Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Acceptance decisions 2008

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I'm deciding between NYU, Hunter and the University at Buffalo (Buffalo is my hometown). Same issues as everyone I think...I got some money from NYU but it's still much much more than Hunter. UB gave me full tuition and the program really appeals to me but I live in New York now and I don't know if I want to leave! I'm seriously evenly split between the three schools and I change my mind every hour. I think my friends are sick of hearing about it. Not that I take pleasure in others' stress but this board comforts me...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't decide!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by lindsay38 View post
    I'm deciding between NYU, Hunter and the University at Buffalo (Buffalo is my hometown). Same issues as everyone I think...I got some money from NYU but it's still much much more than Hunter. UB gave me full tuition and the program really appeals to me but I live in New York now and I don't know if I want to leave! I'm seriously evenly split between the three schools and I change my mind every hour. I think my friends are sick of hearing about it. Not that I take pleasure in others' stress but this board comforts me...it's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't decide!
    Yeah, I don't think anyone else wants to hear anything more about this decision! It's so difficult, every school has it's positives.

I'm in Buffalo right now and I got my undergrad at UB. So I didn't even apply there because I really wanted to move down to NYC.

Carmona: I'm also looking at Pratt because of their environmental concentration. It seems that Hunter has a bit of it and a few of the faculty members have degrees in that area. Are you doing any work in that area right now there?

My mom's suggesting that I go to Pratt and go for it, but what if I want to get a law degree in a five years?

Oh decisions, at least I can decline NYU which has the earliest date.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by carmona View post
    columbia did offer me 12k/year but i think it is all need based and after the open house i think there is very little negotiating involved. I'm hoping maybe in the second year its more flexible (anyone know about that at Columbia?)

Indeed, very little room for negotiating after open house but I asked around and Columbia offers better funding during the second year via scholarships (they match your 1st year funding and if you show need, will consider increasing it) and TAships. I just have the impression they bring home the bacon with 1st year fees and then show you love the second year. So it boils down to whether you think the program is strong enough for your concentration, and if it is worth racking up the debt.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    So, I JUST got a package notifying me of admission at USC!!! I'm guessing I was probably waitlisted before/somebody recently declined.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    I met yesterday with Prof. Campanella (who is up at Harvard this semester) and he really turned me on to the program and to the prospect of working with him. I am also somewhat interested in the prospect of doing a dual degree with the LA program at NCSU. Combine these factors with my visit earlier in the week, the wonderful weather and the tradition, I am 95% ready to declare myself a tar heel.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I finally made a decision - UNC it is.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Doh!

Just kidding! See you next year!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tasha View post
    I finally made a decision - UNC it is.
    You and bookworm both disappoint me.
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2008
    HI Everyone.

I am deciding between The Bloustein School at Rutgers and The GSAPP at Columbia .. for Planning with a specialization in International Development.

There are so many pros and cons to both schools I can barely handle it.

Can any one offer advice or have extra info about the reputations of both schools/programs??

PS.. I have to decide by tomorrow!!!

Help!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I made the decision last week but might as well put a nice cyburbian stamp on it..I will be attending the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in the dual MRP/MPA degree program...sorry USC and Berkeley, great programs but not for me

See you in the Fall Tasha and Bookworm!!!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Still trying to decide whether or not USC is worth the debt...but I absolutely LOVE their program.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Oh .. also just got into the Bartlett at UCL in London (a few minutes ago). Anyone have thoughts on attending a planning program internationally?

Thanks!

Alison

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008

Harvard

I finally decided on the GSD. I dropped off my letter and tuition deposit this afternoon, so it's official. I'm excited to be sticking around here for another two years. Congratulations to everyone who has made their decision!

Alison,

What are the pros and cons of the schools you are considering? Will one cost less than the others? Does one fit your interests more than the others? Deciding is so stressful. Good luck - it sounds like you have great options!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Hi Seamus,

It is super stressful.

SO...

Rutgers + : Policy oriented, Cheap, Scholarship, Good program reputation, Value work experience and Civic Service, My mentor works there

Rutgers - : Not great location, Not a name brand University

Columbia + : Ivy status, Some recognition for International Development, In NYC

Columbia - : Emphasizes physical development over Policy, Very Expensive, Not sure that the planning program has a great reputation

Any one have thoughts on this matter?

Thanks!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Hmm,

Also was accepted at Hunter. Anyone have anything to say about their program?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Just from that list, I would say Rutgers. It has a good reputation, from what I've heard. Save on tuition so that you'll be able to live in the city or somewhere abroad once you graduate. But I know that decisions are about more than just a few factors. My pros and cons list was really long and it didn't cover everything.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Ecumen,

From my homework (and I took quite a while talking to people and analyzing things), Columbia has a better international development planning program than Rutgers does. As a disclaimer, I've committed to Columbia . Did you go to their open house? Their international studios seem great. Plus there is the CSUD, Earth Institute, SIPA and other great resources to draw from.

Now, Columbia has weaknesses in other concentrations but ID is not one of them. As for whether it's worth the extra cost or not, that's another story. That really depends on your financial situation and how much you like the program.

Feel free to drop me an IM if you have any other questions re: Columbia.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    JeM08,

great to hear from you. i am having such a hard time!

i didnīt make it to the open house as i am in lima at the moment, but would have loved to have gone.

where were you deciding between? what do you think the weaknesses are at columbia?

your feedback is very useful. do you gchat?

alison

Ecu - from your comments it seems like Rutgers is your place. The Columbia ID program seems strong with the studio but i remember from the open house that there was only one studio and a lottery to get in because of the demand.

I am taking classes at Hunter now and i must say that the faculty i've met have been great and seem to put effort into working with the students. I think the program might have some "momentum" right now too as they sponsored a Berlin trip last year and i hear they are looking to initiate some sort of class over there.

Send me a message if you want to knock heads about the merits of Columbia

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Actually I was told by 2 faculty members and 1 student that Columbia offers at least 1 international studio, and that in recent years there have been 2.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Sure Alison, check you PM box.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    WOw there is a lottery for the ID studio! That isnīt good.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    I've decided to attend Penn, so I'll be in Philly in the fall!

Registered
    Feb 2008

Woody Woos?

Hi Planners!

Congrats on all the decisions! What a long application process that is finally winding down for most of us.

We didn't really discuss this on the forums since it's not an MUP program exactly, but has anyone else decided to go to the Woodrow Wilson School's MPA-UPP program? It would be fun to get in touch with other planning people starting in the fall.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Headed to Berkeley. Anyone else?

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. MIT decisions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 10:17 PM
  2. Replies: 15