Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UT-Austin open house

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007

UT-Austin open house

I wasn't able to make it this past Fri (I was at UNC's) & I'd like to hear how it was.

I have the usual questions: What's the deal with funding? Where do alumni usually end up? General feel of the students - passionate about what they do? What does UT feel are their strengths? Blah, blah blah.

Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tasha View post
    I wasn't able to make it this past Fri (I was at UNC's) & I'd like to hear how it was.

I have the usual questions: What's the deal with funding? Where do alumni usually end up? General feel of the students - passionate about what they do? What does UT feel are their strengths? Blah, blah blah.

Thanks!
    I went to the open house. All in all it was a very positive experience.

I will try and answer your questions one by one.

1) Funding - There really isn't any. (especially for the first semester) The picture gets brighter after that.

2) Students - the students were very positive about the program. They were pretty honest about the weaknesses of the program (lack of money, generally unorganized) but they looked past the flaws and really like it there.

3)Strengths - From what I gather you can get whatever you want out of the program as long as your willing to put in whatever you need to. They do seems to be doing quite a bit of international stuff right now with a project in China and an ongoing project in the Dominican Republic. (the one place where they seem to have money was for international travel however).

4) Alumni - The alumni do not seem to be concentrated in any one place. This was actually the biggest selling point of the program to me. They are very deliberate in not being too Texas centric in their curriculum.

Overall I have decided to go there based on the openness of their program and internship/job prospects in Austin. Actually one of the problems they are having lately is with students who find an internship and decide to not finish their degree because they love the job they are in already. In my mind, of all the problems that a program could have, this one is not so bad.

Feel free to ask any more questions.. and please excuse the lack of organization and grammar etc.. its late and I am really tired!
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Hey Zaphod-

I couldn稚 make it to Austin last weekend but I値l be paying UTSOA a visit next week, in addition to attending Columbia's open house. Would you mind me asking what you wore to the event, and whether the majority of guys were wearing business clothes (suit, dress shirt and tie, just a dress shirt) or if it was a mostly jeans and sneakers event? Of course I知 already accepted, but I want to make a good impression as I値l be sitting down one-on-one with Dr. Oden.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by riotproofcity View post
    Hey Zaphod-

I couldn稚 make it to Austin last weekend but I値l be paying UTSOA a visit next week, in addition to attending Columbia's open house. Would you mind me asking what you wore to the event, and whether the majority of guys were wearing business clothes (suit, dress shirt and tie, just a dress shirt) or if it was a mostly jeans and sneakers event? Of course I知 already accepted, but I want to make a good impression as I値l be sitting down one-on-one with Dr. Oden.
    It was casual. I would say go pants/ shorts and a non-stained shirt and you should be fine. Dr. Oden was really easy to talk to and just a good guy all around. Remember it is muggy in Austin so don't forget the antipersprent like I did.
    "He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot." Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 2010, 9:40 PM
  2. UNC open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 2:10 PM
  3. USC open house
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 30 Mar 2008, 8:53 PM