Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Correcting map errors on GPS/Mapquest/Google Maps, etc.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Correcting map errors on GPS/Mapquest/Google Maps, etc.

Does anyone know how to correct map errors on GPS and online mapping websites? A cul-de-sac with about 18 homes doesn't show up on Mapquest, Google Maps and some GPS systems.

I went through the channels listed on the various websites to make the error known and now the street shows up on Google Earth, but I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree and residents have been on a trustee to address the situation.

Based on my understanding, the websites hire data harvesters to gather updates and I am guessing that the base data comes from counties?

Thanks!
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Tell them to go suck it and contact the private company on their own and stop wasting staff's precious time.

This is a classic example of elected officals not knowing their place.

The cul-de-sac is on your (the muni's) maps and GIS, right? That's all that matters.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    A cul-de-sac with about 18 homes doesn't show up on Mapquest, Google Maps and some GPS systems.

I went through the channels listed on the various websites to make the error known and now the street shows up on Google Earth, but I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree and residents have been on a trustee to address the situation.

Thanks!
    What is the problem? The street appears on Google Earth but not the other websites? Most programs now include the aerial photo, so the street would appear anyway.

If they don't want to be seen by aerial imagery, they should follow Syria's practice of removing all signs of any development with the nuclear reactor

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US257%26sa%3DN

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it is new you should expect there to be a lag of 2-3 years (or more) before it is picked up by the companies. I really have to agree with Mendelman, though. This is no concern of government. Whether or not a private company has accurate mapping is the responsibility of that company.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2002

Off-topic

Google insists on changing the name of my street, which annoys the $#(* out of me. Everytime I use Google Maps to get directions, I have to type in the wrong address for my starting point.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Exploring Google Maps
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 198
    Last post: 22 Aug 2014, 2:54 PM
  2. Bicycling directions on Google maps!
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 4:08 PM
  3. Blurred areas in Google Maps
    Friday Afternoon Club