Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ham salad anyone?

Registered
    Nov 2005

Ham salad anyone?

OK, I have too much ham to deal with leftover from Easter. Does anyone have any good recipies for these leftovers?
    Satellite City Enabler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    OK, I have too much ham to deal with leftover from Easter. Does anyone have any good recipies for these leftovers?
    I have no idea but I would also like to know..I3 times more food then i needed this year= Lots of Leftovers

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Sandwiche slices work. You can toast/grill it, too.

Slice it up in pieces, freeze it, then use it later for pizza toppings. Really small pieces can be added to salads.

Add pieces to soup for extra heartiness. I'd advise against adding it to chicken noodle, though!

Usually ham is too salty to give to dogs and cats. It's very tempting to get rid of extra that way, but it's very bad for the pet(s).
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Hopping john is an excellent use of leftover ham. Soak black-eyed peas for a few hours (about a pound or so). Cook black-eyed peas and a minced onion with the ham bone until the beans are tender. If you use a pressure cooker that shouldn't take more than a half hour. Add cubed ham to the mixture. Serve in a bowl over white rice. A dab of hot sauce to taste. Mmmm. Don't you know that's good!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Use it to make sandwiches
    Add it to split-pea soup
    Have it for breakfast in the morning with eggs and toast
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Ham fried rice is always good.

That's not what Hopping John is, is it?

Guess it isn't, huh?
    Last edited by Maister; 24 Mar 2008 at 2:44 PM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Got plenty myself. The boys weren't too fond of the spiral ham yesterday.

Chopped ham sandwich for lunch today....will likely be putting some with eggs tomorrow morning.....and by the end of the week, I'll be so sick of ham that I won't want to eat any for months.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have frozen baked spiral-sliced ham, divided up into several freezer ziplocks. Then I just thawed a bag when I needed some ham for sandwiches, whatever. It tasted just fine. And it beat eating nothing but leftovers for 3-4 days after the holiday.

On a related note, my son puts ketchup on his ham sandwiches. Gross.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Hopping john is an excellent use of leftover ham. Soak black-eyed peas for a few hours (about a pound or so). Cook black-eyed peas and a minced onion with the ham bone until the beans are tender. If you use a pressure cooker that shouldn't take more than a half hour. Add cubed ham to the mixture. Serve in a bowl over white rice. A dab of hot sauce to taste. Mmmm. Don't you know that's good!
    Dayaaam! I'm fixin' to drool on my desk just thinking about it. Gotta run out for some longnecks to wash it down, the hopping john that is, not the drool.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Slice it up in pieces, freeze it, then use it later for pizza toppings.
    You could make a Hawaiian pizza. How about split pea and ham soup?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Nothing beats bedding down at the end of a hard work day than a warm toasty pair of ham pagamas.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Salad days
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 20 Apr 2015, 8:25 AM
  2. Tuna Salad
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 14 Sep 2005, 10:29 AM
  3. Pat Buchanan has been Salad Dressed!
    Friday Afternoon Club