Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Canadian programs: who's been accepted and who's going?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    74

    Canadian programs: who's been accepted and who's going?

    Thought I'd start another thread for Canadian planning programs. What are the schools you were accepted to? Which ones do you plan on going to?

    I just received an offer from U Toronto with no words on funding (coming soon). I highly doubt I'll end up there next year, but I'm going to the open house and report back for those of you who can't make it.

  2. #2
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    26
    I've been accepted with two fellowships and a possible assisantship at the Urban Studies program at Simon Fraser in Vancouver (does anyone have input about this school?!!?)

    And I've also been waitlisted for an MA in Geography at UBC. Seeing as I haven't heard from any other programs yet and I'm assuming they're rejections, SFU is looking fairly promising at this point.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westcoast
    Posts
    97
    Ive applied to UBC, UoT, McGill, and Dalhousie. Have yet to hear from any of them yet. I'm sure all of you already know my stats and are comparing yourself to me in order to gauge your position; i do it. Anyways, I hope those canadian schools start sending out some responses soon!

    duguyy33, i know a couple people who are in the Urban Studies program; the program from my pov is that it is generally there for people who dont have a focus in any particular area and just want a general feel for planning. I must remind you that the program is not CIP approved. Then again, if I were the in the same position as you I would go to the school that accepted me regardless of where it is on my roster. Don't count out other schools yet, from my vast research on former grad schools, expect to hear back from canadian schools anywhere from now until july. yes, july.

  4. #4
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    98
    I applied to McGill, and haven't heard back from them.

    Had a big scare where, as of around Feb 15th, they claimed they hadn't received ANY of my materials; about a week later, they'd miraculously received everything. Don't know if it was a mix-up on their part, or customs issue. Hopefully it doesn't affect my funding eligibility.

    On Feb 25 I got the following correspondence: "The Admissions Committee will be meeting next month, so you should be receiving an answer by mid-April."

    Hope it's before April 15th!

  5. #5
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    I applied to McGill, and haven't heard back from them.

    Had a big scare where, as of around Feb 15th, they claimed they hadn't received ANY of my materials; about a week later, they'd miraculously received everything. Don't know if it was a mix-up on their part, or customs issue. Hopefully it doesn't affect my funding eligibility.

    On Feb 25 I got the following correspondence: "The Admissions Committee will be meeting next month, so you should be receiving an answer by mid-April."

    Hope it's before April 15th!
    This seems pretty typical. The entire experience with McGill was extremely off-putting: nobody answers any emails, and when I called up the staff they sounded like I owed them something.

    Are you applying for MUP or urban design? Both seem very competitive.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    I applied to McGill, and haven't heard back from them.

    Had a big scare where, as of around Feb 15th, they claimed they hadn't received ANY of my materials; about a week later, they'd miraculously received everything. Don't know if it was a mix-up on their part, or customs issue. Hopefully it doesn't affect my funding eligibility.

    On Feb 25 I got the following correspondence: "The Admissions Committee will be meeting next month, so you should be receiving an answer by mid-April."

    Hope it's before April 15th!
    I too applied to McGill, but I didn't hear anything back from them saying when I should be getting answers. Hope they haven't lost my application...

  7. #7
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally posted by loladay View post
    I too applied to McGill, but I didn't hear anything back from them saying when I should be getting answers. Hope they haven't lost my application...
    Well, I inquired when I saw they hadn't received everything [anything] I had sent. So the e-mail they sent me also said that they had indeed received all my application materials along with the information about when a decision would be made.

    I just feel happy that other people haven't already heard back and they're just waiting to send a rejection letter my way :P

  8. #8
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    123
    I only applied to UBC, and haven't heard a word. At this point it is academic ( sorry) as my gf will be moving with me and she won't have a Canadian work permit. I still do want to know though!

  9. #9
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by manzell View post
    Well, I inquired when I saw they hadn't received everything [anything] I had sent. So the e-mail they sent me also said that they had indeed received all my application materials along with the information about when a decision would be made.

    I just feel happy that other people haven't already heard back and they're just waiting to send a rejection letter my way :P
    lol Yeah it's a great feeling knowing that others are also still waiting. Hopefully we'll be some of the ones to find out early on, because this waiting game is slowly driving me crazy!

    Did you apply for the urban design concentration?

  10. #10
    I'm heading to Grad school in planning next year as well. I applied to UBC, McGill, Toronto, Dalhousie, and Queens.

    I was accepted to UBC, Dalhousie, and Queens, and rejected from Toronto.

    Still waiting for McGill, I apllied there last year and waited until May 11th to receive a rejection notice, but it's still my number 1 choice.

    Good luck to everyone!

  11. #11
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally posted by Newfoundland2000 View post
    I'm heading to Grad school in planning next year as well. I applied to UBC, McGill, Toronto, Dalhousie, and Queens.

    I was accepted to UBC, Dalhousie, and Queens, and rejected from Toronto.

    Still waiting for McGill, I apllied there last year and waited until May 11th to receive a rejection notice, but it's still my number 1 choice.

    Good luck to everyone!
    Congratulations!
    What program at UBC did you apply to? When and how did you hear?

    Thanks

  12. #12
    Hey dnrose,

    I applied to the M.A. Planning at SCARP. They emailed me the notice on Feb 23rd and I got a letter from them March 1st.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Saint John, British Columbia
    Posts
    44
    I was accepted to Queen's last month. I haven't heard from any other schools, but not too interested as Queen's was my top choice.

    Actually, Calgary was initially my top choice but I terminated my application after they decided it would be fun to re-design their entire program and then inform applicants AFTER the February application deadline had passed. "Oh by the way, we've changed everything and we are extending the deadline an extra several weeks for you to consider"

    Yup...I'm really going to be able to fully consider and tweak my application while travelling in South East Asia. Knobs.

    No worries though

    I honestly never expected to get into Queen's given that I've been out of the country for four years in an non-planning related profession. My undergrad GPA met the requirements, but it wasn't something I was bragging about.

    It was a really, really nice surprise! Happy would be an understatement Ear to Ear baby!

  14. #14
    Cyburbian RubberStamp Man's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wherever mediocore planning lurks
    Posts
    99
    DUguy333 - when I was at SFU the urban studies centre was in downtown Vancouver and not at the main campus at burnaby mountain but that was many years ago and don't know if they have changed locations since.

    As another has noted UrbStd is not a CIP recognized program but if you are going see if you can get credit for taking courses in their urban design program.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    30
    So has anyone heard from McGill as to when decisions might be made, at least a first round? If I知 accepted I definitely want to visit Montreal, but April 15 is fast approaching (or I知 just incredibly, incredibly anxious).

  16. #16
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by riotproofcity View post
    So has anyone heard from McGill as to when decisions might be made, at least a first round? If I知 accepted I definitely want to visit Montreal, but April 15 is fast approaching (or I知 just incredibly, incredibly anxious).
    According to a message they sent to manzell McGill is starting to let people know by mid-April. I definitely want to visit too so I'm hoping I hear soon!

  17. #17
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally posted by tingbudong View post
    I was accepted to Queen's last month. I haven't heard from any other schools, but not too interested as Queen's was my top choice.

    Actually, Calgary was initially my top choice but I terminated my application after they decided it would be fun to re-design their entire program and then inform applicants AFTER the February application deadline had passed. "Oh by the way, we've changed everything and we are extending the deadline an extra several weeks for you to consider"

    Yup...I'm really going to be able to fully consider and tweak my application while travelling in South East Asia. Knobs.

    No worries though

    I honestly never expected to get into Queen's given that I've been out of the country for four years in an non-planning related profession. My undergrad GPA met the requirements, but it wasn't something I was bragging about.

    It was a really, really nice surprise! Happy would be an understatement Ear to Ear baby!
    Congrats for being accepted to Queens!

    How did Calgary re-design its program? I was very close to applying there because I thought their program was perfect, but I just couldn't see myself living there

  18. #18
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Saint John, British Columbia
    Posts
    44
    Thanks

    Apparently it is not certified by the Canadian Institute of Planners...that is according to the email I received after I had submitted my application. The planning stream also seems to have been marginalized considerably. There is probably someone lurking around here who is a better source than me, but this is what I was told in correspondence.

    I had already been accepted to Queen's by this point. Queen's had treated me exceptionally throughout the whole process...Calgary not so well and having to 're-decide' regarding their whole program did not sit well with me.

    I'm a bit different than you though as I really wanted to live in Calgary (I'm a western boy).

  19. #19
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westcoast
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally posted by loladay View post
    According to a message they sent to manzell McGill is starting to let people know by mid-April. I definitely want to visit too so I'm hoping I hear soon!
    I received a similiar message; im looking forward to hearing back from them.

  20. #20
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    30
    Just called McGill and received the standard two to three weeks response, and a long explanation as to how waitlists work and that some applicants may not be notified until the summer. Pretty frustrating considering we値l receive a response a day or two before April 15 and if I知 accepted I probably won稚 have an opportunity to visit before I have to make a final decision. Also, I may have read this on Cyburbia before, but there are only 20 open spots this year....

  21. #21
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    26
    I've just accepted my offer to Simon Fraser's Urban Studies program with a generous fellowship and a prospective research assistantship...Canada, here I come!!!

  22. #22
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Saint John, British Columbia
    Posts
    44
    Just called McGill and received the standard two to three weeks response
    I was just accepted to McGill's program today (already chose Queens' though) so the process is underway for those still waiting.

  23. #23
    Member
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    10

    UBC

    What is the holdup with UBC? Has anyone else heard from them?

  24. #24
    Quote Originally posted by tingbudong View post
    I was just accepted to McGill's program today (already chose Queens' though) so the process is underway for those still waiting.
    Wow! Congrats on McGill - has anyone else heard from McGill? I was also told to wait until Mid-April.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fort Saint John, British Columbia
    Posts
    44
    Wow! Congrats on McGill - has anyone else heard from McGill? I was also told to wait until Mid-April
    Thanks. I declined so someone else has definetly heard!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Canadian MUP/MUD programs
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Sep 2011, 4:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Oct 2010, 1:11 AM
  3. I have been accepted
    Student Commons
    Replies: 392
    Last post: 19 Feb 2010, 2:47 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Apr 2009, 10:32 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Mar 2009, 1:22 PM