Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Course recommendations for undergrad

Registered
    Mar 2008

Course recommendations for undergrad

So, after this semester, I will only have 1 more until I graduate. I have done a lot to try and structure my course load to help me be better prepared for a graduate program in planning (I am in Geography now), but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on courses I should take, i.e. what are you glad you took, or mad you didn't take before graduate school?

Thanks!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by MAWard View post
    So, after this semester, I will only have 1 more until I graduate........
    wondering if anyone had any suggestions on courses I should take, i.e. what are you glad you took, or mad you didn't take before graduate school.
    At this point you should only be choosing elective courses, so what is left or what courses are you considering ?
    To better help you, it would help if you gave us a short list to make recommendations from.

Are you missing credit hours for a minor in something ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Take a Law class

If you can get into a Land Use Law class, that would be great. If not, Business Law would be an okay substitute. A lot of planning, both public and private is based on local ordinances - either enforcing them or conforming to them. I took business law as an undergrad to make my dad happy, and the analytical skills I learned from that course have come in handy on many, many occasions. My school did not offer Land Use law until my final semester, and at that point I had other requirements I had to finish up.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    At this point you should only be choosing elective courses, so what is left or what courses are you considering ?
    To better help you, it would help if you gave us a short list to make recommendations from.

Are you missing credit hours for a minor in something ?
    Essentially, I will be taking whatever I want. Essentially, the advice I am looking for is in electives. In terms of a list, well, that is the problem, I have a lot of options. To my original question, what kinds of courses are you glad you took, or wish you could have taken?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would say get into a stats class if you haven't had any yet. I would also brush up on your writing skills. If you haven't taken a comprehensive writing class yet, I would do that. Grad school, as well as the real world, involves lots of writing.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Recommendations on new PC
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Jul 2008, 4:12 PM
  2. GPS receiver recommendations
    Information Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 1:36 PM
  3. Laptop recommendations?
    Information Technology