Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can American planners find work in Canada?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005

Can American planners find work in Canada?

Hi all,
    I'm completing a Masters program in Urban Planning at New York University this May and I have worked part time at New York City Transit.

I am exploring the possibility of moving to Canada but I am absolutely unclear as to how hard(easy) it might be for a non-Canadian to work as a planner - preferrably for a city government or a tranposrtation authority.

Does anyone have experience or know of US Americans that have found work the field of transportation? I am interested in Calgary but am also open to other English speaking Canadian cities, particularly Vancouver and Toronto.

Thanks in advance!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    It's easy to obtain permission to work, search NAFTA TN Status. There are other venues to obtain permission, H1-B Visa, etc...

To find employment would probably be just as difficult as in the US. Check Canadian Institute of Planners website for job's; also CIP site will have links to regional planning org's in Canada. Send out CV's - good luck!

Q - why Canada?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2005
    Thanks Seymour.
    Why Canda...that's a good question. I'm in a relationship that might require moving to Canda. But...I used to live in Montreal when I was younger and I like Canada in general, so it would be a move that I would happy with.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've always thought about working in Canada (no direct connection, just an affinity for Snow Mexico...) The work permit seems fairly easy to get. The decent-paying job, not so much. Any thoughts about where to make a decent living in Toronto?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2008
    Masswich, "snow mexico" that's funny! haha!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 08 Aug 2013, 1:22 PM
  2. An American in Canada
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Jan 2013, 10:25 PM
  3. Masters in urban planning but can't find work
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 24 Feb 2012, 5:52 PM
  4. Studying in Europe to work in Canada / U.S.
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Jun 2010, 11:29 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 1:40 PM