Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The NEVERENDING TV thread

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

The NEVERENDING TV thread

I started watching this show “New Amsterdam” on Fox (online). The show is kind of cool because it talks about the history of NYC, by someone who has been there. The main character is a former Dutch soldier who won’t age until he finds true love. Now he is a NYC cop.

The flash backs to other times and the first hand accounts of the time period are very cool.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Nov 2002

I should watch

One of my ancestors was an original Dutch settler of Manhattan.

So why aren't I now landed gentry?
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

John Adams

The HBO mini-series, JOHN ADAMS, is good stuff. In addition to giving us a solid look at John Adams and his involvement in the establishment of the new country, the program (very grossly) enlightens the viewer on such fun topics (in living color) as tar and feathering a naked British tax man and using a saw to cut off a man's leg.
    _____

I don't watch any regular network programs. Boring.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    One of my ancestors was an original Dutch settler of Manhattan.
    Mine too. Your's wasn't a Schermerhorn (or some variant of that) was it?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The HBO mini-series, JOHN ADAMS, is good stuff. In addition to giving us a solid look at John Adams and his involvement in the establishment of the new country, the program (very grossly) enlightens the viewer on such fun topics (in living color) as tar and feathering a naked British tax man and using a saw to cut off a man's leg.
    _____

I don't watch any regular network programs. Boring.

Bear
    I just started watching this, good stuff. I am also enamored of HBO's ROME series, some seriously good TV there, if you ever wanted to know what life was like as a Roman noble, pleb or slave tune into it! It is gorgeously produced, the casting is spot on and villas and street life lavishly recreated. It only ran tor two seasons iirc, it's in my netflix queue now.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I started watching this show “New Amsterdam” on Fox (online). The show is kind of cool because it talks about the history of NYC, by someone who has been there. The main character is a former Dutch soldier who won’t age until he finds true love. Now he is a NYC cop.

The flash backs to other times and the first hand accounts of the time period are very cool.

I'm hooked on this show. The lead guy is a Danish actor playing a Dutch soldier in modern NYC. And, he's HOT! I'm bummed because I missed most of the episode that had Orlando Jones as a homeless vet with PTSD. My DVR got only 15 minutes of the show: the opening segment, then random pieces throughout the remainder. Strange.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I checked out this show online out of curiosity and it's really good. I'm into it. Let's hope they don't cancel it... the trash floats to the top in TV (which is one of many reasons why I cancelled cable).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 10:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club