Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Limits on mini-storage

Registered
    Mar 2002

Limits on mini-storage

I'm looking for examples of limits/controls/bans on mini-storage facilities in general commercial zones. We have a seven-mile highway through town that is the city's Main Street. It is zoned for general commercial use, which in our scheme means retail uses, but which allows min-storage. There is a growing number mini-storage facilities being built. In the opinion of some mini-storage is not an appropriate use along the Main Street area as it is not a pedestrian-oriented use. We also allow them in our industrial zone. Are there examples of requirements for, e.g., setting them behind a retail use, ot requring extensive landscaping/buffering? Any outright bans?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We are a large-sized 2nd ring Chicago suburb and storage facilities are only permitted in our industrial districts.

We would never allow storage uses in a commercial district.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    We have established an overlay district along certain primary streets in town and established different building and use criteria in the name of historic [cultural] preservation.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    I worked in a town that treated them as an industrial land use, permitted by right only in industrial districts. We tried to add them as a conditional use in commercial districts, so that they could be established on some sites, but not others, to keep the prime retail properties for retail.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Protect your retail areas from this use as they'll suck the life out of an active retail/personnel service commercial area. Our planning commission asked us to investigate allowing this use as a matter of right in our neighborhood commercial zone district! I conveniently forgot to follow-up on that suggestion.

I despise this use with a passion.
    I don't do anything right.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Architectural design R/V & mini storage standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jun 2013, 2:58 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 1:22 PM
  3. Mini Storage Density?
    Land Use and Zoning