Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: McGill admissions

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007

McGill admissions

Although perhaps I'm the only person here still waiting to hear from McGill, I finally broke down and e-mailed admissions.

The said they'd be making final decisions "The 3rd Week of April" which would also be after the April 15th 'deadline' that most schools have. Thankfully, I don't have a deadline to abide by, but it struck me as somewhat... um, less than respectful of the process (or applicants) to wait so long (they also advised me 'perhaps you can ask other universities for an extension') to give a response.

Perhaps someone who knows a little more can illuminate me, but I have a suspicion that they're trying to thin the ranks of American/International applicants (is the 15th the general deadline for most Canadian schools?) that they don't consider 'A-1' candidates by forcing them to accept elsewhere first.

Have they been 'late admitters' in past years? Am I just far down the list?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    seems like we should be hearing back from McGill this week.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    I feel your pain - I'm still waiting to hear from them too, and they're my top choice. Have no idea if they're always late like this every year. I just hope we hear soon so this waiting game can end!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Anyone hear anything yet? The 15th has passed and it is the 3rd week of April. With exams, full-time work, and this waiting game, I am slowly going crazy. I must keep myself occupied with something else in the mean time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Nothing yet...I came very close to calling them today and asking them when we're going to find out already but decided not to. Don't want to tick anyone off at the last minute!

Have you visited the school yet or are you planning on doing that after you hear if you're accepted?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    It's Thursday, still no news.

I'm calling tomorrow.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I am also going crazy with this waiting. But not too optimistic, I think we will have to wait until the next week, thatís what they said to me. But, do you know if they had a first round already?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    I do believe the first round of offers has gone out, it must have. I heard nothing from them today and I wil be calling tomorrow to check in. argh, at least i finished one exam today; a bit less stress in my life.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    I called.

"We're hoping to get to everyone by the end of April"

Also, the woman on the phone did say that they're e-mailing out decisions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    hmm...well you saved me from calling them. great, two more weeks of possibly waiting. stress here i come.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    nothing yet. at what point do i ask for my application fee back?

Hey everybody,

I talked to Gladys (the grad administrator) today. She told me I'm on the waiting list - And she told me if you haven't received an acceptance email from her then you're on the waiting list too - or you've been rejected. Their policy is to NOT tell you your position on the waiting list, so you may be accepted in a couple of weeks, but after the first two week period (which is the deadline for those who made the first draft (which was last Friday I believe)) you most likely won't hear from her until August. So, to sum up - the first round is indeed out - and for those of you out there that do get in (either now or in the summer) - give yourself a big pat on the back - cos' this is one competitive program!

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Not even a rejection or waiting list notification. I am starting to think that I was the worst applicant. Letís see what happen this week, but it doesnít seem serious.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Newfoundland2000 View post
    Hey everybody,

I talked to Gladys (the grad administrator) today. She told me I'm on the waiting list - And she told me if you haven't received an acceptance email from her then you're on the waiting list too - or you've been rejected. Their policy is to NOT tell you your position on the waiting list, so you may be accepted in a couple of weeks, but after the first two week period (which is the deadline for those who made the first draft (which was last Friday I believe)) you most likely won't hear from her until August. So, to sum up - the first round is indeed out - and for those of you out there that do get in (either now or in the summer) - give yourself a big pat on the back - cos' this is one competitive program!
    Wow, she really told you all that? That sucks. Haven't heard a peep from them so I guess now I'm hoping I'm on that waitlist with you. Did she say we'd receive notification if we're rejected?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    She stated that if you are on the wait list or are accepted now, you will receieve an email, if you dont receive an email, then you will be rejected with a letter in the mail.

August sadens me, is it not possible to find out how many spots are remaining prior to that month?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    I'm not liking all this waiting, especially considering how some of my other friends got accepted at other schools well over a month ago. Newfoundland, did you just ask her straight up if you were on the waitlist?

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I just called, the lady on the phone said a couple of days. We didnít talk too much, and she didnít say anything to me about waiting list. So, just wait. But I donít like this waiting.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    ah, yea, I was going to say looks like Im not going to hear back from them before Friday. Hopefully we will find out before the start of May.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Waitlisted. Turns out I got an email yesterday afternoon but didn't see it until now. I'm a little happy, but only a little? lol Not sure what to make of this

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Anyone hear anything this week? Are we all on the waiting list?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    i was rejected. i will reapply in the coming years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    goldeneye - sorry to hear about that The longer this wait goes the more I feel as though I might have a similar fate.

Registered
    May 2008
    I just got rejected last night...i've been visiting this site for 2 months keeping an eye on this thread.

I have an 87 average and I go to an IB school, where I have a point total of 31. People from my school have gotten in with 28 point totals in the past, so I'm so let down. I REALLY wanted to go to McGill. I can't believe how high the admission average is this year for Arts.

Do you think it's worth appealing?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by cjmew View post
    I just got rejected last night...i've been visiting this site for 2 months keeping an eye on this thread.

I have an 87 average and I go to an IB school, where I have a point total of 31. People from my school have gotten in with 28 point totals in the past, so I'm so let down. I REALLY wanted to go to McGill. I can't believe how high the admission average is this year for Arts.

Do you think it's worth appealing?
    From what others have posted here it does seem like this year they were just too tough. Were you waiting for the core program or the ud concentration?

As for appealing, I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with the point system you mentioned. Is that something for particular schools?

Registered
    May 2008
    The points have to do with the International Baccalaureate program. I go to Upper Canada College (a private school)...but lots of public schools offer the IB too. Basically you get your ontario diploma when you graduate AND an IB diploma. Certain IB courses transfer to 1st year university credits...if you are familiar with the AP (Advanced Placement) program, it's similar to that.

On the McGill website it mentions that you can get in with either your Ontario marks or your IB marks, and I know someone at my school got in with an IB point total of 29 this year during their 1st round of admissions, so I'm really curious about how they made their decisions.

I'm gonna talk to guidance at my school and hopefully they can clear this up...but in looking at McGill's appealing policies, it looks like the only way you can be reconsidered for entry is if your marks go up after final exams. Eek.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. What school? McGill or Penn?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 7:39 PM
  3. Replies: 8