Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans LA (Broadband - pictures)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are some images from our recent visit to NOLA. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer. You get the idea.

First, The Garden District that is located a short trolly ride from the French Quarter.

Give me a few minutes and I'll post the French Quarter pictures. If you can't wait, they're in the cities album.

Okay, back from filling up my wine glass. Here's the French Quarter. (Mods, go ahead and combine the posts. Thanks.)

The inn where we stayed.

Just for the few of you...

There are more in the album...I'm getting tired of linking.
    No, I can't hold a camera level. Sue me.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 08 Apr 2008 at 7:35 PM. Reason: double reply, user request (actually by NHPlanner but I screwed up trying something else.)
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Here are a few pics of a cemetery in the Garden District.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0047.jpg   IMG_0048.jpg  

IMG_0049.jpg   IMG_0050.jpg  

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Amazing town. Nice pics, they give an oveall idea.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    The shots of brass bands (more tuba!), interesting retail, and Beignets & Coffee At the French Market are to come, I'm sure.

When I was a kid, the hitching post youngster statues were African-American. (Actually, at that time, "colored.") Now they are all Caucasian. Huh.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Thanks for taking me back to those memories. King B and I were there just before the hurricane. It really is beautiful.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    So, whether from a tourist's perspective or not, how much would you say life has returned to normal since Katrina down there? I think the Census estimates the NO metro gained back more than 80% of the population that left. Is it visible? Just wondering.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think that's the cemetary where they shot that tripping scene in the movie "Easy Rider".
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    great pics. you even got one of my favorite houses in the Quarter.

*sigh* i miss NOLA. i was spoiled. how lucky was i to be able to run down to the Quarter whenever i wanted. i didn't take enough advantage of that.

there are tentative plans for me and the fam to head down to NOLA next Feb. i hope it works out.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I went on a walking tour of the Garden District in 2000. The guide told us the house in #10 was owned by Trent Reznor of NIN fame. He had the crape myrtles planted for privacy. Is that kids' play equipment in the yard? Wow, its difficult to imagine Reznor with kids. I wonder if he still lives there. My friends sister used to live in the area and once went to a charity ball at the house. She got to meet him and was surprised at how normal he, and the interior decor, appeared. I'd expect Damien Hirst artwork and very gothic appointments. #14, we were told, is owned by the author Anne Rice. Looks like its for sale. Probably complete with vampire coffin.
    I love N.O., though I didn't just see the pretty parts. I had a local give me a driving tour and I saw some places that were just a hair above 3rd world living conditions.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by boilerplater View post
    I went on a walking tour of the Garden District in 2000. The guide told us the house in #10 was owned by Trent Reznor of NIN fame. He had the crape myrtles planted for privacy. Is that kids' play equipment in the yard? Wow, its difficult to imagine Reznor with kids. I wonder if he still lives there.
    The walking guide we had from Frommer's said John Goodman subsequently owned it, but I don't know how up to date even that is, it may be somebody else now. Apparently the NIN guy inspired some changes to NO's anti-noise ordinances.

Another place we saw was owned by Nicholas Cage at some point. It used to be a religious facility and still had the name, Our Lady of Perpetual (something, can't remember) on a structure in the garden.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here are the remaining pics from the gallery. A couple are not technically in the Quarter but on an adjacent block.

I'll stop posting due to the lack of interest.
    These images were up 48 hours with zero views.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I really enjoy NO. Lately my work has taken me there once or twice a year. If I am lucky, it is early in the year. NO in July is a bit too warm. I will be there in two weeks.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Regional bias, anyone?

We take the time to post images and few of you view the full size pictures in the gallery. That's frustrating to us. Oh wait, it's a southern city not some rust bucket in the Midwest or Northeast.

I'm done with this exercise.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Just found this thread. I have been collecting pictures of St. Charles Avenue Garden District homes and intend to make them black and white images applied in a random pattern on my guest bathroom wall as wall paper.

We used to live in NO and never really appreciated it until we left.

Sorry about so many power lines that spoil the views.

Thanks for the pictures.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    We take the time to post images and few of you view the full size pictures in the gallery. That's frustrating to us. Oh wait, it's a southern city not some rust bucket in the Midwest or Northeast.

Please forgive me for not posting. I rarely look at the galleries in the gallery section of Cyburbia unless I'm looking for something specific.

Anytime I see pictures like this of New Orleans, it always reminds me of what a significant role it played in the economic development of such a vast swath of the country. People often underestimate the role of that port in making the Mississippi such a integral part of the movement of goods, particularly cities like St. Louis, Cincinati, etc.

NOLa has some of the most unique architecture and urban layouts found in the world. It reminds me of the colorful history found in many southern cities, though NOLa has its own special charm. Few places have had such a profound influence on American culture and economics.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

Jeez Jake, don't gety maudlin on us...

I tend to look at the photos in these threads.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the great photos RJ and ZG, i was wondering if N.O was a place i would like to visit when i travel to North America and your photos have inspired me to definately visit
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I noticed a lot of closed shutters! Such a lovely, lovely place. I have never been to NO but hope to visit at some point. I would really enjoy the cemetaries, I love doing rubbings of interesting gravemarkers.
    Responsible Beverage Server since March 26th, 2008

Registered
    Nov 2005
    i didn't even know there was a gallery on this site for photos.

Registered
    Aug 2001

We're back from another trip. Hope you enjoy.

Magazine Street.

Out to Algiers via the ferry.

Welcome to Algiers.

I'll post more from the French Quarter when I get them reduced. Needless to say, we had a great time!!!!
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I enjoyed looking at these. Thanks for sharing them.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Good pics. I haven't been back to NOLA since 2004, the year before Katrina. The French Quarter is interesting once but after that I was more into the architecture and the food (with a little bit of something to wash it down). My favorite respite from boring conventions was always to hop on the St. Charles Trolley to ride and look.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Been a long day. I'll reduce the remainder and post them tomorrow night. There might me a few more that I haven't linked.
    I'm not much of a photographer, but thanks for the comps.

Ya'll gotta get there for the experience. Oh, and wake up early and walk the streets--just before dawn--to see the strippers walk home. And ya just might get solicited, too. That's the story I heard.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2007
    RJ, nice job on the pictures. I keep saying I need to get down to NOLA at some point, this time under more pleasant circumstances. The last time I was down there was in October 2005, right after Katrina, I was working with an animal rescue organization from my college. We went down to help take care of many of the animals that were found in the aftermath of Katrina as well as helping to gut some of the houses.

Doubt I will get to go to APA next April down there, so I may need to make a trip down there this fall or winter.

Thanks for the pictures RJ!

Registered
    Aug 2001

A few more...

On the Tulane University campus.

Pictures from the Garden District.
    We took the trolley out and back from the Quarter.

The French Quarter.

Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hey from New Orleans
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Jul 2012, 9:02 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last post: 07 Mar 2009, 12:22 PM
  3. New Orleans