Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Negotiating your financial aid package

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Negotiating your financial aid package

Hey yall, I just had a couple questions about financial aid. I am speaking regarding Penn, I got an OK amount of aid from them ($5000 + a $3000 work study), but I was kinda hoping for a bit more considering their monster tuition. Does anyone have any advice regarding negotiating this (if that is even possible)?

Specifically regarding Penn, does anyone know how easy it is to get TA or RA positions? I've saved up a fair bit to pay for at least my first year, but it would be nice to limit how much in loans I have to take out.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Hey pazzo. A student at Penn told me that getting a TAship there is "easier than one might think". Talk to some of the professors and it may very well yield something (the guy I talked to was working with prof. Larice).

Apparently MCP students typically TA grad courses. Duties seem pretty light and included things such as (as far as I could see) manning the projector during lectures. Commensurately the pay isn't all that substantial--about $2000 a year from what I've heard.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by pazzo83 View post
    Hey yall, I just had a couple questions about financial aid. I am speaking regarding Penn, I got an OK amount of aid from them ($5000 + a $3000 work study), but I was kinda hoping for a bit more considering their monster tuition. Does anyone have any advice regarding negotiating this (if that is even possible)?

Specifically regarding Penn, does anyone know how easy it is to get TA or RA positions? I've saved up a fair bit to pay for at least my first year, but it would be nice to limit how much in loans I have to take out.
    My attempts at negotiating money have been worthless. I can't say that will be the same everywhere but at USC and Texas there was not any wiggle room to be had. C'est la vie.
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 11 Oct 2012, 7:45 PM
  2. Stimulus package and planning jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 4:26 PM
  3. Relocation package
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Jul 2008, 8:36 AM