Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Should I worry about the new person getting paid more than me?

Registered
    Aug 2004

Should I worry about the new person getting paid more than me?

I recently started this new position, as a generic Planner. I negotiated a starting salary at the upper end of the range. Basically it translates to a Planner 1 but we don't have Planner 1, 2, 3 etc just Planner, Senior Planner and Principal Planner.

I've been a Senior Planner and a Planner. I'm not as concerned about the title, but more about the pay range and upwards mobility. Our other Planner - a Planner 2 in other places - is retiring, They've advertised her position in the higher pay bracket than mine, but the job duties are the same - on paper. I report to a different person and have some other projects, but the description is the same.

Should I bring up my concerns to my surpervisor? They like me here, and I'm happy. I won't leave if this balloon doesn't float, but I'm wondering about the pay range, etc. Any suggestions?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Normally I wouldn't worry about the new guy getting paid more. My newer sanitarian gets paid more than my more senior one, but that's more because he negotiated a better salary when he was hired. Neither one has any real mobility in our organization and they are both aware of that. In your case it just sounds weird that the new job opening is at a higher pay scale than yours, but the same job description. Most likely they just decided to higher at a higher pay grade for some reason and it doesn't affect their view on you. Just make sure to stay working on projects that offer mobility so you don't get pigeon holed into something you don't want or you just didn't get the opportunity to work on key projects. When in doubt, talk to the boss.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I agree with dvd on this. Talk with your supervisor. You are not threatening anyone, just a bit concerned.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Ask for a raise to bridge the difference. The main cause of people not getting raises is people not asking for raises. It can't hurt.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Why not apply for the new position? Even if you don't get it you can raise the issue of how your position is the same as that one, assuming you get an interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'd just simply ask for a raise to match. If your HR department is worth a damn, they'd notice that differential as well and flag it with the other person's offer.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    All good suggestions.

I did broach the subject with my supervisor. He looked into it and we have resolution! I won't go into details, but I am happy with the chat.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    All good suggestions.

I did broach the subject with my supervisor. He looked into it and we have resolution! I won't go into details, but I am happy with the chat.
    Excellent! I was going to echo some of the other suggestions, but you're saved me the trouble.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Morning person or night person?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 18 Jul 2012, 9:31 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Mar 2005, 7:00 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 21 Jan 2005, 11:48 AM
  4. How much do you get paid?
    Friday Afternoon Club