Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interview help for downtown development position

Interview help for downtown development position

Interview is approaching. It is my second significant interview of my life and I was very nervous during my last one.

Background: going to graduate with MPA in May. undergrad in social science. I have taken a few planning classes and interned with a downtown development division, but certainly not my strong point. But I've had classes and gained internship that is relevant, I'm confident I can do the job.

The position is in downtown development/economic development for a small town. It is a newly created position for the organization.

What are some concepts or themes to expect? Any particular notes I should make sure to hit? What types of questions beyond the typical questions should one expect?

Since Downtown development is such a comprehensive process, seems the technical questions could really vary.
    What types of questions should I ask?

Despite my confidence, I'm sure I'll be nervous come gametime, so any basic interview advice would be appreciated as well. Thanks everyone.

Registered
    May 2005
    Familiarize yourself with any projects that the town is currently working on or planning to work on.

Make your answers to questions relevant to these projects.

Don't just rely on your skills, experience, and education. You need to sell yourself to them and let them know how much you would love to work in this town. Make it personal.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    These positions tend to emphasize execution/implementation rather than planning. Talk about how you get things done. Relationship-building may also be significant.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Have some knowledge of the agency's toolkit, such as 1) the benefits it is able to hand out, i.e. property tax breaks; 2) its funding sources, i.e. state and/or federal grants.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Jun 2014, 6:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 16 May 2008, 1:47 PM
  3. Director position interview
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 May 2008, 11:45 AM
  4. "Practical" Interview for planning position?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Aug 2007, 10:35 AM