Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Used AICP study guide and books

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Used AICP study guide and books

On the APA website, I noticed they are selling the 2005 study guide for the AICP exam. Because there are more than a few used copies floating around out there, I was wondering if anyone has a used copy that you might be willing to loan out or sell. If so, PM me.

Does anyone also know if a place (other than Amazon) where I can find used copies of Planning Books?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    When you come to town one Saturday for the Wings Game, go to John King. Several stories tall and only a short walk to the Joe. Best dammed used bookstore around. You will find planning books around Geography or Government depending upon what you are most interested in.

http://www.rarebooklink.com/cgi-bin/...oks/index.html
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    You do have a copy of the GREEN BOOK ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    You do have a copy of the GREEN BOOK ?
    Yes and no…

I have a copy, but Maister has it some place… (I think). If I can not find my copy, I know that my new employer has several copies. One of which may become my new best friend.

How much different is the study guide from APA and the Green Book?

Registered
    Aug 2007

Green Book?

What is the GREEN BOOK? I've heard several references to it but never actually known what the title is or who are the authors. Sorry if my non-planning background is showing.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CS Director View post
    What is the GREEN BOOK? I've heard several references to it but never actually known what the title is or who are the authors. Sorry if my non-planning background is showing.
    The title is The Practice of Local Government Planning, edited by Hoch, Dalton and So. There are three editions that have been printed, about once a decade.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Gover.../dp/0873261712

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I am going to bump this and ask again if anyone has any used AICP study guides that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I am going to bump this and ask again if anyone has any used AICP study guides that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price.
    I have a CD (not the official National APA one) that has a TON of stuff on it. If I can find it, I'll be glad to burn you a copy and mail it. You can PM me your info. Are you taking the exam in May?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Take the AICP course at planetizen instead, a much better resource.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I'll check if I have anything. I parted with a lot of my study materials quiate a while ago. I'll send you a PM if I find anything.

BTW - I did not have, borrow, or read the Green Book when prepping for the exam. I teamed up with a coworker, and we split the cost of the online test. Much better, in our opinion. The AICP CD was a waste.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I took the test last November and missed it by one stupid point. Well, I am going to try again this November (spring was a bit crazy this year), but I want to make sure that I am as prepared as possible.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    The AICP study guides aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I never used the green book either. I used a variety of sources such as APA chapters, a friend who took the Planetizen course, websites, etc. Every other place under the sun was more helpful than AICP.

PM me if you want more info.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LEED AP study guide
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Feb 2009, 5:02 PM
  2. AICP study materials??
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 11:01 AM