Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OT BSU Department Head Thread (Split from For every year - a Cyburbian born)

  1. #1

    OT BSU Department Head Thread (Split from For every year - a Cyburbian born)

    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock View post
    BTW, after my entry above, the median DOB is 1968. Or more accurately, 1967.5.
    I bet Dave Schoen loved you Pete.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

  2. #2
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Off-topic:


    I bet Dave Schoen loved you Pete.
    Off-topic:

    BIG DAVE! Did yall know he's the department head now?

  3. #3
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    Off-topic:

    BIG DAVE! Did yall know he's the department head now?
    Off-topic:
    Holy crap! I'd have never thought that possible during my time at BSU....and I liked Dave (had him for 3 different classes).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  4. #4
    Cyburbian Joe Iliff's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 1997
    Location
    Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Off-topic:
    Holy crap! I'd have never thought that possible during my time at BSU....and I liked Dave (had him for 3 different classes).
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, but I think they are looking for a chairperson. Saw it posted a while ago.
    JOE ILIFF
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Debt is normal . . . Be weird!
    Dave Ramsey

    "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  5. #5
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,635
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Off-topic:
    Holy crap! I'd have never thought that possible during my time at BSU....and I liked Dave (had him for 3 different classes).
    He is only the head because they are searching for a new head. Dr. Kelly I guess decided he didn't like the temp position or something.

    Planning.org has the position listed. And if you were to please a BSU professor with your mathematical wit I would think it would be Bill Hill.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  6. #6
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    He is only the head because they are searching for a new head. Dr. Kelly I guess decided he didn't like the temp position or something.

    Planning.org has the position listed. And if you were to please a BSU professor with your mathematical wit I would think it would be Bill Hill.
    Dr. Kelly had too many irons in the fire and was only a temporary head himself. Schoen may end up being the same kind of chair Kelly was, temporary for a few years until someone else steps up.

    Bill Hill was/is a great teacher. You could also impress him with spreadsheets. They are very powerful tools.

  7. #7

    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Off-topic:


    I bet Dave Schoen loved you Pete.
    Who is Dave Schoen?

    Also, I should've posted in the OCD thread about my fascination with manipulating numbers.

  8. #8
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,694
    Moderator note:
    I wonder if it's time to start a "Ball State Memories" thread?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  9. #9
    Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Moderator note:
    I wonder if it's time to start a "Ball State Memories" thread?
    Moderator note:
    'tis done. Apologies for the hijack.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

  10. #10
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,635
    How could you ask who Dave Schoen is? Did you not go to BSU? If you didn't than that is okay, but otherwise ....

    Yea Schoen is still teaching some computer based classes, but if I were to put a broad generalization over who I would try to impress with my math skills I would pick Bill Hill. If I could impress him, I am pretty sure I could impress anyone.

    I also agree that Excel is his favorite program on earth, and to be honest, he can do things that I don't think Microsoft envisioned to be done. He also loves Weatherization. Which is a pretty good thing right?

    Ahh Ball State.....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  11. #11
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    How could you ask who Dave Schoen is? Did you not go to BSU? If you didn't than that is okay, but otherwise ....

    Yea Schoen is still teaching some computer based classes, but if I were to put a broad generalization over who I would try to impress with my math skills I would pick Bill Hill. If I could impress him, I am pretty sure I could impress anyone.

    I also agree that Excel is his favorite program on earth, and to be honest, he can do things that I don't think Microsoft envisioned to be done. He also loves Weatherization. Which is a pretty good thing right?

    Ahh Ball State.....
    I took an energy planning class with Bill Hill last spring. He taught us about weatherization and the other ways you can save money by making changes to buildings, like using energy efficient light bulbs, etc. He's a great resource. Replacement windows are a huge waste of money as a tool to increase energy efficiency.

    He taught me a lot of cool tricks for excel, and he is always so excited to learn new tricks from students. If only everyone had that enthusiasm.

    I agree about impressing him...if he's impressed with your skills (and actually tells you), you should be studying math at MIT.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    17,617
    I wonder if I have met either Dave Schoen or Bill Hill at any IPA functions ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  13. #13
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    chaos
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I wonder if I have met either Dave Schoen or Bill Hill at any IPA functions ?
    Dave Schoen does that AICP exam review at the IPA conference, at least he did last year for the one in June. Bill Hill doesn't go to as much stuff like that.

  14. #14
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    9,635
    Both Bill Hill and Dave seem to stay behind the scenes on the APA stuff. Dr. Kelly, Francis Parker, and Jim Segedy, work the PR angle to the outside world.

    I say that like the three of them aren't incredibly good at all that they do as well, they just find time to be involved in everything at APA as well.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Joe Iliff's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 1997
    Location
    Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Both Bill Hill and Dave seem to stay behind the scenes on the APA stuff. Dr. Kelly, Francis Parker, and Jim Segedy, work the PR angle to the outside world.
    And Segedy is gone now . . . off to consult in the private sector.
    JOE ILIFF
    ________________________________________________________________________
    Debt is normal . . . Be weird!
    Dave Ramsey

    "Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Cyburbian Event of the Year
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Feb 2014, 5:22 PM
  2. For every year - a Cyburbian born
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 145
    Last post: 03 May 2013, 9:28 PM
  3. What year were you born?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 19 Oct 2011, 3:25 PM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2011, 9:37 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 05 Apr 2011, 4:57 PM