Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: USC open house

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007

USC open house

Just seeing if anyone else is planning on attending the USC event later this week. I know some folk said they were in the other thread, but I am unsure who. I am flying in tomorrow, and flying back Saturday evening. Maybe see you there!

Bookworm

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I'll be there

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I would be there but I got my acceptance for UT before my acceptance for USC... so consequently I booked my flight before I found out the open houses were on the same day.... So right now I am in Austin... I will report how this event was on Saturday morning. Book... you better let me know how USC's is on Saturday as well. I will be at USC on Wednesday.

Good Luck All.
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    We'll let you know how it is, Zaphod. Anything in particular you want us to keep an eye out for?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bookworm View post
    We'll let you know how it is, Zaphod. Anything in particular you want us to keep an eye out for?
    Yes. Money opportunities for continuing students. TA's, RA's etc. I just got my financial aid info from the school online. Even with my deans merit scholarship I will still need 60g's in loans over 2 years... OMG. lol
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bookworm View post
    What's the word?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    Hey Zaphod,

I'm in the same boat as for the funding. It seems that not that many folk do TA ships, but RAships are easier to find. They come in two varieties, the highly competative "true RA" of which there are a dozen or so (out of a hundred and fifty students, remember). These pay for tuition, include a stipend, and health insurance. Seems these go first to PhD students, and then to second year, and a few might trickle down to the first years, but it is rare.

Then there are more normal RAships, in which you work directly for a prof on some of his or her funded research. These are easier to get, but still usually go to second years (because first years don't know enough yet) unless you have an appealing skill, like the former graphic designer who was a presenter. I guess these pay in the 20-25 dollar and hour range.

Then, there are internships, that they stress as a very large part of their program. Many of these are paid, and the students I talked to said that they recommend getting one the first year.

Outside of funding, they hammered us with the "trojan network" message, which I do buy. And that LA is a great place to work and that needs some planning. Finally, they stressed that it is a "practical" school as opposed to a more philosophical one, at which you may learn more theory and less job skills and internships.

So, I really liked it a lot, and since I haven't visited Rutgers or UNC yet, I can't say how it ranks. I am skeptical, however, that it will be 40,000 worth better.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    How many potential students were there? Did they mention anything about the kinds of positions that new grads take (not to mention starting salaries)? Did you run into any disgruntled students?

Thanks for the info.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2007
    I'd say there were about 100 folks there for the MPL, but that's a guess. I only ran into pretty enthusiastic folk, but who knows how representative that is, you know? That being said, several of us went to a bar with one of the student organizations, and there were a fair number of people, who seemed pretty happy to be there, so I got the feeling that most people are pretty enthusiastic. As for the positions, no, but I think it depends on how hard you look. I really did get the feeling that there are so many planning departments and organizations in the LA area that you can get more or less something that will interest you a lot of the time. As for pay, I did not get a good read on what would be offered - some seem to be paid, some not. Of course the economy plays into this as well - but not necessaraly negatively: as one person said, would they rather hire a consultant for 80 an hour or an intern and use one of their staffers for half that?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 8:40 PM
  2. Open house round-up
    Student Commons
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 08 Apr 2009, 11:57 PM
  3. UNC open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 1:10 PM