Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Campus signage

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Campus signage

not sure if this goes here or in land use -

since I heard crickets chirping the last time I posted a sign question, I will post a specific one:

what if anything to you allow or regulate for campus signage - by campus I mean an industrial park, a research center as well as a college/university/boarding school -

thanks!!!!!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Our only college campus is public and we can't touch it when it comes to regulating signs.

We do not differentiate between uses when it comes to signs--only whether it is residential or non-residential. Our sizes vary based on location (freeway, regional highway, regular city streets).

Is there something in particular you are looking for?

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we have 3 candidate properties for campuses - one private college and 2 private non-profit reseach center. These campuses all have multiple entry points and a significant amount of frontage. So the one ground sign per busienss or the usual direcitonal sign requirements really don't work here -

Plus, we want to encourage a more holistic approach (have I been here too long or what ) to signage by seeing the whole package, the whole site and what the signage needs are to safely, conveniently move people into and around the site and perhaps with a little style - so it's more of a performance standard approach than the typical 2 sq feet per x linear frontage kind of thing

Registered
    Jul 2007

sign plan

I'm not sure what perspective you are writing from, but in my experience large projects with multiple buildings and frontages have submitted a signage plan. The signage plan became part of the rezoning ordinance (PUD)...A plan would promote uniformity throughout the campus with sizes and designs.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Are you asking about the signage for individual buildings/tenants or for the campus itself? Virtually every place I have seen has allowed entry signage that identifies the "Green Fields Technology Campus" and wayfinding signage within the development.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Cardinal - all of the above, yes - I was trying to come up with succinct wording and i was wondering if people give more allowances for more signs in these cases than for a single lot tenant scenario?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I would suggest some option along the lines of a comprehensive campus sign plan that is tailored to the needs of a large educational (if applicable by law) or office/industrial campus.

This way you can build in flexibility where needed.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tree Campus USA
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Oct 2013, 10:59 PM
  2. Zoning Campus zoning
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Oct 2012, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Apr 2003, 9:50 AM