Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Car pools

Registered
    Feb 2004

Car pools

I don’t currently belong to a car pool but a number of years back I rotated driving responsibilities with two other fellow employees for a while. One of them I got along with quite well and the other.... well, we didn’t have much in common. It was nice not having to fill up the gas tank every single week, not to mention there was a certain satisfaction knowing we were doing our small part to ‘save the world’. On the down side, one of the participants was a lawless speed demon and got pulled over several times when it was their turn to drive and we pulled into work late because of getting stopped.

Since we had about a 35-40 minute commute, conversation assumed an important role and it was sometimes a challenge keeping to topics that would allow us to tolerate each other’s company/presence. Sometimes it was better just to listen to the radio.

How about you – do you or have you ever belonged to a car pool?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I currently carpool with bobcatplanner from N Austin to East Williamson County. Unfortunately, there are no apartments in the city we work for and are forced to live 16 miles away (not bad, I know, but still... we're both straight out of college and make squat $$$). It's proven fun so far, I suppose. Sometimes there's points made that the other doesn't agree with (especially when listening to Rachel Maddow or Michael Savage), but music or the entertainment morning shows usually keep the peace pretty well.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I carpool with my husband most days. We (obviously) live together and both work downtown, so I drop him off on my way. We save money on gas and also on parking since downtown parking isn't cheap. My office has a parking lot.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Just a lonesome walk for me. But there are birds out now!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've carpooled in the past but it never worked well for very long. Somebody always had to work late or had family obligations or something. It's an admirable experiment but the jobs I worked generally called for irregular hours and it's had to find people who want to stay late just because you've got an emergency at the end of the day.

Question: If you carpool frequently and have to use, let's say the Windsor Tunnel, can you develop Carpool Tunnel Syndrome?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I am signed up on a city-wide list of people who want to carpool, and are looking for other riders/drivers. However, so far no one else is signed up for the same route that I'm on.

At my last job, there were three of us that lived close to each other. One couldn't carpool because of kid's morning practices, and the other had a random after work schedule that may it difficult. However, we did carpool when we could, maybe three days a month on average, and if one of us needed a ride, the others would help. When my car was in the shop, one of the others took me in, and the other took me home, for 2 days. When the guy with three kids had car trouble, I took him home, via the public school to pick up the oldest from practice. We had each other's cell numbers, which came in handy when the third guy had a fender-bender and needed someone to pick him up from the scene.

So, long story short, I don't currently carpool, but am ready, willing and signed up to take advantage when available!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I did for about a year when I lived in the DC area and commuted downtown. Actually I was in two different pools (one for school and one for my job). The work pool had four people in it, and if you didn't show up at the appointed time and place, you figured out some other way to travel. When I moved from MD to VA I regularly took the bus and subway, so didn't need to pool. Sometimes drivers looking for bodies to fill their cars so they could use the HOV lanes would pull up to the bus stop and ask for riders. That created a temporary pool I guess. Because of my irregular work hours and dating habits (usually dating geographically undesirable women) I preferred mass transit to pools since it gave me more freedom.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I've only seriously carpooled once and it went for 9 weeks.

Carpooling with the driver was great. We were both new at the workplace at the same time. We helped each other with tips, information, and etc that we gained throughout the day. Sometimes, while stuck in traffic, we would share moments that were funny, absurd, idiotic, etc. It was a great way to start the day and to end the day.

Plus, I've given rides to a few people to their homes when their cars broke down or their spouses were out of town. I've enjoyed this.

However, I must say that all of my carpooling experiences involved short drives of between 10 to 15 minutes. The thought of having to carpool for 45 minutes with someone for years and struggling to know what to talk about with that someone because we aren't similar irks me!

Registered
    Dec 2006
    I carpooled 2 days a week a few years ago and really enjoyed the "being driven" aspect of it as I read the paper or just zoned to tunes while I stared out the window.

When I started my own company carpooling went out the window!!! Now that I am with the city I have put myself on the available carpooler list. I would like to say that I am doing it to serve the greater good but unfortunately I am a self center ahole and am only doing it to because in los angeles it can take 1.5hours to move 10 miles on a freeway!!
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I don't like the idea of a pool in my car... hot tub maybe

I will car pool if I know that others are going to the same place, at the same time, as I am. It is often for work, but rare otherwise.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Right out of college, I lived in Tampa for awhile and car-pooled with 4 guys from the office. One guy was so anal he wouldn't wait an extra minute on his day to drive, even if he saw you pulling into the parking lot. Another one had a tiny car, and with me being the shortest, always made me sit in the middle back seat, over the hump. He also would not use his a/c (in Florida!). It was about a 45-min commute. In the mornings, I'd get to the office with my hair sticking out in 30 directions, and get home limp from the heat.

I eventually moved to the town where my job was located. It was so small, if my car was in the shop or broken down, I just walked 3 blocks to the main drag. Somebody from work would always recognize me and pull over to give me a ride.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. Swimming pools and water conservation
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Sep 2006, 2:02 AM
  3. Fence requirements for pools
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Mar 2006, 10:35 AM