Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: North American career move - suggestions please

Registered
    Oct 2006

North American career move - suggestions please

Hi there,

I'm completing my master's degree in planning at university here in Australia this year. Once that is over, I'm considering my options. As you only live once, I think a move to Canada or the USA for a year or two for contracting work or some time in a local authority would be great experience, not only in a work sense but also personally too of course.

Visa matters aside (Australians are eligible for a special category of visa for "professional" and time-limited working periods in the US for example) does anyone have any suggestions of where I should look or perhaps firms I should talk to?

My experience is in local authorities and consulting, in assessment, policy and design review and tenure. Any suggestions appreciated!!

Thanks,

DB
    urbanrenewal

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think it will be a challenge to find a job unless you move first. It will then be possible to get a local government planner job (based on what I see here in Massachusetts) but the pay won't be great. You would also have a shot at a consulting job if you play your cards right.

Not sure about the nuances of work visas but I did work with an Aussie a while back and he seemed to be able to get a job in the USA. Of course, he went back to Australia after a few years with his American wife!

Registered
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for that - the visa thing is confusing to say the least. You are right tho that it would be a whole lot easier to be in the country for interviews, meetings etc., rather than come and go. Needless to say that would be a whole lot cheaper!!

Looks like I'll have more than just study on my mind this year. Thanks for your help

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Sep 2008, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 12:43 PM
  3. North American Integration?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 15 Mar 2005, 11:29 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Dec 2002, 10:37 AM