Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why Minnesota is going to hell

Registered
    Feb 2004

Why Minnesota is going to hell

http://www.startribune.com/local/15859722.html

Seems bars in Minnesota figured out a way to get around the state's smoking ban. There's an exemption in the state law allowing performers to smoke on stage, so enterprising/devious club owners have begun turning the entire bar into a 'stage' and distributing 'actor' buttons to all (smoking) patrons and hosting 'actor's night' (hey, who says I'm NOT an actor).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Thats FREAKING AWESOME!

They are not going to hell, they should be commended!

He He, I could get away with this REALLY easy! Ive always got somebody in my crowd playing "Vampire, the Masquerade".

Rock Paper Scissors with a cigarette in play!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We saw the same type of creativity in central FL a few years ago, after a new county ordinance prohibiting nudity in the strip clubs. There was a loophole that allowed nudity in legitimate theatrical performances. One strip club had the strippers doing scenes from Shakespeare as they stripped all the way.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    One man's vice is another man's virtue. People will find a way. Why can't have "smoking bars" & "non-smoking bars" and let people choose? I suspect it would be difficult for the non-smoling ones to survive, however.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Essentially this should be up to the business, but I must admit, it is nice to go to bars in Colorado and not be all smoky...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We saw the same type of creativity in central FL a few years ago, after a new county ordinance prohibiting nudity in the strip clubs. There was a loophole that allowed nudity in legitimate theatrical performances. One strip club had the strippers doing scenes from Shakespeare as they stripped all the way.
    I saw a show about that! I think it was on that HBO or Showtime show, Real Sex, I think that's what it's called. It is ridiculous what they come up with to get around laws. It was worth watching just to see strippers recite Shakespeare!

Should I admit that I watch that?

As for smoking, I'll eat anywhere once, but if I can't breathe because of the smoke, I don't go back. Bars that allow smoking are becoming cesspools, at least from what I've seen. I would have gone there in college, but not now. Blech.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Never A Smoker

This Bear was never a smoker but I certainly have inhaled a ton of second-hand smoke, based on all the bars I have been in.

Having Libertarianish views, I am opposed to outlawing smoking in bars. Should be a matter of choice.

However.....

I am a strong advocate of safety in the workplace. OSHA will cite many a manufacturing establishment for allowing hazardous chemicals in the workplace, unless your employees are protected by procedures, personal protective equipment (PPEs), engineering enhancements, etc.

The safety side of my brain says that second-hand smoke is a hazardous substance.

This is an issue that I agree and disagree with both sides. Dang fence.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. A new hello from Minnesota!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2010, 9:48 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 May 2010, 12:26 AM
  3. Hello from Minnesota
    Introduce Yourself