Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Easter Plans, 2008 (& Easter Memories)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Easter Plans, 2008 (& Easter Memories)

Easter is very early this year. So early, in fact, that the news media has babbled endlessly about how early it is. With Easter just around the corner, I ask what is in store for other Cyburbians on the holiday weekend?

Bear's Past.....Believe it or not, this Bear was on the Board of Directors of an alternative church, back in the early 1970s. It was tradition in this church to have a big Easter breakfast at Oak Openings Metropark. All I really remember is that it was cold, I was hung over, and my wife was with another man at the breakfast (because we had recently separated, but still both went to this church, at least for awhile).

Easter Eggs.....When my first grand-daughter was quite young (and Katie's son was just a few years older than my GD) we would hide Easter eggs in the big yard, at our very rural Henry County homestead. I remember Anjelica crying because Michael was finding all of the hidden eggs. We had to help her find some and we told Michael to hold off on finding them all. Aren't children wonderful?
    _____

I am taking a day off on Friday. Not because of the holiday, because I scheduled it long before I knew it was Good Friday. Our original plans were to drive to suburban Detroit and visit the Ikea Store. However, the computer at Katie's work crashed and she is now hopelessly behind schedule, so she will be working.

I ain't goin' no Ikea w'out her.....

Saturday and Sunday, no big plans. (Maybe Ikea.)

Sunday dinner will be Honeybaked Ham (a Toledo company, remember that when you grab that first slice ), my famous scalloped potatoes (use redskins for best results), Polish Kielbasa, and a sweet treat to be determined.

One of the days I will probably watch "The Ten Commandments" and I will probably listen to "Jesus Christ Superstar". I am not religious but I dig both.
    _____

What's on your Easter agenda?

Bear Walking On Water
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Based on the current weather forecast, the J-Man will see his shadow when he arises from his sleep in the cave this Sunday...oops, mixing events again, aren't I?

I'm golfing Sunday.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I'll be enjoying the resurrection of my love life, thanks to plentyoffish.com. New friend to arrive in time for the Friday contra dance (his first), and he'll get to see the local burlesque show on Saturday.

Might go to sis's place for dinner on Sunday.

Bear, check to make sure Ikea is open; my Jo-ann's fabrics flyer says that they will be closed Sunday.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    We still boil and color eggs. The boys still want to do an Easter Egg hunt....even though they are too old for the Easter Bunny. They think it is great competition to see who finds the most eggs. Then I have egg salad sandwiches for all of next week...mmmmmmmm
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Friday night I am trucking my ass to Denver to stay with my folks. On Saturday I will begin helping my dad's landscaping business establish itself for the season.
    Saturday night I will be heading back home and Sunday the wife and I will be cooking a ham, buttermilk mashed potatoes and other goodies. I may have to get a cake from Schmidt's as well.
    I have a special glaze recipe for the ham that will give me an excuse to buy some bourbon (Not that I ever need an excuse...)
    I'll chill some wine and we'll have a good dinner.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    15 people for dinner, including my family of 5 - ham, lamb, mashed russet potatoes with celery root, roasted sweet potatoes, artichokes (someone is bringing this), salad (someone is bringing this) and red velvet cake for dessert (someone is bringing this)- have not decided on the wine yet

the key is to delegate - people want to do it so why not accept the help

hide out in the woods plastic eggs with treats inside for afternoon frivolity - baskets are hidden for the kids to find in the morning - color eggs for decoration (and egg salad sandwiches on Monday) on Saturday

Church - I think I have to be a lector for the vigil but we will also go on Sunday morning - living in Maine and the fact we are getting snow today made me not purchase summery Easter outfits for the kiddies or myself (it's funny how the big chain stores showcase and carry Easter dresses up here that are sleeveless - the whole country must live in the south because even in April, we are not close to sleeveless...)

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Saturday Family Easter Egg Hunt is postponed due to cold, mud, ice, slush, and general crappiness.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    my parents are going to Boston to celebrate Easter with my sister, BIL, and nephew.

the BF and I are staying home with the pets. probably won't do anything out of the ordinary. though the Easter Bunny did drop off a few things before heading to Boston.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Absolutely nothing special. Easter is not a big deal for me. When I was child (raised in a Congregationalist Church), we used to ride our horses to Easter Sunrise service that was held in a local park. I always enjoyed that service.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    This year, I will be going over to my Grandma's for Easter with my mom's side of the family. We will be having a ham lunch.

In my childhood, I remember egg coloring the night before, my mom hiding me and my brothers' Easter baskets in the morning and making us find them, and usually going over to both Grandmas' houses later in the day, where we would have Easter egg hunts with our cousins. Sometimes we would go out for brunch as well. We used to go to church back in the early days, but our attendance gradually declined over the years.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    As a kid, we had to go to church, then got Easter baskets when we got home. Mom always had a leg of lamb on Easter which was overkill since she always made one for my brother's birthday on March 15. I'm not a fan of leg of lamb.

I did a basket for my son until he was maybe 10. Mom quit the lamb deal on Easter and for years we all went to her country club to eat.

This year, I'm hoping to crash by the pool with a good book and a margarita. After I sleep in and read the Sunday paper in bed. Oh, and it'll be RJ's day to cook.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Eat Chinese food, and work on the house.

Wait ... that's the Christmas plan.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    I'll be enjoying the resurrection of my love life, thanks to plentyoffish.com. New friend ...
    Update: he's getting an Easter basket.
    We were both born in 1956, the Year of the Monkey, so I picked up a beanie baby (Salvation Army, 99 cents). And he's getting a copy of my new braces-off big smile in a teensy photo frame (same retail provider, same price). And a chocolate Easter egg. And a postcard of GR.

(Crazy kids in the panhandle: he enjoyed hearing my interpretation of your story.)

He's not a planner, but has a strong interest in it; used the phrase "residential buffer zone" in a casual conversation.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Work in yard, easter egg hunt (sort of) and Bar B Q.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc View post
    Absolutely nothing special.
    Same here. Same old song - single guy home alone, blah blah blah.
    Aybody really know how to do IRS 1040 line 13 and Schedule D ?
    Am I too cheap and stupid to be doing it by hand ?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I'm going over to my girlfriend's sister's house for Easter Supper, which happens to be at 2:00 PM.

That's right. This Jewish guy is going to the western suburbs of Cleveland to eat an Easter dinner that includes ham. If Jews believed in Hell, I would so be going there.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    My rituals for Easter are: sleep in, stay at home doing what I've been meaning to do on Good Friday and Easter Sunday because hardly any stores are open, and, of course, eat a Cadbury's creme egg.

When I was younger, I use to get a chocolate bunny and jelly beans. I would first tackle eating jelly beans and then forget that I'd have a stash of them in a few days. Weeks later I would find that the jelly beans have melted or become runny. And, months later, I would find the chocolate bunny still in its entirety in the fridge. The same happened with Hallowe'en snacks. Having more sweets than normal (even though what I had was less than typical) would always remind me of how sensitive I was (and still am) to sweet because I would get acnes!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Easter is not my favorite time of year. It is associated with some very bad memories.

So I generally try to lay low and hope a meteor doesn't strike. Or something like that.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We did everything from scratch and snacked on the food while we cooked.
    We cooked for a couple hours and then ate for about 20 minutes. We are both very full right now.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    good food, good people - cold but clear outside so the kids spent a lot of the day outdoors - nice for us grownup types...

it was a hard morning because I remembered that Easter was the holiday that my parents came to visit us over the last decade or so - luckily having 15 people for dinner didn't allow for too much sulking

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Mostly crappy. Snow on the ground. Brunch was ugly at times; I have an Aunt that loves to lay the guilt down.

Highlight actually was Mass and having our daughter home for three consecutive nights - - longest in two years.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Easter this year was very different. Since we had Friday off, we drove down to the coast with another couple Thursday night. Went fishing Friday, caught some black sea bass and cooked those Friday night. Saturday we did some drivng along the coastline (very windy) and caught up with some friends who live down ther. They bought a 42' sailboat and are gettting it fixed up for the summer. They came over that night and we had porkchops. Sunday we puttered around (after waking up late, because we went to bed around 3:00 am) and then drove back home, unpacked the car and ate pizza.

Can't say I've ever had an Easter like this one...but it still was a very good one. There was an Easter Basket for Wee P when we got home.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Dan - your post made me laugh. my family (jewish) bakes a ham, dyes eggs and gives baskets to the kids, every year!! We are a strange one indeed!! So, Ill be heading to hell with ya!!

This year, however, my parents left for Vegas Sunday mornin so the boys and I were forced to fend for ourselves!!! I invited the boys daddy over, along with two of my other friends and we had an italitan dinner - lasagna, salad bread...it was nice. My brother stopped by and we all just chilled most of the day; watched tv, played with the dogs and thats about it.....

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Easter was a lot of fun....I did Easter eggs with the boys. I invited a 'friend' over for dinner the night before and then we did eggs. My friend is a woman who makes a living as an artist (I think her work is phenomenal) and I have posted some eggs we were painting...and what was cool is she got my boys into painting the dyed eggs also (some pic shown). It was surprising fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m1.jpg   m2.jpg  

m3.jpg   m4.jpg  

What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Easter everyone!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Mar 2016, 6:02 AM
  2. Easter Candy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15