Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Apply for jobs not fully qualified for or not?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Apply for jobs not fully qualified for or not?

2 jobs are open at my chosen location:

1) I am qualified for in terms of years of experience and education but would be a step down in title, responsibility and very small step down in pay (couple hundred$) of my current job

2) I am qualified for in education, 2 years short on experience. This job fits my chosen career path much better. It ties into what I am doing now much better- which more responsibility. The pay is about a 4,000 raise.

Neither are management positions so it would not be a huge experience jump or learning curve even with #2

This agency I have been eyeing openings for quite some time and it would be highly desirable to obtain employment there.

My questions are..
    if I applied for #2, would I not get it because of experience and ruin my chances with #1?

If I applied for both #1 and #2 would it ruin my chances at both?

If I applied only for one would I be selling myself short?

I would much prefer job #2 but working at this location is the primary goal.
    Please Help- Advice Needed

Registered
    Aug 2005
    do you know anyone at the chosen location? do they promote from within? if you took job #1 would job #2 be a possible promotion in 2 years?

would you feel comfortable speaking to HR regarding your chances at #2? sometimes they have to strictly adhere to the years experience, other times they have some wiggle room.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Where there is a shortage of candidates (rural high plains), apply for the higher job. Where more qualified candidates are anticipated, the pre-requisites are more critical. Can you get a feel for the market?

In other words, what dandy just said.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    do you know anyone at the chosen location? do they promote from within? if you took job #1 would job #2 be a possible promotion in 2 years?

would you feel comfortable speaking to HR regarding your chances at #2? sometimes they have to strictly adhere to the years experience, other times they have some wiggle room.
    I just know people through contacts not personally, but have spoke to them

Yes they promote from within but the job will still be advertised and you will go up against "outsiders" unsure how much favoritism the would be promotee would get

would I feel comfortable speaking about my chances of #2? Maybe.. but I feel like if i gave them the ol- I am not fully qualified but i think i could do it if you give me a chance speech- it would automatically bump me down to job #1 at best

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I typically advise people to always look to move up, no lateral moves or downgrading unless a. you are burning out and want the break or b. you are relocating (but even then, only if that's the only thing available where you are going)

so in your case, go for #2 - if it's what you really want, that will come through in the interview - whereas if you interview for 1, they will know it's not what you really want

employers want employees who really want to be there -

good luck - let us know how it goes!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Tough call. Although if this is an agency you really want to work and stay for then taking a step down will not hurt you. In fact it stregthens your cover letter in how your desire to work for agency X is so strong you are willing to take a lesser postion to work there.

I would call HR and talk with them like Dandy suggested. From what I am seeing in the job market is that it is highly competitive and people are taking jobs where they exceed the level of education and experience.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Apply to jobs that are not local
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Jan 2014, 6:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Oct 2012, 8:20 PM
  3. Replies: 59
    Last post: 27 Sep 2006, 3:14 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 30 Jun 2006, 12:45 PM