Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why is this a bad location for a fairgrounds?

Registered
    Mar 2006

Why is this a bad location for a fairgrounds?

Some people want to relocate the county fairgrounds to a location that doesn't make much sense to us in the planning department. It is at the intersection of two state highways, adjacent to the incorporated city, with commercial zoning adjacent on one side.

Of course, it makes more sense to us to reserve this land for more economically generative uses, and to not have a fairgrounds near such a busy intersection, from a safe traffic standpoint. But, my boss wants me to come up with more, additional rationales for why this is a bad location.

I'm drawing a blank. Anyone feel like helping?

Registered
    Mar 2008
    A Fairground only operates and certain times of the year. So you will essentially have a dead corner for much of the year with no activity.

If it is near two major highways, it would make more sense to let those highways serve a constant use as opposed to an occasional one. Seems as if you would potentially be driving a more traffic generating use away from the infrastructure.

Visually, fairgrounds are not that aesthetically pleasing until you get on site. From the road you typically only see parking lots, entrance gates, etc. It would make more sense to have a use that is compatible with the visibiility of the site and one that has some outward focus and activity.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    How many acres is the site? Will the fairgrounds be uses as perhaps a flea market or farmers market when the fair is not going on? I like good access typical of being able to access onto two major roads if that is the plan. Access points onto each road say 660 feet away from the intersection would often be ideal. Any chancea smaller piece in the corner couldbe used for fulltimeroad service uses with the fairgrounds wrapped around it?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Don't forget that fairs can generate a whole host of externalities, including:

* Extremely heavy traffic when events begin and end.
    * Smells and dust; there's a large agricultural component, with animal exhibits and judging, racing ovals, and the like.
    * Noise: country and Southern rock concerts, races, tractor pulls, figure-eight school bus races, and so on.

Fairgrounds are usually owned by non-profit groups or associations. That means a site which has good potential for commercial or office development could be taken off the tax rolls.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the help guys. The tax roll issue is definitely the most obvious concern, but we are trying to beef up our stance.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dont forget the temporary impact on law enforcement services. Otherwise, I agree with the other comments.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Location, Location, Location
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Jan 2011, 2:45 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Mar 2009, 12:20 PM
  3. Job vs location?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Mar 2008, 11:35 AM