Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Plan critique and exhibition forum: your thoughts?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Plan critique and exhibition forum: your thoughts?

Printing out the second draft of a corridor plan I've been working on for the past few years (along with many other projects; this got sidelined for the community's comprehensive plan), I was thinking that it could be useful to have a subforum where we can share and/or critique each other's plans, code amendments, staff reports, and so on.

The Cyburbia Forums have a level of semi-anonymity that many users expect and value. Posting your work in a public forum might compromise that. Because of that, a critique/showoff subforum would probably have access limited to those with 25 or more posts.

Your thoughts?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Printing out the second draft of a corridor plan I've been working on for the past few years (along with many other projects; this got sidelined for the community's comprehensive plan), I was thinking that it could be useful to have a subforum where we can share and/or critique each other's plans, code amendments, staff reports, and so on.

The Cyburbia Forums have a level of semi-anonymity that many users expect and value. Posting your work in a public forum might compromise that. Because of that, a critique/showoff subforum would probably have access limited to those with 25 or more posts.

Your thoughts?

It's a good idea. Something I learnred i sthat you can't edit your own stuff. Peer review is done in other profession.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Danger Will Robinson Danger!

I see the 25 post protection, but I could see major problems developing with reports, plans, etc being released on a public website when they have not been fully vetted and edited. There are somethings that are very dangerous to make available publicly without proper editing, especially when you are dealing with planning documents that are often controversial to start with. I have nightmares about the public getting hold of our current downtown plan draft in its current state.

Believe me, I would love for this to be available, but I don't think it is worth the risk as you've suggested.

I could see establishing something in the resource directory as a show-off area for some of our plans once they are approved or at least vetted--maybe even threads discussing them.

I could also see implementing an invitation-only method of allowing review of a draft document. For example, I might not want our draft downtown plan viewable by everyone in Cyburbia with more than 25 posts, but I might want Cardinal to look at it because I know he does market studies and DoD because as a pub owner & planner outside of my city he might provide some insight into creating an entertainment district. Of course, this is concerning because it creates a world where new posters won't immediately be able to participate and it could promote cliques.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    If we could adequately address the concerns of Suburb Repairman (which are good points, I think), I am in support of the idea. Can there be a page added whereby participants with 25 posts or greater also agree not to share this plan information outside of the forum, allowing those developing them to release them to the public through their official channels and process? (click here if you agree).

Or something similar?

I think this is a very exciting idea that could really up the ante in our professionalism by soliciting focused, professional input. This is one facet I miss from school - studios with heavy critique by professionals in the field and real clients. Now, we have real clients, but have lost the professional critique (or, at the least, its more limited).
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm with SR on this one.

This has "problematic" written all over it.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    So long as it is something which is a "public" document (meaning the agency preparing/paying for it has released it for comments), I can see this working. Otherwise, I can only see it bringing pain to the hapless planner who posts something not quite ready for prime time.

Perhaps the creation of a peer review network, along the lines of what Suburb Repairman has suggested might be an idea. Create a database of cyburbia users interested in participating and their area of expertise. Other members looking to shop something around can then contact those members directly to see if they have time/interest in reviewing something and go from there.

Don't forget to include a column in the database for a chargeout rate

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I agree with SR and I think participants must buy a round at laefests...

I can also see these threads getting locked and yellow flags flying too but that happens anyway...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rural planning forum: your thoughts?
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 17 May 2009, 4:55 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Nov 2007, 5:00 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 13 Nov 2003, 12:57 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Oct 2003, 1:43 PM