Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone facilitate a Community Based Development Organization (CBDO) setup recently?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Anyone facilitate a Community Based Development Organization (CBDO) setup recently?

I'm looking to do so in my community and would really appreciate hearing stories based on the HUD requirements and any particulars of your situation that may be generic enough to relate. Thanks.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I don't have the demographics for HUD projects (need to borrow the numbers from the other side of the island) so what is this? I am working on economic development now up here so I'm looking for new approaches -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    oops technical difficulties
    Last edited by planner?; 10 Apr 2008 at 1:25 AM. Reason: acidentaly posted twice. . .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2004
    San Felice- CDBO, isn't an acronym used to often. . . but it is sort of the CDBG equivalent of a CHDO which is affiliated with the HOME program. . . and I did recently set up a CHDO. feel free to PM me any questions you have. . .

I'm sure you have it, but the applicable statute is: 24 CFR 570.204

In setting one up the biggest hurdle, time wise, is that the IRS takes almost a year to go through the 501(c)3 process, and you need that to happen before you can get CHDO certified. . . I believe that the reg's are similar for a CBDO, but it's been awhile and I would honestly have to look them up.

What sort of work are you trying to do with the new org?

While a CBDO does have some special purposes CDBG funds are often used for public works and well just generally can be hard to get in some areas. . .the HOME funds actually have a set-aside for CHDO's which many municipalities actually have a hard time giving away. . .

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Community organization registration
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 May 2013, 6:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Mar 2013, 1:58 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 12:17 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 8:46 PM