Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: M.U.P. vs. M.S.

M.U.P. vs. M.S.

Does anyone have any insight on the differences between a MUP and a MS? Some schools only offer a masters in urban planning while some offer a masters of science - it seems to me that if someone had any thoughts of possibly becoming a professor or continuing research then they would need to have a M.S. and a thesis. MUP seems to be a professional degree just to give someone experience in the field. Any other insights or comments about this?

(Background: i'm deciding between Columbia (M.S.) and Hunter (M.U.P) and am wondering if Columbia is worth another $20k/year)

Registered
    Apr 2008
    HI Everyone.

I am deciding between The Bloustein School at Rutgers and The GSAPP at Columbia.

There are so many pros and cons to both schools I can barely handle it.

Can any one offer advice or have extra info about the reputations of both schools/programs??

PS.. I have to decide by tomorrow!!!

Help!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm.....

How nice to have options like that.....my cousin went to Columbia and I think really liked the school.....if you have a chance to go to Columbia....why not take it? There is nothing wrong at all with Rutgers....also very good....but Columbia might give you the networking edge and I've heard can provide a foot in the door of international planning........so it just depends on what you want.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2008
    hi the one..

thanks for responding.

i hear what you are saying about taking the opportunity to go to columbia, but i think that the planning program at the bloustein school is regarded more highly.

do you have a sense of how these programs are received in the planning community?

oh did i mention the 25,000 dollar difference?!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    carmona,

i wish i had an answer. i would love to know the same!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Ecumenopolis View post
    HI Everyone.

I am deciding between The Bloustein School at Rutgers and The GSAPP at Columbia.

There are so many pros and cons to both schools I can barely handle it.

Can any one offer advice or have extra info about the reputations of both schools/programs??

PS.. I have to decide by tomorrow!!!

Help!
    I don't know about Columbia, but Rutgers does not have an acceptance deadline.

Columbia deadline is fast approaching (tomorrow!).

Ecumenopolis - i feel your anxiety, it would be great to have a crystal ball right about now...

Registered
    Apr 2008
    i wish i had that!

i am seriously considering the bartlett at university college london as well.. it is in the top three in the uk and seems to be really cool for ID.

i am so confused.. yeah and columbia´s deadline IS tomorrow!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    To my knowledge the difference between an MUP and an MS (or MCRP, MCP, etc.) is just the way the university structures the degree and has very little to do with intended outcomes. Neither has an advantage in landing someone a job, and neither has an advantage for someone moving on to a research degree. I have what my school called an MUP, and we had a thesis requirement. I would certainly not feel like I would be at a disadvantage if I moved on to a PhD simply because I had an MUP instead of an M.S. in Planning.

Overall, Columbia, Rutgers and Hunter are all great schools. You'll both have to make up your minds when it comes to money, but I don't think going to any of those schools would put you at a disadvantage.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    In some US schools, there is a difference between a MUP/MCP and the MS. The MCP is the basic professional degree which allows for direct access into the profession, whereas the MS (or MDesStu or some other name) is the post-professional degree and is open only to practitioners with a certain number of years of experience looking to understand the latest updates in the planning world and upgrade their skills.

The MCP/MUP is typically 2 years, follows a fixed structure, while the MS is typically one year and follows a slightly more flexible structure.

You can observe this difference at MIT, where the basic is the MCP/MUP (2years) and the postprofessional is the MS (1year, flexible modules). Another is Harvard where the basic is the MCP/MUP (2years) while the postprofessional is the MDesignStudies (Urbanisation and Housing).

You just have to be sure that the school offers the planning degree you're after.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Ecumenopolis View post
    i wish i had that!

i am seriously considering the bartlett at university college london as well.. it is in the top three in the uk and seems to be really cool for ID.

i am so confused.. yeah and columbia´s deadline IS tomorrow!
    Ecumenopolis....which program are you talking about at the bartlett? I can help shed some light on that. I got my masters in Development and Planning at the DPU. Are you referring to the School of Planning or the Development Planning Unit?

Registered
    Apr 2008
    hi248,

I am talking about the DPU. If you could discuss the difference between the two and anything you know about the DPU that would be great!

Are the DPU Masters accredited?

Thanks!

What did you think about the program? How is it´s reputation? What was your Module?
    Last edited by Ecumenopolis; 15 Apr 2008 at 9:56 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I do agree that some US schools use the MS as a more specialized degree, but overall I would still characterize the MS as the same class (as in a basic professional planning degree) as an MUP, MCP, MRCP, MCRP, etc. It may be worth noting that the accredited programs at Arizona, Florida State, Iowa, Wisconsin and Texas are all "Master of Science" programs, and all two year degrees.

In the end, as noted above, one needs to look at what each individual program offers.

+ Reply to thread