Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Measuring the need for multi-family housing

Registered
    Jul 1998

Measuring the need for multi-family housing

Oh throbbing brain, please answer my request.

I have been asked a question by an elected official. I am needing a method to measure the need for multi-family housing units.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2005
    One of the items on my regular (every couple of years) list is to update an apartment density study. In this, we look at the quality and quantity of rental apartment communities in the jurisdiction. With those numbers, we compare to that with national and regional data on tensure of housing units. This allows us to generate a quantitative analysis on how we compare with other areas. I know this is not a perfect scenario because it is not complete. It does not include rental of condominiums and single-family homes, but it is the best I can think of. I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want more information.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You might give HUD a call and see if they can advise you. Also, less scientific, but it can help to talk to local realtors about whether they think there's a need.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I guess I would just suggest that you look at census figures, and try to figure the vacancy rate of the apartments you do have. Isn't a vacancy rate of like 3% desirable (not sure where I read that).

As a prior apartment dweller in your fair city (lived behind the mall for about a year and I'm not "those people" ), it is my personal opinion that there are more than enough apartments there. What are there, like 3 complexes? But I always thought it seemed like a lot for a city that size. Especially since that one on Pennington seems so big. That is just my unprofessional opinion, though.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    I guess I would just suggest that you look at census figures, and try to figure the vacancy rate of the apartments you do have. Isn't a vacancy rate of like 3% desirable (not sure where I read that).

As a prior apartment dweller in your fair city (lived behind the mall for about a year and I'm not "those people" ), it is my personal opinion that there are more than enough apartments there. What are there, like 3 complexes? But I always thought it seemed like a lot for a city that size. Especially since that one on Pennington seems so big. That is just my unprofessional opinion, though.
    Glad you posted, it helps to hear an opinion from someone who knows the community.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Multi-family development
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 5:49 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Dec 2006, 2:57 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Jul 2001, 8:41 AM
  4. Replies: 0