Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Asking for more money

Registered
    Sep 2006

Asking for more money

I was recently offered an entry level position at a real estate consulting firm and am thinking about asking for a higher starting wage. Do any of you have any advice on the best way to go about doing this? I don't want to lose the job as it is definitely what I want to do. I just really wanted to start at about $5 to $10 k more.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Presumably you replied along the lines of, "let me think about it and get back to you."

When you do, ask for at least $5k more than your price, let them bargain you down.

HTH

[still kicking myself for accepting the opening offer 2 years and 6 months ago...and I'm still here]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Do you have any previous experience or any other competing offers? It might be more difficult, but not impossible, to negotiate a higher salary at an entry-level job unless you have some experience or know the person well enough. If they give you a higher salary, they might want more out of you (it's a two way street). If you still can't them to budge, ask them for a performance review 6-12 months from now. It will give you some time to prove your worth.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Also, if you know that what they are offering is typically below starting salarties for the job in your area you can use that to help you out, or if you have something else you think you can bring to the table that competitors might not, you can point that out as well. Its tough though when you are starting out and often we have all had to suck it up to gain the experience.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Do you have qualifications that warrant a higher salary? $5000 to $10000 seems like a pretty significant difference in pay expectations for an entry-level position. Either you or they may have judged the market incorrectly.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. $35.23 of 'mad money'
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 10 Feb 2012, 9:05 PM
  2. Money, Money, Money
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 25 Apr 2006, 9:05 PM
  3. Asking for more money...