Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking for stable inner ring, mostly residential corridor case studies

Registered
    Sep 2006

Looking for stable inner ring, mostly residential corridor case studies

I am looking for some examples of redeveloped or improved residential corridors in inner ring suburbs. Most case studies I have found focus on a specific problem that is used as an opportunity, such as a blighted mall or shopping center.

This corridor is NOT highly distressed, the community actually has pretty high incomes, but no growth since it is built out. The homes along the corridor are older, small with small lots and losing some appeal in the modern market.

There is only a minor commercial and retail component along the corridor. None of it is blighted, just getting older. Occupancy and rents are probably average to above average for this type of inner-ring suburb. So there are no obvious redevelopment opportunities.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What do you want to understand from the case studies?

Are you looking for studies that try to bolster existing residential and also allow for commercial nodes?

Are you looking for feasiblity of redevelopment into higher density residential?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Matt:

You may want to check out the Michigan Suburbs Alliance. They are an advocacy group for Detroit's inner-ring suburbs. I know that they have a lot of information laying around their cramped offices but not sure how much of it is available online. The people there are very friendly though and I am sure that if you contacted them, they would be able to point you in the right direction.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Are you looking for studies that try to bolster existing residential and also allow for commercial nodes?

Are you looking for feasiblity of redevelopment into higher density residential?
    Yes, I think that gets to the main point of what I am looking for.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Jul 2010, 11:48 AM
  2. Case studies for commercial corridors?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 13 Jul 2009, 9:25 AM
  3. Corridor studies: know any good ones?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 18 Nov 2006, 1:07 AM
  4. Case Studies??
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Feb 2003, 8:03 AM
  5. Waterfront redesign case studies
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Jul 2000, 11:28 AM