pick up first, then the public sector. When you start seeing more private sector listing for entry level, then you know things are starting to turn around. In California, it will be grim for at least another 2 to 3 years, minimum.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Yeah, but I would presume there are jobs in LA area. I feel going to Pomona will land me a job one day.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yeah, but I would presume there are jobs in LA area. I feel going to Pomona will land me a job one day.
    Have you seen the Cal Apa listings? There has not been an entry level position listed since earlier this year. Doesn't matter what metro your in. Hate to be a debbie downer, but the entry level market will not be ready for true "entry level" folks for quite sometime. The older, more seasoned planners will fill the void simply to put food on the table until the economy picks up.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    IOW: >>Yeah, but I would presume there are jobs in X area. I feel going to Y will land me a job one day.<<

'One day' being key. As I stated above,
    there is a backlog of planning jobs right now, likely not getting filled in two years. Start your internships right away, network until you are blue in the face, and hope.
    Have a Plan B, as what I take your assumptions to be are not operational at this time.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    IOW: >>Yeah, but I would presume there are jobs in X area. I feel going to Y will land me a job one day.<<

'One day' being key. As I stated above,
    there is a backlog of planning jobs right now, likely not getting filled in two years. Start your internships right away, network until you are blue in the face, and hope.
    Have a Plan B, as what I take your assumptions to be are not operational at this time.
    Not to mention the National APA Conference will be hosted in LA the year I graduate.

Technically I'll be done spring 2013. If the department chair says his graduates are getting jobs, then I should give him a chance and believe him. In LA right now there passing projects and skipping parts of the EIR to get things built just so people have jobs. Maybe this is why that area is doing better?

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Have you seen the Cal Apa listings? There has not been an entry level position listed since earlier this year. Doesn't matter what metro your in. Hate to be a debbie downer, but the entry level market will not be ready for true "entry level" folks for quite sometime. The older, more seasoned planners will fill the void simply to put food on the table until the economy picks up.
    Just because they aren't listed doesn't mean jobs aren't there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2010
    Students are getting voluntary planning jobs in LA.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2010
    Not to mention the National APA Conference will be hosted in LA the year I graduate.

Technically I'll be done spring 2013. If the department chair says his graduates are getting jobs, then I should give him a chance and believe him. In LA right now there passing projects and skipping parts of the EIR to get things built just so people have jobs. Maybe this is why that area is doing better?
    City of LA laid off 40% of planning staff.

Some CP grads were getting paid jobs in 07 & 08 prior to city. budgets being decimated. Your best bet at a paid part-time job is probably Metro.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I would go to CalPoly SLO over Pomona... but that's just my bias, since SLO is where I got my MCRP. I would add that a lot of faculty are somewhat detached from the "real job world"... so I would take the comment that "recent grads are finding work" with a huge grain of salt. Also consider that grad school programs are still trying to recruit students, so it would not surprise me that they would advertise good job prospects over none.

As far as SLO/Pomona differences are concerned... you'll have different internship opportunities and case studies. Pomona offers the greater LA area, with a more metropolitan environment. SLO offers work and study with smaller coastal towns, which has its own merits.

In any matter, didn't mean to be too much of a downer... good luck.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I am from San Luis Obispo and didn't get in. A part-time job right afterwards would be okay for time being. I hope I can find a real job when the economy picks up in 3 years. I am wondering if I should minor in GIS. Pomona says I already have 3 years when I start. Hopefully going during Summer might shorten that.

College faculty and staff will give you the same old song and dance about getting jobs on graduation. In reality, few planning graduates are getting work straight out of school, and many of them have to take non-planning jobs to get by. This is based on my alumni connections and the last couple of graduating classes out of CPSLO.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I hope I can find a real job when the economy picks up in 3 years. .
    chuckle.

We're going to have two more years of absolutely nothing happening to right the economic ship in this country. There very likely will be few opportunities for people not willing to relocate and not from a top school. You need a reality-based plan.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    chuckle.

We're going to have two more years of absolutely nothing happening to right the economic ship in this country. There very likely will be few opportunities for people not willing to relocate and not from a top school. You need a reality-based plan.
    or someone who has a knockout portfolio of classwork and internships...so there is some silver lining. I had to do it in a boom economy and I still do it today.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2007
    chuckle.

I wouldn't say absolutely nothing, but with there are many unemployed planners or planners stuck in positions due to economic factors (such as location, tech positions, etc.).

Once the economy picks up, and the unemployed planners with experience get picked up, and some internal/external movement begins to occur, you will see employment opportunities open up for entry level, newly minted grads.

The exception might be private sector hiring, however if the few hirings that I have seen include hiring back people that have been let go since they have an understanding of the position.

The fundamental problem is that many grads lack real world experience, and the candidate pool with experience is very large right now. As a hiring manger for a private firm or public sector I would take experience into account, especially in the private sector if a new planner can be brought up to speed quickly rather than wasting overhead dollars on some OJT.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    chuckle.

In two years, I expected the people waiting to get hired will be hired. In three years, entry level positions will open up. Cal Poly Pomona is a top notch school. Second to Cal Poly SLO. They have Planning Board Accreditation.

I am looking into some private sectors jobs in Orange County because they are several consulting firms down there.

I expect to be interning by this Fall.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I wouldn't say absolutely nothing, but with there are many unemployed planners or planners stuck in positions due to economic factors (such as location, tech positions, etc.).

Once the economy picks up, and the unemployed planners with experience get picked up, and some internal/external movement begins to occur, you will see employment opportunities open up for entry level, newly minted grads.
    Well, maybe you're correct that 'almost nothing' is more accurate than 'absolutely nothing', but the optic is accurate for personal planning purposes. And the CA economy? Sheesh.

And with nothing happening in the economy, there will be hardly any construction. And with hardly any construction, there will be almost no new planning jobs, especially for those with no experience.

Bottom line: any plan that doesn't include moving is hope. It is up to the reader to decide whether hope is a plan.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Mar 2012, 7:45 AM
  2. Cal Poly Pomona?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 4:22 AM
  3. Cal Poly Pomona
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 31 Jul 2006, 7:10 PM