Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need to find the right school

Registered
    Mar 2008

Need to find the right school

I just spent the last week visiting grad schools in N.C to continue my education in geography. After visiting App State, UNC-Greensboro and East Carolina I realized that I want to drop geography and go to grad school for environmental planning. I have been looking at schools in the N.C region, but I need help. I want to get a applied or professional degree in planning. I know a lot of schools say they have applied or professional degrees, but might have profs the like to focus on research and theory rather that actual problem solving. If anyone can point me to a school that provides a true applied professional degree in planning and not on theory and research methods I would appreciate it. I would prefer schools in the southeast but I am open to other regions.

Thanks

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I am pretty sure that PAB-accredited schools have to have one theory class, one policy class...however, I would look for programs that include studio classes if you want real world applicability. Also much of my own 'real world' experience in school comes from my assistantships, internships, studios and class projects. I know you dont want too much research and theory, but it is grad school and you are probably going to get some of it anywhere you go.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Quote Originally posted by rawlee1 View post
    I just spent the last week visiting grad schools in N.C to continue my education in geography. After visiting App State, UNC-Greensboro and East Carolina I realized that I want to drop geography and go to grad school for environmental planning. I have been looking at schools in the N.C region, but I need help. I want to get a applied or professional degree in planning. I know a lot of schools say they have applied or professional degrees, but might have profs the like to focus on research and theory rather that actual problem solving. If anyone can point me to a school that provides a true applied professional degree in planning and not on theory and research methods I would appreciate it. I would prefer schools in the southeast but I am open to other regions.

Thanks
    Moderator note:
    Hi, rawlee1 and welcome to Cyburbia. Our forum rules do not permit cross-posting threads. Your identical thread in the Envrionmental Design subforum has been removed. Thanks for your understanding and carry on.

Registered
    Mar 2008
    I realize that I will have to do research in grad school but I don't want it to dominate my education. But thanks for the repy, every bit of info helps!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Well I can only tell you about my school in the southeast, which is UF. We have had lots of projects and a studio, so I have work samples, also we have many assistantships and good funding here. For my assistship, I work on land development codes, for near-by cities and attend meetings. A couple of my friends here that are into environmental planning have taken some courses in Parks and Recreation program and the Environmental Engineering program along with what is offered in our program.

Best of luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    The U of Memphis offers a MCRP program in its School of Urban Affairs and Public Policy (SUAPP), which is heavy into engaged scholarship. Outside of the core theory and intro classes, every class I took included real-world planning projects. The U of M does not offer a concentration in environmental planning; however, you can take your electives in other departments, and many students opt for environmental classes in the geography, geology, and engineering departments.

Best wishes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 10:03 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 20 May 2011, 1:37 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 1:57 PM
  4. Help ID this find #2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14