Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyburbian Plus membership now available

Registered
    Jul 1998
    You must have not been reading the Cyburbia's future thread. We discussed the issue for quite some time. It was getting to the point that this place may have been closed or sold. Members who posted seemed to like this option. Like anything else, some folks will not be happy with any given decision. I am sorry you are one in this case. Keep in mind that this is Dan's creation, and if he goes so does Cyburbia.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Yes I do not have 9,000+ inane posts about nothing worth reading, but I believe when I do contribute to the non FAC threads it is helpful to other planners as well as the info in those threads is helpful to myself at times. I hope this site can remain free and open as it used to be and this isn't the beginning of the end.
    I don't know what your issue is with 2 people who probably make your "work experience" look like planning "kindergarten" but you sure are showing your a$$ here. Grow up.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Tide: What's been taken away? No felt pressure on my part to donate; if you don't want to donate, don't.

The forum is still free.

s/Public Sector Planner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yes I do not have 9,000+ inane posts about nothing worth reading, but I believe when I do contribute to the non FAC threads it is helpful to other planners as well as the info in those threads is helpful to myself at times. I hope this site can remain free and open as it used to be and this isn't the beginning of the end.
    1) Please don't snark on other users publicly. Thanks.

2) Just to reassure everyone again, Cyburbia will NOT be going to a pay-to-post model. The Cyburbian Plus membership allows users to gain some extra features, access to an extra forum, and the privilege to post personal photos (SFW, of course) to a private section of the Gallery. Free Cyburbian members lose only a couple of things: custom user titles, and inline image and file attachments (they can still use hotlink using the BBcode URL and IMG tags), though).

3) Why increased monetization? I don't want to sing a sad tale of "Oh poor Dan" here, but I'm approaching the point of burnout. I've been doing this for nearly 14 years for very little financial renumeration, and considering the Web 2.0 article in April's Planning Magazine, not much recognition by the larger planning community. When my girlfriend, friends and family ask "why do you spend so much time working on Cyburbia, when you aren't getting anything out of it?", I don't quite know how to answer.

As it is now, Cyburbia is increasingly a liability in my life. It's a second job, only one where I'm getting paid (considering work/maintenance on weekends and after 5:00 PM on weekdays) just a bit more than the minimum wage in Mexico. There's a ton of behind-the-scenes work that is quite time-consuming; most of which I have to do outside of normal work hours because it would conflict with my day job. (I limit my daytime work on Cyburbia to moderation and emergencies.)

As a planner, my salary is far below the national and state average for someone with my position and experience, and I have very little disposable income to spare, even with a Dave Ramsey-inspired budget. I need to upgrade software, add some extra features, and eventually upgrade an increasingly creaky server. There's going to be some other upgrades to the site that will future-proof it for a few more years, but that will involve a LOT of tedious, time-consuming manual work.

Nobody has made an offer to buy Cyburbia, and I feel an obligation to keep it running in perpetuity. I'm not hungry for attention, and I don't consider myself greedy when it comes to money. I'll be honest, though; my selflessness has been stretched to its limit. If I'm going to keep the site running, it would be nice to get something out of it.

If you don't want to pay for Cyburbian Plus membership, don't worry about it. The rules will be enforced equally, whether you paid for a membership or not. If you have a problem, I'll treat it in the same manner as with a Plus member. It's all good.

Now, time to get to some of these "I can't log in!" emails.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I don't know what your issue is with 2 people who probably make your "work experience" look like planning "kindergarten" but you sure are showing your a$$ here. Grow up.
    All I have to say to that is if you have so much work experience then why don't you ever (and by ever, since you'll point out the 1 in 100 posts that are I mean nearly every) post helpful criticism anywhere on this board? If you are the zoning goddess who makes me look like a kindergardener then prove it and help advance your field.

To Dan; I'm sorry you feel that Cyburbia is a second job and taking up so much life. I appreciate this site for the information I have received over the years. We all have our priorities and I hope you can come to a happy medium somewhere. I still may decide to donate some day but currently it isn't in my plans but thank you for the assurance that we still will all be created equally whether I have a C+ next to my name or not.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Just upgraded. w00t.

Glad to help things along, Dan.

Registered
    Nov 2001

Woo Hoo!!

I am prefered member...
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by prudence View post
    I am prefered member...
    Though, we'd prefer you keep that quiet.

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Dang, if Prudence just became a preferred member then I guess I gotta cough up the dough.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    "19 March 2008: Cyburbia has served the urban planning community since 1994 with very little funding or financial renumeration. Cyburbia receives no grants or honoraria, and advertising revenue is minuscule despite relatively high traffic."

Hey Dan, You might get more money if you ask for "remuneration" instead of "renumeration" although I'm sure the numbers look good too.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Dan, I'm in for $25. It's a deal! I'm sending a check via snailmail. It will be in the mail tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Hey Dan, You might get more money if you ask for "remuneration" instead of "renumeration" although I'm sure the numbers look good too.
    D'oh!, as Homer Simpson would say.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    So how many Plussers are there now? Perhaps a running tally on a main page? Our names in lights in the "online now" section?

(May I post my resume in the Peer Review area WHICH IS AVAILABLE ONLY TO PLUS MEMBERS?)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    So how many Plussers are there now? Perhaps a running tally on a main page?
    That would be interesting.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Our names in lights in the "online now" section?
    Not such a good idea, IMO.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Rather than post my own thread complaining about this move I'll just post here:

I don't believe in this tactic Dan and Mods. To take something away then charge for it, sounds very public sector to me (I should know).

I was a member of a forum who, several years ago, was falling on a tough time and solicited undisclosed donations. I realize this is $20, but to be honest if I was asked to donate, I may donate more than $20, but since I feel very forced into this now I am choosing, at this time, to donate nothing. All one received on this other forum was a small tag similar to the C+ you hand out now that said you donated. Well, in this case the C+ doesn't mean you donated but that you caved to the pressure.

I don't know why the choice was made, almost overnight, to go with this direction and not ask the multitude of regulars what their feelings were, it feels rushed and not thought through and I simply disagree in principal and foresee my participation waning more and more if this kind of business keeps up.

I have some reservations of my own about the "membership" approach to getting money from the members. But I have said for several years that Dan should accept the money his members have been trying to offer him. So from that perspective, I think this is a good thing. I don't know what a "perfect" solution would be but I think this solution beats the hell out of some of his previous thoughts on selling cyburbia, bringing in a "partner" and so on.

As for 9000+ inane posts: I have heard it said that my long-winded posts are about the equivalent of twice as many posts for anyone else. I think that means I have about 12000+ posts masquerading as as a mere 6000+. So if you want to knock someone, I think I make a better target. But maybe that's just my big, oversized ego talking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Not such a good idea, IMO.
    Names shouldn't display any differently in the "online now" section. If you're seeing. Plus members can still set yourself to invisible mode, and should not be able to see whether other users that have set "online now" display to invisible are online.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise
    So how many Plussers are there now? Perhaps a running tally on a main page? Our names in lights in the "online now" section?
    Plus members are listed at the forum leaders page. This display may or may not be permanent; it depends on how others feel about it.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    ...Plus members are listed at the forum leaders page. This display may or may not be permanent; it depends on how others feel about it.
    39 at this time.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I'm happy to come aboard. I know I've been MIA for awhile - but Cyburbia is just such an amazing resource, its absolutely worth the 7.5 cents per workday.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I paid 'cause I thought it was well worth it and I had the money. Don't think its worth it or don't have the money, don't pay.

Besides, a C+ is the best grade I've gotten in a while.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I paid 'cause I thought it was well worth it and I had the money. Don't think its worth it or don't have the money, don't pay.
    Amen! That pretty much sums it all up
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Feb 2005

This is a good deal

I think that a paltry $20 does not even come close to the value and utility that I get from this site. I know, I don't contribute much. However, I read it often, and I acknowledge that this site has been a valuable resource to me. I am pleased to be able to help keep it going. I paid by PayPal tonight. Thanks, Dan.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I received the newsletter today. So I thought I'd post a background image. No success. I have no idea how the background thingy works. But I'm not a computer nerd, so that figures.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I haven't done it myself, but I think it goes like this:

1) Upload an image to your album (http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/album.php - it's the integrated vBulletin album, not your Photopost album. Only Cyburbian Plus members have vBulletin albums.)

2) Customize profile: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/profile.php?do=customize

Why you can't customize vBulletin blogs like that, I don't know.

The newsletter: I've been reluctant to send one out for many years, but considering how many sites send weekly newsletters without any complaints from their userbane, I thought I'd give it a shot. Besides, it's a reminder to users that haven't been around for a while that, yes Virginia, Cyburbia exists.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In attempting to load a pic from the gallery into background, I get this message...

Main has invalid properties: Background image
    If you can do mine, no problem...anything in my gallery would work...except a wedding pic.

Of course, I have no idea where the background image will end up or what it will look like. No big deal.

Also, no problem in sending me periodic email messages. I receive so little email, it's nice to get something every now and again...even if it's from you.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Yippie yahoo! I got over my paypal anxiety!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. APA membership
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 02 Apr 2012, 1:08 PM
  2. ITE membership
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Nov 2011, 2:46 PM
  3. Replies: 23