Urban planning community

Poll results: Will the stimulus checks make much a difference in the overall economy?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I expect them to help turn the economy around

4 7.41%
  • No, the extra money won't do much to help the economy

50 92.59%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the $600 surplus checks make a difference?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Will the $600 surplus checks make a difference?

George Bush has admitted that the economy is not as strong as it was, while the rest of the world has already realized we are in a recession. George and others promise us that all we have to do is wait for the stimulus checks to start arriving in our mailboxes and we will see a boost. Will it be enough? Is an extra $600 going to make a difference in your budget?

As for me, I fail to see how $50 per month would really change the way I spend. It barely makes up for the rising costs of gas and food.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    It is all bullshit. From where did this money come?

Do your part to stick it to the man... spend the stipend check on paying off some debt.

Do not do the rampant comersumer thing and buy a flat screen.

Do something good.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Paying off the last of my trip to San Fran this past weekend, I was good and did not spend any money down on 8th st.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Mine is going in my RothIRA. I am philosophically opposed to the stimulus checks. All they have accomplished is increase the country's already embarrassingly astronomical debt. It was political pandering, nothing more. Prolonged, expensive wars have consequences.

I will be laughing uncontrollably when nothing improves during the summer.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I voted yes. In the sort term, it will help the economy. Short term is between now and when the checks are spent. Money in my pocket and not the Governments is always a good thing. The wife and I will be using it to pay down on Student Loans. Some people will go out and spend it, which will increase the profits of retail organizations on which most of our world revolves.

In the long term, it may hurt the economy, and hurt much worse if the next President raises taxes.

Personally, I think that this overall concept is a stupid idea. Best thing is for the next President to find a way to end this war and greatly cut spending. I am talking eliminating some serious government programs and agencies. Additionally cut budgets for Senators and Congress people. Elected people don’t work that hard and they don’t deserve the money they make. Eliminate all special interest groups and prohibit people from accepting any gift, what so ever, from any lobbyist.

Beyond that, the economy is up do us. People need to start spending less than they make, saving more than they do now, and making smart decisions about money. Imagine a world where the only loans are home or business loans. Students graduate college with no debt, you own your car, and you don’t pay on Credit Cards. Imagine the amount of money you would have to spend then!

Challenge – Over the next week or so, look at what you pay in Loan and Credit Card Bills. This includes student loans, car loans, and anything other than your home loan. Look at how much you pay those people per month. Now imagine what you could buy with that. *Personally, I would use it to pay off my home. Imagine not having a home loan too!
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    When you get the check, you should find the nearest child, preferably your own, and tell them "thank you" and "I am sorry." Because they are the ones who are going to be saddled with this enormous national debt the current "don't tax but do spend" administration is generating.

Or better yet, put the boodle in his or her college fund. That is what I plan to do with mine.

The stimulus package is a joke.

I read an article recently and I wish I could recall who was the author. The gist of it was that if we really wanted to stimulate the economy, we should create work programs to repair our crumbling infrastructure rather than give a tax refund. Work projects would serve the public good, create jobs, stimulate sales in construction and support industries and the money would go into the economy once again when that money is spent by workers on goods and services.

Of course the $600 has better PR cachet than the government creating jobs.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 2005
    This is total BS...once again the old slight of hand.....this is OUR money to begin with. If you could give it back WHY DID YOU TAKE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I can not figure out out if Bush and his cronies are out right crooks or just incompetent. I can not wait for this crew to get the Hell out of Washington....on to some new crooks for a change!
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't think many people will use it for "extra" spending. I think with the economy, not as many people will save it like the government is scared of, but I sure don't think people will be buying the "extra" tv or "extra" car that the government is so keen on making us believe will jump start a troubled economy.

People will use the money on things they need and will enjoy that the government is paying for them. I like free money, but it isn't really free now is it....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I will use it to pay down debt.

Where did it magically come from.
    I was in a meeting the other day where I heard that work force programs had been cut. That people that had been told that they would be recieving funds to assist them with school/ babysitting/milage have beentold there is not money for it. "yes we told you that you would get it but now you won't."
    Anyone can understand budget cuts. But to be awarded the money and then oooppps we just are not going to give it to you is just wrong.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    'Tis a steaming pile of cow dung. I will pay off my one credit card with it and have a couple hundred left to stick into savings.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I am philosophically opposed to the stimulus checks. All they have accomplished is increase the country's already embarrassingly astronomical debt. It was political pandering, nothing more.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

Last time the feds sent out "rebate" checks - I think we got $500 - we donated the entire amount to charity organizations that we support. They needed it more than we did.

This time we may end up using part of the money only because it's scheduled to arrive just before we leave for vacation.

For those on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum, the money may help a little in dealing with the rising cost of food and gasoline. They pay a much higher percentage of their income on food, housing, and transportation. But encouraging people to spend the money on non-essential retail items is ridiculous. Many of these goods are made in Asia, for God's sake -- how is that going to stimulate our economy?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I had to buy a new dishwasher (made in the USA) last month when my old dishwasher broke beyond repair. Charged it. I'm using the stimulus check to pay off the credit card.

If you buy a large screen television with the check, either buy it at Costco, where workers are treated well and paid a living wage; or get an Olevia, some of which are made or assembled in the USA.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    all the people i've spoken with regarding the $600 have mentioned they will be paying down debt.

no one has mentioned buying anything new.

i'm considering using it as extra principle on my mortgage or student loans.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I read an article recently and I wish I could recall who was the author. The gist of it was that if we really wanted to stimulate the economy, we should create work programs to repair our crumbling infrastructure rather than give a tax refund. Work projects would serve the public good, create jobs, stimulate sales in construction and support industries and the money would go into the economy once again when that money is spent by workers on goods and services.
    I thought of this as well.

Imagine if we put the Iraq War budget on infrastructure programs and hired out of work people to build it. As long as no more dams get built I am happy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Read an article in USAToday that basically said what we all have been - most everyone will pay down debt or put it in college fund/retirement. That's where ours is going, paying off two credit cards, leftovers will go in Wee P's college fund.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yes I believe giving taxpayers $600 this tax season will usher in a New Era of Prosperity; jobs will be created, our nation's wealth will grow, the grinding poverty that has for so long oppressed the working class will at long last be lifted. With all the new found wealth the nation will finally be able to turn it's attentions to education and social justice and the next generation of Americans will grow up to be mostly computer engineers, biologists and financiers of development around the world. People will stare at one another for the first time with open eyes and hearts as their newly developing sense of social justice will enable everyone to see one another as individuals and all bigotry will end. Nations from all over the world will strive to emulate the shining beacon of hope this nation will come to once again represent.

The only drawback I can see is all the work that will be necessary to revamp our calendars, as the years will henceforth be measured in accordance with their passage since the Advent of this Historic Act.

There is a slim chance that all this might not come to pass if folks decide instead to piss away their money just buying more crappy Chinese consumer goods from Walmart and thereby just add further to our trade deficit. But I'm extremely confident that we're too smart to let that happen.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Whether people use it to get themselves above water again, sustain higher costs of living, or actually donate it or spend it on something, all the better right? No, it may not get us completely out of the downturn, but at least it will help people a little bit, so that they can continue to be participants in the national economy.

Sometimes you just gotta let the economy run its course though. Things will get better eventually, with or without this rebate check

Personally, I'm not expecting a check. Maybe only $300 if anything, since I don't make that much interning, being a full-time student and all.

If I do get the check, I'll likely be paying my parents back since I might need a little help from them with upcoming expenses in May/June before I start working and getting paid again this summer.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine is going towards the $6000 + medical bills already incurred and not covered by insurance so NO.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Like others have said - spend (digital camera and car loan - would then be 3 months ahead in paying it of) and save what is left.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We were going to use our $1200 (good to have a kid, eh?) to buy a second kayak (used), but due to the dog crashing into a wall chasing a frisbee a month ago, we will just put it in savings to offsets that expense (which has already been paid).

I really want a second kayak, though.

And I agree that it really won't do much of anything for the economy and it is simple pandering to make the end of the Bush II presidency look better to history (or not). But I'm certainly not sending it back.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'll be using it to pay for my rabies shots. Seriously.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    Well... I it isn't doing me anygood... I don't qualify... no kids, single income that is INFLATED because I live in a very high cost area. The break off isn't even medium income in my county...so it is a load of crap to me.

The same think bothers me about APA dues being based on salary...my cost of living is probably at least 30% higher than most.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    I'll be using it to pay for my rabies shots. Seriously.
    Is there a story here?

I may buy a cd, the rest will go to paying down the car note. The whole stimulus package was political bs. Like meister said said, if you spend it, it will just to increasing the trade imbalance. If I want to give money to the chinese, I'll go down to the local chinese restuarant.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Apr 2008 at 2:18 PM. Reason: double reply
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Is there a story here?
    Yes, do a search for "rabies" here and the thread "I am so creeped out and screaming..." is what you're looking for.

The checks are neat. They won't do any good, but I like getting more money back.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Hey, aren't these checks considered income? Won't we be taxed on them next year?

This is slowly motivating me to begin my Libertarian compound... any land for sale in Montana

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 21 Mar 2010, 6:53 PM
  2. Do you make a difference?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 9:43 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Sep 2007, 2:16 PM