Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP: I met my deadlines, why can't they?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

AICP: I met my deadlines, why can't they?

Alright, I'm one of those folks that is still looking to join AICP despite their *ahem* imperfect certification maintenance program. My employer is paying for my exam. I submitted my application several days prior to the deadline for the May exam, and followed-up with my education/employment verification a week later (they give three weeks). So, I met all of their required deadlines.

According to the AICP website, test notices should have been sent by email on April 4th. I have not heard so much as a whisper from them. My application is still listed as "pending and under review" on the AICP website. No one has picked up the phone when I called, and all I get are auto-responses from aicpexam@planning.org.

I met my deadlines, so I expect AICP to meet theirs. If they can't, then they need to find some people that can review these applications in a timely manner. These applications are not rocket science. If I can't sit for the AICP exam in May, it will affect whether I receive a raise in the next fiscal year (starts in October).

Has anyone else not heard from AICP on their May applications?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Yup just did. My application was denied because they didn't receive my transcript in time. Funny though, my transcript left California Feb 10, yet they didn't receive it until sometime in March, yet they received my employee verification in less than week. I am really really PO because i have been committing time away from my family to uber prep for this thing the last month or so and for them to tell me i don't qualify even though i met all the deadlines? It's F'in horse sh*t
    Last edited by Raf; 08 Apr 2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typos
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I just got my Authorization to Test yesterday (at 11:00 PM or something odd like that).

I understand the auto-reply messages and not being able to contact anyone from AICP - that's been my experience as well. You know, 'cause it's not like people would have questions or anything, especially when you rearranged the sections on the test without telling anyone. Not that I'm bitter with APA/AICP about that or anything...

AICP- I met my deadlines too... and haven't heard back

Me too. I applied back in September 2007 as soon as they began accepting May applicants. They really shouldn't tell us that they will review the applications within 6 weeks. It's been over seven months in my case. I was told I would hear by April 4, 2008 and most applicants had heard by then, then Saturday, then Monday, and now Friday April 11, 2008 is the new time they tell me I'll hear by. I feel like I'm the last person to get approved, and I'm afraid by no fault of my own, I may wind up with a testing site far away and at a horrible time. Instead of studying, I've been checking my email like a hawk, and worrying that I'm not good enough to be a candidate for AICP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright, I'm one of those folks that is still looking to join AICP despite their *ahem* imperfect certification maintenance program. My employer is paying for my exam. I submitted my application several days prior to the deadline for the May exam, and followed-up with my education/employment verification a week later (they give three weeks). So, I met all of their required deadlines.

According to the AICP website, test notices should have been sent by email on April 4th. I have not heard so much as a whisper from them. My application is still listed as "pending and under review" on the AICP website. No one has picked up the phone when I called, and all I get are auto-responses from .

I met my deadlines, so I expect AICP to meet theirs. If they can't, then they need to find some people that can review these applications in a timely manner. These applications are not rocket science. If I can't sit for the AICP exam in May, it will affect whether I receive a raise in the next fiscal year (starts in October).

Has anyone else not heard from AICP on their May applications?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I'm not looking forward to this. I can't submit any paperwork until July 18th, which is my third year anniversary (minimum three years required for a college degree). I won't hear back from them until the end of August (at the soonest) which only leaves me roughly 10 weeks to study. I am setting aside about 150 hours to prepare for the exam, which equals roughly 15 hours a week for 10 weeks through early November. It sucks that AICP can't get their act together. Fortunately, I have been able to speak with someone from AICP each time I call.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I could go on and on about how inept their office appears. I sent my application to them last November. I kept close tabs on my status and noticed an employer letter was not received so I contacted them. It took them 3-4 weeks to reply (and that was after I sent multiple emails to them begging for their reply) They never received it. So I had another one sent by certified mail. It still took them something like three weeks after that to tell me they'd received it even though I had a signed confirmation receipt. I got my ATT about the same time as everyone else.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Four people in my office applied for AICP in May. None of them got any reply before the so called deadline of April 4th. I wrote an email to request for an explanation and got disapproval in 3 days. So I suggest all of you, NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT THE DELAY or you are doomed. Fortunately, the colleagues that I mentioned in my email got approved later.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Update: I FINALLY got my approval.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by juh150 View post
    Four people in my office applied for AICP in May. None of them got any reply before the so called deadline of April 4th. I wrote an email to request for an explanation and got disapproval in 3 days. So I suggest all of you, NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT THE DELAY or you are doomed.
    Seriously? Did they give you a reason for the disapproval? I'm surprised they would do it out of spite just for asking about delays, because a new AICP member = extra dues and revenue from CM programs.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I complained about the delay, too and got an email three days later saying I was approved. I might delay until November because I'm not as motivated to study anymore.

Has anyone used the Planetizen prep course? They have these quizzes and exams that are so easy that I don't want to fool myself into thinking that I'm ready for the test when I might not be.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. PSA - RFP deadlines
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Jun 2012, 5:04 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Nov 2009, 12:28 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Nov 2008, 7:10 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 2:46 PM