Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LEED study resources

Registered
    Dec 2001

LEED study resources

If you all dont mind, I'm going to start a thread related to all things LEED (study related).

Since this is a fairly new cert, there isnt a whole lot out there yet.

I hope my leg work (finding these sites) helps you.

www.intheleed.com

Great website developed by a recent test taker. Tips, study guides, flashcards, etc.

ARE Forum - Leed Subsection

Population consists of alot of future and recent test takers.

Like cyburbia, but for LEED'ers

Registered
    Dec 2001
    University of FL LEED Study Guide

Excellent.

Complete with study guides, outlines, and online flashcards.

Moderator note:
    jeff thanks for putting this together. I've stickied the thread so it will be easy to reference. The thread is still open and registered users may and should post in it. Thanks again and carry on.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I just took Southface's 1 day LEED review course. It was great and the price was right!!! The most important lesson I got was to study the Reference Manual, it contains everything you need to know to pass. I am memorizing credits and hoping to take the test within a month or so.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Jun 2003
    This looks really interesting - it might generate more traffic from OS users if LEED was understood to mean Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

Could a moderator change the thread title to make this self-explanatory?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Thank you oh mysterious, anonymous mod - see how this thread has taken off now that the acronym has been expanded............

....... another thread killed by REM. I'm going to plead self-defence.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Real Life LEED

A blog about LEED in practice. Example projects, how credits are applied to projects, etc.

Also contains summaries of what is going on in the USGBC (like the update to the reference manual).

PPI Reference Materials

I have the Practice Problems, and the Mock Exam (which is supposedly very close to the real thing (I havent looked at it yet, however, and in fact my wife hid it from me until the time I'm ready).

There is a publication LEEDPASS on there. DO NOT but this book. It is terrible!

There is a new publication LEED Prep which I hope to get this month. Knowing what I know about PPIs materials for the Fundamentals of Engineering and PE exams....this should be top notch.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    LEED Education.com

Study Guides, Flash Cards, and a Mock version 2.1 Exam.

The version 2.2 Mock Exam is due up sometime in July.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    If anyone is planning to take this in the near (very near) future....PM me. I have an idea that can help you save some money on reference material.

Registered
    May 2008
    Does anyone know of a consultant that will come in and do an in-house intense 2 day session for 6-8 employees?

Registered
    Jan 2007

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by fourthconchord View post
    Does anyone know of a consultant that will come in and do an in-house intense 2 day session for 6-8 employees?
    Where are you located?

Session on what? What are your objectives? For these employees to become LEED AP? Or are you working on a LEED Project?

This is something that can "usually" be handled by someone in your local USGBC Chapter.

The USGBC also offers Technical courses (at a larger scale) everywhere throughout the year.

The course I just enrolled in was $450.00 for a 1-day technical review of the new Construction Reference manual (geared towards test takers). I imagine a private on is going to be pricey.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    The southface course I went to was free. I am not sure if it was because the audience was public sector or not.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Green Exam Online Mock Exams

This is a sub$cription, but it has received alot of accolades. I'm going to buy a 60-day subscription probably soon. Again, if anyone is planning on testing soon, let me know. We can split the cost of this.

BANNED
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I am indian national, can i apply 4 LEED?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    there are no restrictions that I know of as far as citizenship goes. However, the tests are administered in the US, and LEED certification is not given to foreign construction projects.

Registered
    Dec 2001

Online Review Course

The LEED overview course is here: Course

There are several other green building courses on here as well.

FREE

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Passed today, here is my long-winded review of the exam, if you want to call it that. If you are familiar with the exam, you may be able to see where I am coming from. If you're not, this may not make a whole lot of sense.

OK, so I will preface this with the fact that I went into this test VERY confident.

I knew the reference guide inside and out, every credit, percent, exemplary performance threshold like the back of my hand. Over the past week I have been consistently scoring 100% in sections on the green exam prep tests.

This was alot harder than I expected. Which is why I think I was either a) a guineau pig for LEED 2009, of b) just a guineau pig for new 2.2 questions, or c) it's really just THAT hard. (choose 2 answers)

Answer: A, B, and C

I felt alot of the questions had no answer, or too many answers. At times I was actually pissed off at the test because I could tell you everything about the credit the question was testing, but I couldnt figure out WTF the question was trying to ask.

If I could send a review to USGBC, I'd have them get professionals from the perspective industry that a question relates, and make sure it makes sense. I had a few questions about stormwater, and because I do it every day, knew damn well that the question was not asked correctly, and/or the answers did not make sense.

All that being said, I scored a 181. Which seems to be the "about average" score I see posted around the various forums. But what is really odd, is my breakdown, and how low it is.

75% Knowledge of Credits
    Coordinate Team 67%
    Implement Process 93%
    Tech. Analysis for Credits 68%

The knowledge and tech analysis questions I have been getting 100% on the GEP tests. I know the ref guide inside and out, and these questions were just so poorly worded, or one word was thrown in to throw you off.

The majority of my test was on WE 2 and 3, SS 8 and EQ 8.1 and 8.2, EQ 4.1 - 4.4, and ALOT of materials. But really obscure materials questions.

I was not asked 1 single question regarding site selection, public transit, EA1, Green or on-site energy, or bicycles, and ASHRAE never came up.

This test was, for me anyway, the more obscure stuff in the reference guide.

If I knew what I know now, and had to do this again...I'd really get DEEP into the reference guide. Not just the credit, its intent, and what the reqs are to achieve that....but get into the strategies. And not the first option! The "other" options that are almost mentioned as an aside in the reference guide.

Hope this helps someone. I'm going to grab a beer!

Cheers,
    Mike

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I have a fundamental issue with the LEED exam. It appears to emphasize memorization over application. That system of testing knowledge I thought went out the window decades ago. Not to mention that the passing score is very high.

Construction trades exams are open book: there it is more important to know where to find applicable provisions than to memorize.

AICP is, well, a character in and of itself.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    This test was very application oriented. Every question was a construction scenario, and you needed to apply your knowledgee of LEED.

Next week I will assemble all that I used to pass.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    OK Jeff. I just took a cursory glance at a practice test.

Registered
    Dec 2001

LEED 2009

LEED 2009

if you are planning on taking the LEED AP soon, you need to make sure you get it in before LEED 2009 takes effect.

While it is all just rumor now, word on the street is that the 2009 test will be much harder, as it will attempt to merge all the existing LEED categories under one umbrella. Again, its all rumor at this point, but from the public comment items you can see the direction this is going.

Registered
    Dec 2001

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. PTP exam study resources
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 May 2014, 2:15 PM
  2. Study resources for RESNET
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 1