Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you cite stuff for papers?

Registered
    Sep 2007

How do you cite stuff for papers?

I'm working on my final project (similar to a thesis) and I need to know how to cite materials! I can't find links or help anywhere without any riggamarole. Help please!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    My planning program mandated that we use the style found in JAPA, which at present is the APA (American Psychological Association) style. Here's a link with some pointers: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by lamsalfl View post
    I'm working on my final project (similar to a thesis) and I need to know how to cite materials! I can't find links or help anywhere without any riggamarole. Help please!
    What types of items are you looking to cite?

American Pyschological Association is an okay choice, but I have not found any examples that cite planning documents. I have used Chicago Manual of Style and MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers for some direction. Unfotunately, there is no definitive book for citing planning documents. I usually include the following when citing:

1. Name of the Community
    2. Document Title (Zoning Ordinance, Comprehensive Plan, etc.)
    3. Ordinance Number
    4. Date of Adoption
    5. Preparers if outsourced (optional).

Registered
    Dec 2007

Citations

I would look up what theses and dissertations in your Uni require. Then do that.

Registered
    May 2005
    Talk to your department (or better yet, your committee members). Different schools have different requirements. Here (at UNM) they were much more flexible with projects than with theses as those had a university-wide format that had to be followed. In general, the planning program at UNM had us use the Chicago Style Manual for any questions like this.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Check with one of your profs, preferably the one supervising your project.

In general though if you are asking b/c you view your project as a professional piece and not an academic piece then you may have more than one style available. Many professional works still use footnotes rather than last name, year. But many professional works also cut and paste from other sources so they may be less inclined to site sources. You typically site sources for data rather than ideas though, which makes the footnotes more space efficient.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 10:36 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Jul 2006, 9:17 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 06 Apr 2005, 10:58 AM